Blizzard Sale Shatters World of Warcraft Prices

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
viranimus said:
Yes, I am now confident Blizzard is in panic mode. The events of yesterday in South Korea has them terrified at the prospect of loosing well over half of their "11 million", So now they hope to replace those toons that they are afraid will be lost in war.

Smart move Blizzard, but your not going to replace 5 million subs with a sale. Pretty much anyone who has any intention to play warcraft already does, or has. Really theres not that many people who were that on the fence about it after 6 years.
Korea's not that in to WoW. China is, Korea isn't. Korea -loves- Aion.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
tehroc said:
One question though, why would you need to buy the original game? Shouldn't the Cataclysm expansion replace the original game completely. I don't see any reason why you would need anything then but the two other expansions.

Also majority of Korean MMO players prefer Korean born Free to Play games.
The new game now *includes* Cataclysm - it was the patch that just hit on Tuesday for everyone. It also includes the base game, etc. Buying Cata only lets players roll Worgen/Goblins and level above 80. So frankly, if you don't want to be a Worgen or Goblin, and you aren't level 80 yet, might as well wait on it.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Don't care how much the initial game purchase is, am not paying $15 a month to play a game....

I really liked WOW for the free month I played it. Just could not bring myself to subscribe.

Roll on Guild Wars 2.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
It's a good sale, but if you buy it now, chances are you're not going to hit 80 before Cataclysm. So basically, the apocalypse will happen between one play session and the next as you're leveling up in that zone.

I feel like that would be pretty annoying. I never ended up leveling through Azeroth, but starting now would just be pointless.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
John Funk said:
The new game now *includes* Cataclysm - it was the patch that just hit on Tuesday for everyone. It also includes the base game, etc. Buying Cata only lets players roll Worgen/Goblins and level above 80. So frankly, if you don't want to be a Worgen or Goblin, and you aren't level 80 yet, might as well wait on it.
Cmon now I should be known to you as a WOW hater, of course I had multiple 80s in top end guilds during every expansion period. You don't really get the hater status until you become jaded over the game and direction it's taking. Anyways the way this site has described it 1-60 was all Cataclysm's domain. Meh sounds disappointing now that your only paying for 2 new races and just 80-85.

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
JaredXE said:
I can just imagine Blizzard as some skeezy guy in an alley,

"Hey, hey, wanna try something cool? It's real cheap and all your friends have already tried it."
Hey man, that was MY comment!

I only tried it once and it was many years ago. Luckily I didn't enjoy it, but I can only imagine how they must have changed and polished it. It's gotta be the finest skinner-box in the world.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
OMG... OMG... OMG... O...M...G...

I was just thinking that if I wanted to return to WoW, I had to spend quite a lot, maybe Blizz were reading my mind...

Now I'm REALLY tempted to return to WoW...

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Aurgelmir said:
Fr said:
anc[is]That $20 for the game itself isn't stopping anyone. $15 a month is
those 15 bucks, is what helps make the game great. If you can't shell out for that, then you are not worthy of playing the game.

Look at prices in dollar per hour spent in game, and you will see that WoW is reasonable cheap for a game you have probably spent several days in already.

Sure all the "other" mmos are going free these days, and well they will never out play wow anyways.

WoW is the best put together MMO on the market, and it would never be as big on a free to play model.

Sure they could maybe lower the price a bit, but its never going to be free.
Not "worthy"? Excuse me for insulting all mighty WoW. Lets look at my dollars per hour for TF2. $20/600hrs... ~3 cents an hour. Fallout 3 GotYE? $50/100hrs (that's a pretty conservative guess) = 50 cents/hr. Both of those games have lasted me about 1.5 yrs. 1.5 yrs of Wow and the game itself is $290. To get the same value as FO3 you would have to play for 580 hrs. For TF2? 9666 hours. 9666. And I'm a pretty average gamer. So no it is not cheap. And it is still a crappy game. Yes I have tried it. It is crap. At best it's a colorful time sink. At worst it embarrasses the potentially epic Warcraft story while getting harassed by other players.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
lewism247 said:
Sweet mother of jesus, I'm halfway through my first trial and I'm enjoy it.

