Blizzard Kills Patron Warrior With Hearthstone Card Nerf

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
2 mana Raid Leader would be pretty sweet in Shaman decks, what with all the totems and all. (Not sure about Paladin, Warhorse Trainer offers better value even if it only boosts recruits.) At 3 mana it could use 1 extra health, saving it from Holy Nova/Consecration and 1 mana minions.

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
linkblade91 said:
What?! Why? Warsong Commander was a lot of fun. Why not "kill" a Patron deck by, I don't know, nerfing Patron >_> Make the clones immune to Charge. Done. Solved. WC gets to keep being enjoyable, and the deck goes away.

Edit: For those with fewer cards, Warsong Commander was really helpful in getting a Warrior deck going. I don't even own Patron :(
Edit2: Or, let her keep the ability but drop it down to 2 or less Attack. Then Patron decks are still stopped, and her uniqueness gets to stay. WC is really bad now.
How about just changing it to "When ever you play a minion with 3 or less attack, give it charge". That way it would function with most of the things that it used to, but it wouldn't trigger on the extra patrons.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
TheLastFeeder said:
linkblade91 said:
What?! Why? Warsong Commander was a lot of fun. Why not "kill" a Patron deck by, I don't know, nerfing Patron >_> Make the clones immune to Charge. Done. Solved. WC gets to keep being enjoyable, and the deck goes away.

Edit: For those with fewer cards, Warsong Commander was really helpful in getting a Warrior deck going. I don't even own Patron :(
Edit2: Or, let her keep the ability but drop it down to 2 or less Attack. Then Patron decks are still stopped, and her uniqueness gets to stay. WC is really bad now.
How about just changing it to "When ever you play a minion with 3 or less attack, give it charge". That way it would function with most of the things that it used to, but it wouldn't trigger on the extra patrons.
Honestly, it wasn't even really the Patrons that were the big problem. It was the Frothing Bererkers. The Frothing Berserkers punished you for having a developed board against the Patron deck, as each Frothing could easily be pushed into the 15+ damage range and combined with the Patrons instantly kill you. It would have been better to make it so that The Warsong Commander only gives charge to Minions with 3 or less attack, and they lose it if their attack goes over that before they attack. With that, Patron gets nerfed without completely ruining the deck. It makes it so that Inner Rage and Taskmaster become less useful in making Patrons since then Patron needs to attack first, and makes it so that you get a chance to deal with the Frothing Berserkers, creating the counterplay that Blizzard wants. What Blizzard did here was really damn lazy and a slap in the face to their players

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Comic Sans said:
TheLastFeeder said:
linkblade91 said:

Honestly, it wasn't even really the Patrons that were the big problem. It was the Frothing Bererkers. The Frothing Berserkers punished you for having a developed board against the Patron deck, as each Frothing could easily be pushed into the 15+ damage range and combined with the Patrons instantly kill you. It would have been better to make it so that The Warsong Commander only gives charge to Minions with 3 or less attack, and they lose it if their attack goes over that before they attack. With that, Patron gets nerfed without completely ruining the deck. It makes it so that Inner Rage and Taskmaster become less useful in making Patrons since then Patron needs to attack first, and makes it so that you get a chance to deal with the Frothing Berserkers, creating the counterplay that Blizzard wants. What Blizzard did here was really damn lazy and a slap in the face to their players
This, so much this. The fact that Blizzard apparently went through 40 different iterations for Warsong Commander before they came up with "Raid Leader 2: Electric Boogaloo" boggles the mind...

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Mangod said:
Comic Sans said:
TheLastFeeder said:
linkblade91 said:

This, so much this. The fact that Blizzard apparently went through 40 different iterations for Warsong Commander before they came up with "Raid Leader 2: Electric Boogaloo" boggles the mind...
The fact of the matter is Warsong wasn't the card that was picked on just for the purpose of nerfing patron, it was because so long as it exists in any form that grants Charge Blizzard can't print any good 3/2/1 attack creatures that Warrior can have access to. Ben Brode has pretty much said that creating a card that granted charge in the first place was stupid of them because of how potent Charge is at neutering the ability of an opponent to interact with the game.

Edit: I'm also not even sure this is the death of Patron; this is a deck that can still crank out a full board of multiplying 3/3s on turn 5 with the fastest cycling in the game. Warsong Commander + Frothing were basically dead/tempo cards against Hunter usually, and that's one of Patron's best matchups

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
The problem with doing this to Warsong is that it's a basic card.
New players have it hard enough without adding another turd to the punchbowl

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
MCerberus said:
Lets face it new players are boned anyways. Unless they are willing to drop some coin into it they are going to be in for a very bad experience. There is little difference between ranked (past r20) and casual. Training mode does not prepare you for the horrors you will face out in the wilds. The only thing a new player has going for them is the tavern brawls where you are given a deck. Which is exactly what HS needs at this point. A permanent mode that offers the 10g for 3 wins + quests where you are given a basic premade deck to battle other basic premade decks. I love HS been playing almost daily since open beta but if I started now I would be hitting the uninstall button right quick.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
squid5580 said:
Lets face it new players are boned anyways. Unless they are willing to drop some coin into it they are going to be in for a very bad experience.
Sounds like Magic: The Gathering.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
The patron deck was only dominating because it completely ganked those rush decks everyone in tourneys used to love playing where your minions never had an attack higher than 2. If you roll a heavy priest or druid taunt deck, or actually have minions that scale with your mana like you're supposed to, then by the time turn 8 rolls around (which is the earliest they can guarantee combo warsong/patron) your minions will be too strong for it to do anything.

I ran a patron deck myself plenty of times. Apparently I must've missed out on this whole dominating thing.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
gigastar said:
Just wondering, why is a balance change in Hearthstone any more newsworthy than a balance change in any other game?
Because it completely reshakes the meta by taking one of the most popular and dependable decks in the game and completely destroying it in a game that doesn't see to many balance changes (For reference, their last balance change was over 7 months ago).

On topic: Farewell Patron Warrior, hello secret Pally and Mid-Range Hunter.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
squid5580 said:
MCerberus said:
Lets face it new players are boned anyways. Unless they are willing to drop some coin into it they are going to be in for a very bad experience. There is little difference between ranked (past r20) and casual. Training mode does not prepare you for the horrors you will face out in the wilds. The only thing a new player has going for them is the tavern brawls where you are given a deck. Which is exactly what HS needs at this point. A permanent mode that offers the 10g for 3 wins + quests where you are given a basic premade deck to battle other basic premade decks. I love HS been playing almost daily since open beta but if I started now I would be hitting the uninstall button right quick.
I'm not sure how Blizzard expects them to win without Dr. Boom, or Confessor Paletress, or Tirion Fordring, or you know what, nevermind.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
linkblade91 said:

You didn't run Warsong in any other Warrior decks. Control Warrior doesn't use her, she doesn't fit well into armor warrior, even the decks focused on hitting face didn't run her. Why? Because she wasn't mana efficent. a 3 mana with the stats of a 2 drop just doesn't sit well with tempo when it can't even give itself charge. Warsong Commander was the only reason it work for Warrior if it was allowed to exist, even in the state you suggested (charge for 2 attack minions), then it would just make developing 2 attack cards with powerful effects risky.

Does it suck? Yeah, but chances are, if you were just starting out and had some proficiency in card games, you weren't gonna take WC into your first warrior deck.