Blizzard Has Announced the Newest Overwatch Hero: Ana

Jan 18, 2012
Ed James said:
Big problem here is that she's been shot in the right eye and she's right handed. What's he mumbo jumbo for her being able to scope and shot out of a blind eye?
Since cybernetic implant seem to be a thing, she could have gotten a mechanical replacement and uses the eye patch to fool people.

Ed James

Apr 2, 2010
Legomaniac91 said:
Ed James said:
Big problem here is that she's been shot in the right eye and she's right handed. What's he mumbo jumbo for her being able to scope and shot out of a blind eye?
Since cybernetic implant seem to be a thing, she could have gotten a mechanical replacement and uses the eye patch to fool people.
Sadly that isn't implied (I wish it was). As someone who can't see out of the right eye, I have learnt that there is a big issue with being right handed but left eyed.

The origins didn't imply any sort of cuberbetics, and why would a sniper try and fool people (unless your widow maker and are trying to pretend your a 'seductress' but have never actually deduced anyone, just either killed them or knocked them out.)

Achelexus

May 31, 2014
Kibeth41 said:
Now people can stop whining that there are no older women in the game. Especially those claiming Blizzard were sexist for their female cast apparently not being old enough.
I'm still seeing plenty of whining over trivial things like her not looking old enough or having "young skins" lol.

The big issue here is that another sniper will make matchmaking a terrifying experience.

Achelexus

May 31, 2014
Kibeth41 said:
And yet the hypocrites won't throw hissy fits over Soldier 76's and Reaper's young skins.
That's the internet for you, though most people seem to be just laughing at these hissy fits so far, so there's still hope.

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
Ed James said:
Legomaniac91 said:
Ed James said:
Sadly that isn't implied (I wish it was). As someone who can't see out of the right eye, I have learnt that there is a big issue with being right handed but left eyed.

The origins didn't imply any sort of cuberbetics, and why would a sniper try and fool people (unless your widow maker and are trying to pretend your a 'seductress' but have never actually deduced anyone, just either killed them or knocked them out.)
She still aims out of her left eye. Watch the gameplay trailer again.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Achelexus said:
Kibeth41 said:
And yet the hypocrites won't throw hissy fits over Soldier 76's and Reaper's young skins.
That's the internet for you, though most people seem to be just laughing at these hissy fits so far, so there's still hope.
Do these people really make a significant amount of complaints to actually matter? I mean I've seen nothing but praise and general hype for this character. This includes tumblr which people point towards the hot bed for these kinds of complaints. Perhaps it's time people unfollow certain social media personalities.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I've been playing Ana in the PTR, I have to say she could very well be a game changer in more than one way. She pairs perfectly with Reinhardt who becomes pretty much invincible and extremely powerful with her ultimate, one of her normal abilities can easily stop the ults of a variety of heroes (an effect which is more striking when actually playing, rather than being told about it.) She's squishy and can't get to the same places Widow or Hanzo can, but her skills more than make up for it.

However, also in the PTR it includes a pretty serious overhaul to D.Va, which I am personally very excited about. She seems much more balanced now.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
undeadsuitor said:
Ed James said:
she's that good?
Well it worked for Big Boss so why not

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Achelexus said:
Kibeth41 said:
Do these people really make a significant amount of complaints to actually matter? I mean I've seen nothing but praise and general hype for this character. This includes tumblr which people point towards the hot bed for these kinds of complaints. Perhaps it's time people unfollow certain social media personalities.
I don't think there'd BE any "hissy fits" over them since their just cosmetic and not actually canon, so they don't need to have a scientific mumbo-jumbo reason why THEY didn't age over the course of 30-40 years. And people just want to play different types of female characters, preferably ones that actually look like they have fought in a war.

hentropy said:
I've been playing Ana in the PTR, I have to say she could very well be a game changer in more than one way. She pairs perfectly with Reinhardt who becomes pretty much invincible and extremely powerful with her ultimate, one of her normal abilities can easily stop the ults of a variety of heroes (an effect which is more striking when actually playing, rather than being told about it.) She's squishy and can't get to the same places Widow or Hanzo can, but her skills more than make up for it.
Ugh, she's gonna have a high skill level, I already I know I'm gonna suck with her. Since not only am I a filthy casual, I'm filthy casual with a console and no voice chat (I like the silence). But atleast the attempt to master her will be challenging.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I love this character! An Egyptian woman who is, well, old, is a mother, has a missing eye, and is overcoming said missing eye to step up, and be strong for herself and others?
How often do we see a mother that knows she's a mother as a playable character, nevermind one who's someone of a mamma bear?

