Blizzard is Hiring for an "Unannounced" First-Person Game

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Blizzard is Hiring for an "Unannounced" First-Person Game

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1362/1362942.jpgJob listings on Blizzard's website reveals a new project in the works.

Blizzard has posted two new job openings on its website, and they hint at a new project in the works at the Overwatch developer. The company is looking to hire a lead tools engineer [http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=160013G]. Both of the listings are found under the heading of "Unannounced games/projects."

More interesting is the fact that both jobs mention that the game will be built on "a robust first-person engine." Both listings also say that "Experience working on first-person or other action-oriented games" is a plus. Blizzard released its only first-person game, Overwatch, earlier this year.

So what could the new game be? There's no way to know, obviously, but let's speculate anyway. It could be a revival of the cancelled Starcraft: Ghost. Blizzard has also had listings in the recent past for an Art Director [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141934-Blizzard-is-Hiring-for-a-New-Diablo-Project] for an unannounced Diablo project, so maybe we could see a first-person entry in that series.

Of course, the whole thing could be for an entirely new IP. We'll just have to wait and see exactly what it turns out to be.

Briggins

Mar 22, 2009
ffronw said:
It could be a revival of the cancelled Starcraft: Ghost. Blizzard has also had listings in the recent past for an Art Director [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141934-Blizzard-is-Hiring-for-a-New-Diablo-Project] for an unannounced Diablo project, so maybe we could see a first-person entry in that series.
Diablo: Demon Hunter

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
It won't be a huge surprise if they have decided to make a first person shooter set in one of their existing IPs' given the success of Overwatch.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It's easier to point out what it won't be.

-I can't see it being a remake of StarCraft: Ghost. That was third-person stealth, and I don't see how first person would be an improvement. Not to say there aren't first person stealth games, but I count it as being unlikely.

-I don't think it's the same entry as the new Diablo project, mainly because the art director posting (and others) is listed under the Diablo section on the jobs page, while this is under "unannounced projects."

-I'm iffy about it being an Overwatch game, campaign-based or otherwise, because Overwatch is already first person, and I don't see how you couldn't implement a singleplayer campaign using its pre-existing engine.

So, it doesn't rule out a StarCraft FPS or a Diablo FPS (first person slayer?), but at the least, the former is unlikely to be Ghost, and the latter is unlikely to be the actual confirmed Diablo project. It likewise seems redundant to build a separate engine for Overwatch.

There's also another issue to consider - Titan. Think about it - Overwatch spawned from the game's PvP arenas, but what about the rest of its assets?

But besides, we all know deep down that it's a Blackthorne FPS. ;p

MetalheroDamien

Blackwing Hybrid Hero
Mar 25, 2010
Hawki said:

-I'm iffy about it being an Overwatch game, campaign-based or otherwise, because Overwatch is already first person, and I don't see how you couldn't implement a singleplayer campaign using its pre-existing engine.
This is persoanlly what I think it is, and it makes a lot of sense. You already have all the visual assets you'd need, at least as far as characters are concerned,and control wise, all the set up is done. All you really have to do is come up with a story, and there's plenty of that in the game already!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
MetalheroDamien said:
Hawki said:

This is persoanlly what I think it is, and it makes a lot of sense. You already have all the visual assets you'd need, at least as far as characters are concerned,and control wise, all the set up is done. All you really have to do is come up with a story, and there's plenty of that in the game already!
Why create a new engine for it though? I'm not saying Overwatch can't have singleplayer. it just seems redundant to release it as a separate product rather than DLC.

animeprime

Feb 18, 2013
I'm betting on a completely new IP. I get the feeling that Blizzard has realized they can't just rely on the Diablo/StarCraft/Warcraft trinity forever. They need to expand to other new universes to diversify, I seem to remember them saying that in an interview about Overwatch. Plus, it will mean more new characters for Hero's of the Storm!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I'd love something Starcraft related, but otherwise a new IP owuld be cool too!

I always wanted to play Starcraft Ghost...