Blizzard Sale Shatters World of Warcraft Prices

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Blizzard Sale Shatters World of Warcraft Prices

Thanks to Blizzard's current sale on World of Warcraft, it's going to be tough to stay away from the Cataclysm.

With significantly change [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Pc/dp/B002I0HKIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1290567276&sr=8-1-spell] the entire game as it's been known for the past six years, many gamers are likely still trying to decide if they should either check the game out for the first time, or make a triumphant return to Azeroth. Blizzard is making that decision easy for them, as it's selling every World of Warcraft product it has for extremely cheap on the Blizzard Store.

A limited time sale has knocked at much as 83% off of the retail price of World of Warcraft and its expansions. The original game is going for just $5, as is its first expansion Burning Crusade [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Expansion-Burning-Crusade-Pc/dp/B000BWZY7Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1290567323&sr=1-1] which raised the level cap to 70, opened up Outland, and made greens as good as purples for the first time.

Wrath of the Lich King [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Wrath-Lich-Expansion-Mac/dp/B000VJTJNE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1290567323&sr=1-3], World of Warcraft's second expansion, is selling for 75% off at just $10. Lich King raised the level cap to 80, added the Death Knight class, and sent players into Northrend where their once awesome flying mounts were grounded by frost.

If you've been on the fence about trying World of Warcraft, $20 is a damn good deal to get up to speed, aside from December 7th's Cataclysm expansion of course. If you want that too, it'll still run you $39.99, though buying a digital copy from Blizzard will be the quickest way to play [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104662-Buying-From-Blizzard-is-Quickest-Way-to-Play-Cataclysm].

The sale is available from the Blizzard Store here [http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=p:110000034,p:110000018,p:1100000265,p:110000044].

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I can just imagine Blizzard as some skeezy guy in an alley,

"Hey, hey, wanna try something cool? It's real cheap and all your friends have already tried it."

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I wish they would lower subscription prices for the actual game. I mean I would love to pay 10 dollars instead of 15 a month.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
You could play for almost 6 months before you start paying more then the normal retail price. Very clever Blizzard, very clever.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]That $20 for the game itself isn't stopping anyone. $15 a month is
Considering they have more subscribers than anyone, I'd say it isn't stopping many.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yes, I am now confident Blizzard is in panic mode. The events of yesterday in South Korea has them terrified at the prospect of loosing well over half of their "11 million", So now they hope to replace those toons that they are afraid will be lost in war.

Smart move Blizzard, but your not going to replace 5 million subs with a sale. Pretty much anyone who has any intention to play warcraft already does, or has. Really theres not that many people who were that on the fence about it after 6 years.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Good deal...

...But I already own all of those. I also uninstalled WoW yesterday, so that's it for me. :eek:

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
I haven't played WoW for years... but 20 bucks... thats awfully tempting. However, my lack of a credit card foils their dastardly scheme!

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
viranimus said:
Yes, I am now confident Blizzard is in panic mode. The events of yesterday in South Korea has them terrified at the prospect of loosing well over half of their "11 million", So now they hope to replace those toons that they are afraid will be lost in war.

Smart move Blizzard, but your not going to replace 5 million subs with a sale. Pretty much anyone who has any intention to play warcraft already does, or has. Really theres not that many people who were that on the fence about it after 6 years.
...What happened???

Jiraiya72 said:
Considering they have more subscribers than anyone, I'd say it isn't stopping many.
Same could be said for Farmville, doesn't mean it's not a shitty game

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]
viranimus said:

...What happened???

Jiraiya72 said:
Same could be said for Farmville, doesn't mean it's not a shitty game
I don't know if farmville offers actual subscriptions, but even if they do, 2/3 of them don't subscribe.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
viranimus said:

Blizz has Korea covered. [http://news.softpedia.com/news/Korean-World-of-Warcraft-Subscribers-Get-StarCraft-II-for-Free-145591.shtml]

And you're forgetting the substantial demographic (including myself) that quit WoW, but are now being lured back in by a brand new Azeroth. Gnomes in Gnomeragan again! Worgen PCs! I can't wait.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
viranimus said:

I actually find this post incredibly offensive, making light of an incredibly dangerous political situation. Do you really think this is the case? Really?

That's not even speaking about the sheer ignorance over the fact that a huge chunk of that 5 million is in China.

There's so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
viranimus said:

It is China that have over 5 million subs...
S.Korea only have around 2 million. (ETA from the number of servers. china have 300+ while S. Korea have around 100)

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
wow, great. if only they had done this a month ago, so that people would actually have had time to catch up before the launch.

and maybe my brother and I wouldn't have had to pay full price for the expansions.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
.... Really? I know somethings dont exactly translate into text, but come on you guys couldnt see that as being a joke? I mean come on, the average P2P MMO supports an average of like 500k-1m subs. Is it really that realistic to think im serious in saying Blizzard would be worried to loose half their subs and still be more than 5 times bigger than the industry average? Come on, lighten up guys.

Edit: Although I do respect it might have been a touch insensitive making light of a situation that popped up where people did die, basically yesterday.