Blizzard Has Announced the Newest Overwatch Hero: Ana

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Blizzard Has Announced the Newest Overwatch Hero: Ana

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1335/1335800.jpgThe newest Overwatch hero is a healer-sniper, just like everyone thought.

As was teased last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167876-The-Next-Hero-in-Overwatch-Might-be-a-Sniping-Healer], the newest Overwatch hero is a support-class sniper. But instead of Sombra, it's a brand-new character named Ana.

Ana, who is Overwatch character Pharah's mother, will be armed with the biotic rifle that Blizzard showed off in a tweet last week. The weapon will heal allies and inflict ongoing damage on enemies. Her other abilities include a sleep dart that knocks enemies unconscious (damage wakes them up), and a biotic grenade that heals allies and damages enemies within its radius. After hitting any of her allies with a boost, they'll "temporarily move faster, deal more damage, and take less damage from enemies' attacks."

While Blizzard hasn't set a release date for Ana yet, they do say that she'll be released "soon," although we all know what that word means in Blizzard's lexicon. You can see all the details on Ana over at her page on the Overwatch official site [https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/ana/].

You can see some gameplay with Ana, as well as her Origin story, in the videos below.

[gallery=6333]

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
ffronw said:
Ana, who is Overwatch character Pharah's mother, will be armed with the biotic rifle that Blizzard showed off in a tweet last week. The weapon will heal allies and inflict ongoing damage on enemies. Her other abilities include a sleep dart that knocks enemies unconscious (damage wakes them up), and a biotic grenade that heals allies and damages enemies within its radius. After hitting any of her allies with a boost, they'll "temporarily move faster, deal more damage, and take less damage from enemies' attacks."
I'll clear a few things up:
- The Biotic Grenade has 2 other important effects: Allies in it get double healing (I see Ana+Luccio being a very potent combo for this) and Enemies in it cannot be healed for a short time by any means (that ripping sound you hear is the meta/competitive scene tearing itself apart)

- That "boost" effect is her Ultimate, not something her regular attacks do.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
She looks pretty neat. I like the fact that she's Pharah's mother. Don't see that sort of thing often in ensemble games like this.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I'm going to guess she'll be coming for season 2, that's August which is soon (not soon enough though!)

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Fappy said:
She looks pretty neat. I like the fact that she's Pharah's mother. Don't see that sort of thing often in ensemble games like this.
Well, looks like Grey got his wish [http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1330/1330221.png]

I look forwards to her shattering the Healer stacking meta though. It might make the games more enjoyable to watch.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
Her mother? Ok, what's up with all this nepotism in Overwatch recruiting? The world could always use more heroes, as long as those heroes are related to existing members? :p

Sep 24, 2008
If that boost is her ultimate, then this character feels ok to me.

No one I'm ever going to touch. Hate Snipers with a passion. But she has a good place on teams.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Now people can stop whining that there are no older women in the game.

Looks like she's completely different to Sombra though, which is surprising. Considering that Ana Amari is evidently a good character, while Sombra is an acquaintance/friend of Reaper. And has seemingly hacked into some Overwatch systems on some of the maps.

And it definitely makes more sense that Sombra would be Spanish/Mexican, and not Egyptian.
Also I think would be a tad redundant another sniper lady on the bad side.

Sombra means shadow, now I'm pretty sure Bliz said there won't be a stealth character, so I'm curious what Sombra will turn out to be.

Necrozius

Jun 21, 2016
She looks awesome. Also her inclusion will dampen the accusations of sexism (not a skimpy costume), racism (another non-white character) and ageism (she's over 50).

I love the concept; can't wait to try her out.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Given that I already like Zenyatta for his deceptively potent long range capabilities and ranged heal/debuff she sounds like a great fit for me.

Really looking forward to the update.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
Spacewolf said:
Can anyone make out who is in her scope in the backstory video?
Looks like Widowmaker to me, the spidermask thing she's got on is a dead giveaway

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Fappy said:
I like the fact that she's Pharah's mother. Don't see that sort of thing often in ensemble games like this.
They could write "It's Pharah's neighbor, who thinks it's an epileptic gay ostrich" and it would be just as meaningless.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Solkard said:
Her mother? Ok, what's up with all this nepotism in Overwatch recruiting? The world could always use more heroes, as long as those heroes are related to existing members? :p
Pharah is not a member of Overwatch. I don't think there are any (revealed) family members who are both in Overwatch.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
This is very good. Non-lucio supports right now are either too squishy, have no escapes, or require you to be right up in the thick of things. Ana solves those problems by allowing you to heal from an incredibly long range, as well as having an escape if someone sneaks up on her. A very interesting design. Her biotic grenade seems almost OP in the current meta, in King of the Hill maps its a death sentence for the enemy team if they are gathered on the point.

Ed James

Apr 2, 2010
Big problem here is that she's been shot in the right eye and she's right handed. What's he mumbo jumbo for her being able to scope and shot out of a blind eye?