Blizzard Offers Fix for StarCraft Computer-Melting Bug

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Graphics cards are designed to be able to work under 100% load pretty much indefinitely.
There's basically 2 reasons your graphics card breaks from 'overloading':
#1: Your card isn't getting enough ventilation; Your fault.
#2: Your card is a defect; It'd happen eventually anyway.
Not including vsync in some parts of the game is really not such a big deal.
Vsync isn't even there to maintain your card.
It's for eliminating screen tearing.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
This is for the PC, imagine if this game was released for an X-Box 360 with he same bug on it...

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
Sims3 does the same thing..And that fix still hasn't come yet. Hopefully Blizzard can get things in order..as long as the devs can navigate through the huge wads of cash trying to get to their desk.

On a serious note reading some of the replies this has nothign to do with a dirty cases. This games FPS rate is waaay overworking vid cards and cpu's. Dust or no dust. Cans of air and a few vents isn't the issue here.

ShrooM_DoughKiD

Jan 14, 2010
Its good to see that Blizzard can offer a patch for something like this..
Whats going to happen with the people's GPUs' that overheated and subsequently melted or were fuxxed by this ever-so-large dick-like move?
Are they going to be reimbursed if they can prove that it was SCII? Or was the whole melty thing in the User License Agreement that nobody reads?

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
good thing I finished the campaign with no problems then huzzah excessive number of cooling fans. Still need a better graphics card though, anyone care to donate something better then a GeForce 8400?

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
thefreeman0001 said:
no wonder people say starcraft 2

*puts on shades*

...is the hottest pc title on the market.

YYYYEAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
LOL

That was brilliant. XD

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Nice tip, I really don't need another computer issue that I won't have the $$ to fix.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
200fps? That's it?
Counter-Strike: Source frequently runs at 300 and nothing has ever fried.
And I don't know if it was an issue with the frame counter, but Oblivion used to go crazy in the menus and show 1000fps...
Not everyone is running a super computer like yours, either.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
John Funk said:
The issue deals with the game's interactive menu screens that pop up between missions, where Jim Raynor can explore his flagship and chat with crew. While the rest of the game has limits on what can be rendered, the menu screens have no framerate cap whatsoever, and some computers will interpret this to mean "go hog wild." Rendering framerates of over 200 frames per second for extended period of times means that computers with insufficient ventilation melt themselves into oblivion. And that means you can't play SC2, and we don't want that.
200fps? That's it?
Counter-Strike: Source frequently runs at 300 and nothing has ever fried.
And I don't know if it was an issue with the frame counter, but Oblivion used to go crazy in the menus and show 1000fps...
that is something that would make you eyes bleed and your moniter exploding while your house is burning, for counter strike i think its ping, wich is not fps, and in oblivion i dont know what your talking about...still framerate average is from 30-60, 1000 is maybe in a far far far far future for normal gaming computers

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
slowpoke999 said:
This is for the PC, imagine if this game was released for an X-Box 360 with he same bug on it...
none would notice, the red ring of death is anyway coming to everyone

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh wow. Never knew about this! Well, at least they have made a fix for it!

Tazz Azreal

Sep 4, 2009
and this is the reason why i am staying with a daily dose of SC2 of a max of 5 hours a day, also anyone know how much it would cost to get a computer company like gizmos (or other small name PC company) to make a great pure gaming computer (for around $500 to $800)? im sittin here witha 4 year old E-Machine (sticker also shows H6415 Desktop PC) <-----thinking that might be the model type

FreedanZero

Jul 3, 2008
Thank You Blizzard. Here I was thinking I had a broken fan. Got 15 minutes through the third campaign mission and was sitting comfortably in backwater station waiting for transport when my computer cut off for overheating. Hopefully this will fix it.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
Would love to see a thermal image of the korean peninsula at this time.

just the entire southern half bathed in a red glow, and a few white hot spots round pyongyang as the missiles fly in fury at Starcraft 2 not being sold in their country.