Can people from the UK buy from the Blizzard store it is it US only?
http://eu.blizzard.com/store/

It is on sale there too.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Disappointing. I was hoping people were beginning to realize how evil WoW is.
Then again, it's hard to beat an addiction, no matter how stupid it is.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
@ SultanP

"Blizzard aren't just one guy who can only work on one thing at a time. They have multiple teams working on different things"
I am fully aware of that. I was stating instead of promoting a MMO that already plateaued and can only go down hill form here, that blizzard use their staff and resources more for other projects. 12 years in the making, and Star craft II only have the first of 3 Campaigns finished, with the segment for Zerg not due till 2012. I know these aren't the same peoples that maintained that meridional shit World of Warcraft afloat, But as Graham (from Ready Load Run/ ENN) stated in an ENN video, "you already have the units and interface done, whats stopping you from making a few maps"? (Yes I know ENN is Satire)

Making the base game $5 is a joke, when you factor in buying all the Expansions to an MMO.

I do not know about anyone else, but my first trail of WoW want me to punch babies.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
It doesn't matter what the actual game costs, if you have to pay 10 ?/$, or how much ever it is, for each month. That keeps me very much away. I have played it in 2004 for a couple months.

Grufflenark

Nov 17, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]
Aurgelmir said:
Fr said:
anc[is]That $20 for the game itself isn't stopping anyone. $15 a month is
those 15 bucks, is what helps make the game great. If you can't shell out for that, then you are not worthy of playing the game.

Look at prices in dollar per hour spent in game, and you will see that WoW is reasonable cheap for a game you have probably spent several days in already.

Sure all the "other" mmos are going free these days, and well they will never out play wow anyways.

WoW is the best put together MMO on the market, and it would never be as big on a free to play model.

Sure they could maybe lower the price a bit, but its never going to be free.
Not "worthy"? Excuse me for insulting all mighty WoW. Lets look at my dollars per hour for TF2. $20/600hrs... ~3 cents an hour. Fallout 3 GotYE? $50/100hrs (that's a pretty conservative guess) = 50 cents/hr. Both of those games have lasted me about 1.5 yrs. 1.5 yrs of Wow and the game itself is $290. To get the same value as FO3 you would have to play for 580 hrs. For TF2? 9666 hours. 9666. And I'm a pretty average gamer. So no it is not cheap. And it is still a crappy game. Yes I have tried it. It is crap. At best it's a colorful time sink. At worst it embarrasses the potentially epic Warcraft story while getting harassed by other players.
LOTRO is better than WoW anyways.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
tehroc said:
John Funk said:
Cmon now I should be known to you as a WOW hater, of course I had multiple 80s in top end guilds during every expansion period. You don't really get the hater status until you become jaded over the game and direction it's taking. Anyways the way this site has described it 1-60 was all Cataclysm's domain. Meh sounds disappointing now that your only paying for 2 new races and just 80-85.
No, think of it this way:

Buying main game, you get the game itself - the engine, the graphics, the base game, etc. BC gives you Belves and Draenei and 60+ content. WotLK gives you DKs and 70+ content. Cataclysm gives you Goblins and Worgen and 80+ content.

All the rest, comes with the patches. So when you buy base WoW now, you are buying WoW post-4.03 - that is, post-Cataclysm.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
stinkychops said:
Thanks but no thanks Blizzard.

John Funk said:
viranimus said:
Yes, I am now confident Blizzard is in panic mode. The events of yesterday in South Korea has them terrified at the prospect of loosing well over half of their "11 million", So now they hope to replace those toons that they are afraid will be lost in war.

Smart move Blizzard, but your not going to replace 5 million subs with a sale. Pretty much anyone who has any intention to play warcraft already does, or has. Really theres not that many people who were that on the fence about it after 6 years.
I actually find this post incredibly offensive, making light of an incredibly dangerous political situation. Do you really think this is the case? Really?

That's not even speaking about the sheer ignorance over the fact that a huge chunk of that 5 million is in China.

There's so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin.
Sheer ignorance? Over one factoid?
Incredibly offensive? It troubles every moral you hold?
Incredibly dangerous? Its been this way for a while. When is it alright to make a joke?

Come on funk, I like you, but your fanboy is showing.
I have close friends in Seoul right now. Sorry you feel that way, but it's not a situation I like to see people making light of.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Well at least they can say it is working, I've never been asked so many noob questions in my life. Where did you get that mount? What is ICC? What happen to the portals in Dalaran?(oops, not a noob question, but just been asked a million times today)