Blizzard is Raising Prices for WoW Account Services in the UK and EU

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Blizzard is Raising Prices for WoW Account Services in the UK and EU

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1360/1360454.jpgIf you live in the EU or the UK, the cost of all World of Warcraft account services is going up next month.

Two weeks ago, Blizzard raised the price of Hearthstone card packs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169768-Hearthstone-Pack-Price-Increase] in the EU and UK, in response to what it called, "local and regional market conditions." Now those same conditions are being cited as the cause of increases to World of Warcraft account services planned for the first week of April.

The services include name changes, server moves, and other things, including the post announcing the change [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169484-Use-Your-WoW-Gold-to-Bolster-Your-Battle-net-Account-Balance], "We carefully review the prices of our games and services in all currencies on a regular basis, and we occasionally need to make changes based on regional market conditions."

You can see the full list of changed prices at the link above, but here are some highlights:

Character transfers: from €20 to €25 / £19
Name changes: from €8 to €10 / £9
Race changes: from €20 to €25 / £19
Character boosts: from €50 to €60 / £49

As you can imagine, players are not happy about this change, with many saying that the service were too expensive even without the hikes. If you want to get any of these services before the prices go up on April 5, Blizzard has them on sale through April 4 for 25 percent off.

You can find all the prices and info on the official World of Warcraft website [https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/news/20626043/price-changes-for-certain-wow-services-on-april-5]

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
More douchebaggerry by Blizzard, "Regional Market Conditions"; heavens forbid a corporation bites the bullet and supports its own expenses instead of throwing it on the shoulders of it's costumers.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
More reason for me to say no whenever any of my friends ask me to play X Blizzard game. Never did like that company.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Zulnam said:
More douchebaggerry by Blizzard, "Regional Market Conditions"; heavens forbid a corporation bites the bullet and supports its own expenses instead of throwing it on the shoulders of it's costumers.
Um... how exactly does a company "support its own expenses" without getting money from customers?

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
And here i am sorta scratching my head wondering what exactly is the cost here for Blizz? I mean as far as I can tell, all this stuff is an entirely automated process right?

Would love to see the numbers behind this that they used to arrive at these prices, but that will never happen I guess.

gillnavisingh

Stick a Cupca- AUGH!
Jan 13, 2010
WoW has been around for 13 years.
I think it's about time it finally kicked the bucket - even though I doubt it will ever actually happen before it turns 15.

Right now, I just feel bad for anyone that still plays it since there are so many other games to play in the TWO console generations (and the birth of Steam) that have passed since WoW's release.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Katherine Kerensky said:
Never did like that company.
Yes you did. Because if you never liked them you would not post about this topic at all.
That's a bit presumptuous, isn't it? By that logic, I "must have liked" Digital Homicide at some point, since I kept posting on the Jim Sterling in court [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.935964-Jim-Sterling-in-court?page=1]-thread.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Katherine Kerensky said:
Never did like that company.
Yes you did. Because if you never liked them you would not post about this topic at all.
No, I didn't. Your logic is flawed. I could throw up a whole host of examples of people griping about things they never liked, but I won't due to the potential to go off topic.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Zulnam said:
Literally nothing to do with Blizzard.

The price adjustment is happening in response to the value of the pound... Which has had its value absolutely plummet.

Many products, digital and physical, have had similar adjustments.
What this guy said. But gamers need to complain about anything and everything a game company does nowadays no matter how reasonable; I mean for goodness sake, it's gotten to the point where cheating in a computer game and getting banned for it is the company's fault and not the cheaters' - somehow. Go into any thread on this forum and count how many posts you get past before the first "never liked them anyway" or "time to stop playing X" shows up.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
gillnavisingh said:
I think it's about time it finally kicked the bucket - even though I doubt it will ever actually happen before it turns 15.

Right now, I just feel bad for anyone that still plays it since there are so many other games to play in the TWO console generations (and the birth of Steam) that have passed since WoW's release.
You are aware people can play WoW and also enjoy other games/consoles/etc. that are not WoW, right? I mean its not an alien concept to play more than one game...

gillnavisingh

Stick a Cupca- AUGH!
Jan 13, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
gillnavisingh said:

You are aware people can play WoW and also enjoy other games/consoles/etc. that are not WoW, right? I mean its not an alien concept to play more than one game...
That was not what I was suggesting.
I believe the game's quality has gone down drastically and it isn't worth the huge investment of time anymore.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
gillnavisingh said:
This might be a wild idea
but people can play more than one game at a time
not simultaneously of course
but just because I regularly play wow doesn't mean I haven't been able to enjoy other games in the meantime

OT:
I've used all of these services at least once while I've played, and while they certainly are expensive, I never thought they were too expensive
having paid name changes means that people aren't changing their characters names like they change underwear, so you don't don't have a guild (or friends list) full of randomly changing names

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Kibeth41 said:
Zulnam said:
Literally nothing to do with Blizzard.

The price adjustment is happening in response to the value of the pound... Which has had its value absolutely plummet.

Many products, digital and physical, have had similar adjustments.
Let me get this straight. The pound plummets, therefore all Euro-using countries get their price raised?

Slowclap.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Katherine Kerensky said:
More reason for me to say no whenever any of my friends ask me to play X Blizzard game. Never did like that company.
Except that it has nothing to do with Blizzard, it's valuta adjustments thanks to the pound dropping in value. That, and WoW is Blizzard's only subscription game so I don't see how this links back to games like Overwatch and Starcraft.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ffronw said:
Character transfers: from €20 to €25 / £19
Name changes: from €8 to €10 / £9
Race changes: from €20 to €25 / £19
Character boosts: from €50 to €60 / £49
Let's be honest here now, how many times does one player need services such as this? They are not altering the monthly subscription fee, this is just standard microtransaction junk. Completely optional, you most likely will never need it, enhance your calm peoples.