Granted as great as her back story is, doesn't seem to mean a thing to Overwatch in general since the plot is largely thrown out the window as adversaries of overwatch fight along side members of overwatch at the same time potentially are fighting doppelgangers of themselves.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
damn, sounds like widowmaker gets an early retirement and she is my favorite character. being able to heal your allies sounds like a neat idea. lately i do play more pahara so ana sounds like a nice addition since i like to go full in and keep my distance for a more relaxing play. i wonder if we have to pay for her.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
This is really good. Not only did we need another support character, but I am really happy that we got this one - a sniper - so hopefully all of those Widdowmaker mains might actually have a more useful role to play when the team is all locked in, and there isnt already a support.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
What's this? A new female character in Overwatch? So how many posts will it take for this to become about gender politics?

... Five? Well, it's better than four I guess.
Dragonbums said:
Achelexus said:
Kibeth41 said:
I've been unable to find any evidence of these elusive "hissy fits" yet, but I'm sure if I scour the Internet there will be at least someone somewhere who's in some way disappointed this isn't enough. So far, among the near unanimous praise for this character, I manged to find someone on Polygon mentioning the other female characters not looking their age, but nothing other than praise concerning Ana.

The closest thing I've found to outrage over this character is someone on twitter whinging about Blizzard taking diversity too far, and insisting there will be a wheelchair bound hero next, but no signs of the dreaded feminist anger.

Could it be that the preemptive snark over predicted feminist backlash is once again a storm in a tea cup at best, and tilting at windmills at worst? Hmmm ... it's almost as if some people want their opponents to act as unreasonable as possible to justify more internet quarreling.

Necrozius

Jun 21, 2016
FirstNameLastName said:
The closest thing I've found to outrage over this character is someone on twitter whinging about Blizzard taking diversity too far, and insisting there will be a wheelchair bound hero next, but no signs of the dreaded feminist anger.
In this futuristic setting, cybernetics are the norm, it seems, so including a physically disabled character would be badass, actually. Either we get a dude/dudette with robot legs or a Professor X hover-chair. Either way, pretty cool.

EDIT: yeah I know that there are other physical disabilities than being wheelchair-bound. That's just one example.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Rebel_Raven said:
I love this character! An Egyptian woman who is, well, old, is a mother, has a missing eye, and is overcoming said missing eye to step up, and be strong for herself and others?
How often do we see a mother that knows she's a mother as a playable character, nevermind one who's someone of a mamma bear?

Granted as great as her back story is, doesn't seem to mean a thing to Overwatch in general since the plot is largely thrown out the window as adversaries of overwatch fight along side members of overwatch at the same time potentially are fighting doppelgangers of themselves.
She checks all of the boxes for diversity, female, Egyptian, disabled... She just needs to be gay now.

Im just disappointed we get another sniper...

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I find this pretty interesting.
Not the character, the character is highly irrelevant.
I'm talking about the reactions and the company politics on display regarding Overwatch as a whole.

People here for example praise it. For what? For a highly inconsequential backstory.
Almost nothing what is written in the backstory will have any relevance whatsoever in the game because it's just another team based shooter without story. That she was a sniper will be the only thing of importance... duh.
But apparently that's praiseworthy.
You will kill her daughter in the enemy team no matter what.

Then there is Blizzard. The company that apologised and removed an animation because one person complained.
Apparently some people complained about the lack of old women or that females would not look their age or something [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/17114-Overwatch-character-roster-representation] and now an older looking women is added.
The coincidence.

What is missing from the cast? I see no black person.
Someone should complain about that. The result could be telling.

PCWatch.

Edit: Emma Honeywell, google it.

Feb 26, 2014
FirstNameLastName said:
A wheelchair bound hero would work very well in Overwatch. A character like Bentley from Sly 2/3/Thieves in Time would fit right it. With A hover chair, a seemingly unlimited supply of explosives with various effects including inducing rage and shrinking, a crossbow, sleep darts, and a remote controlled camera, with speakers, a grapple-claw, and a self-destruct option. Some tweaking may be required to fit into the game, but it would definitely work. If such a character were added I might just get the game, despite not being all that good.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Achelexus said:
Kibeth41 said:
Now people can stop whining that there are no older women in the game. Especially those claiming Blizzard were sexist for their female cast apparently not being old enough.
I'm still seeing plenty of whining over trivial things like her not looking old enough or having "young skins" lol.

The big issue here is that another sniper will make matchmaking a terrifying experience.
So it turns out people don't have a hive mind and you'll never release something that will get 100% universal appeal?

Say it ain't so.