Blizzard is "Exploring Some Options" to Improve Overwatch's Zenyatta

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
teh_Canape said:
how about a garvity well type of skill that flings all your teammates next to you when you activate invincibility so that you can actually make a push instead of using voice commands to tell them to get close and you don't end up wasting the damn thing because you're in the middle of a pack of morons
I am canape, I main Zenyatta, and I'm mad salty
Please not this. Gravity wells make aiming hard as hell as you're constantly moving in unpredictable ways. Plus, it would just make Zenyatta the "troll class". Can you imagine how many dicks would play him, and use their ult and just walk off a cliff with their team?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Dr. Crawver said:
teh_Canape said:
how about a garvity well type of skill that flings all your teammates next to you when you activate invincibility so that you can actually make a push instead of using voice commands to tell them to get close and you don't end up wasting the damn thing because you're in the middle of a pack of morons
I am canape, I main Zenyatta, and I'm mad salty
Please not this. Gravity wells make aiming hard as hell as you're constantly moving in unpredictable ways. Plus, it would just make Zenyatta the "troll class". Can you imagine how many dicks would play him, and use their ult and just walk off a cliff with their team?
I wasn't being serious, I was just pointing out that you have a skill that makes you and everyone around you invulnerable, but for some reason everyone tends to scatter the fuck out when you activate it

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I don't know if it's just the console version but I've been seeing more Zenyattas in play than Mercys in most of my matches. Though if I were suggest an improvement I would say give his ultimate an alternate switch to mode where he swaps out of healing his whole team in the area around him to boosting their damage by like 15-20% in the same area so it becomes a more situational skill. "Oh we have to keep a hold of this point? I'll out-heal as much of the damage as I can with my Ult." or "We're stuck at an impasse against the enemy team? No problem, my ult will boost our damage potential allowing us to push through." or something like that. Alternately I'd suggest him being able to throw two harmony orbs at a time and that he moves a little faster. Tbh I'm more concerned with how explosive damage and kills do not seem to match up at times with some D.vas and Tracers surviving their suicide Mechs and Mines because they were on the stairs slightly above them whilst others are a significant distance away but still get caught in the blast zone or how Pharah can take 60-70 max damage if one of her rockets land in a close proximity to her (read trying to get rid of a Tracer) but characters like Junkrat and Soldier: 76 suffer no reprecussions from close proximity to their explosive projectiles.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Well we need to consider why Zenyatta was nerfed in the first place. The "God Comp" of 2 Zenyattas, 2 Genjis, 2 Symettras, where Zenyatta's old "fire and forget" orb was used to buff the two Genjis into the stratosphere in higher levels of play. Having two health pool buffed, healing Genjis in your back line constantly coordinating and covering for each other made that team composition nearly mandatory for a long while in higher level play. So they made it impossible for Zenyatta's orbs to super buff those flanking characters by making the effect LoS leashed. And this works, the God Comp is no longer used in higher level play (Hi 2 Tracers, 2 Lucios, 2 tanks, you fucks will suffer as Zenyatta players have suffered...), however, it's gone a little bit too far and has served to highlight the flaw in Zenyatta. Without being able to exploit his orbs for flankers like that he doesn't really have a solid role in the game. Sure he deals pretty decent damage (I think his charge shot could do with charging a little faster) and Discord is somewhat useful but he's way too squishy for what his abilities and his speed should allow for. He can't rewind time like Tracer to heal himself, he can't wallrun away or jetpack out of bad situations or anything like that. He's just way too squishy with no way of actively getting out of those situations where his low HP pool suffers and so in higher level play he will just be picked off by any competent Tracer, or Genji, or Mcree, or Reaper, or Widowmaker, or anyone who can go "Oh look a low HP healer who's moving slowly in a predictable way? Must be Christmas!"

So there's my issue for Zenyatta, survivability. Make him a close in DPS-Support if you want to keep his orbs LoS leashed, but he needs to be able to live longer than 3s with his team in order to be useful. And no, his ult giving him temporary invulnerability doesn't count because people shouldn't have to rely on their ults to get them out of this kind of situation when most other characters have advanced mobility options.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
RJ 17 said:
Soooooo what about that D.Va buff to make her a better initiator? Just kinda gonna leave that one alone?
Breaking news: Blizzard thinks about more than one character at a time.
No shit, but it'd be nice if they actually implemented something they've announced before moving on to other things.