Blizzard Spills All the Beans on Diablo III's Runestones

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
Yeah, they're essentially the equivalent to Glyphs in WoW (+5% critchance, -knockback but +damage, polymorph->penguin) but with much MUCH more variety.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I just mailed my friend the link and he wrote back:
"Didn't you hear they changed this game's name to Diablo: Forever?"

Seriously, I want this SOOOOOOOOOOO bad! :')

JUGGERNAUTBITCH

May 20, 2011
ChildofGallifrey said:
Just when my life and career are going quite well for me, the universe just has to throw out a sequel to the ONE game I became obsessive over.
hahahaha i feel u son. We used to play this game with all the dudes from my class. best time(wasted)of my life.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
qwerty19411 said:
Went from 33 runes in Diablo 2 to 5 in Diablo 3? Still looking forward to this, but still... only 5 runes...
5 Runes... per spell. Each which does a completely different thing. This isn't even *comparable* to the D2 system.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
qwerty19411 said:
Went from 33 runes in Diablo 2 to 5 in Diablo 3? Still looking forward to this, but still... only 5 runes...
I dunno if you have much clue of either game but the runes in Diablo II are nothing like the runes in Diablo III, much less fun in design in fact. The runes in D2 don't change your skills, adding unique features to the spell etc. pp.

Hell... those runes don't actually change the skills at all -_-

So you should reconsider your point.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
John Funk said:
There will be a respec option, I believe.
There will be. In fact, somewhere in the past couple years (a couple years ago being the last time I played D2 and this feature wasn't there), Blizzard patched Diablo 2 to allow respeccing. See, that's one of the cool things about Blizzard. 10-year-old game, it still gets updates. I think you're only allowed 3 per character (one for each difficulty, it's offered as a reward for completeing an Act I quest), but it's still a step up.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
qwerty19411 said:
eh, well in D2 they just did small things like slight increases in stats/damage ect. In D3 it seems that they can drastically change the way the ability is used.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
And those ruens affect every skill? yoy that would be awesome. Imagine the depths the PVP will have. Diablo 3 will truly OWN!

I was thinking to roll barbarian but meh Witch Doctor has such awesome looking spells.

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Eric the Orange said:
qwerty19411 said:
Runes could also be aligned on weapons to create something more powerful. The right runes in the right order, placed in the right weapon and its slots, could result in an entirely new weapon to use..
I was rather meh on THAT. It was just a piece of gear, but dropped in 3-6 installments, which you could misclick the order and ruin everything. In the two years i played d2 i never found anything above 6th rune.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
cursedseishi said:
Eric the Orange said:
qwerty19411 said:
eh, well in D2 they just did small things like slight increases in stats/damage ect. In D3 it seems that they can drastically change the way the ability is used.
Wrongo.

Runes could also be aligned on weapons to create something more powerful. The right runes in the right order, placed in the right weapon and its slots, could result in an entirely new weapon to use..
Really, huh, never knew that. I guess that game was made back in the day before the internet, and after the internet I never bothered to look up things about it.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Eric the Orange said:
qwerty19411 said:
Wrongo.

And honestly, I'm rather "meh" on this. At least one example of runes for each skill is something you'd end up seeing in a talent tree to begin with, so all they are doing is moving it from a talent to something you'll have to equip, so you only really have 4 "unique" effects, not five. The Golden rune is the big culprit for that.

They should drop these stupid names and go with something closer to D2's system. Let us combine two runes together within a skill to give it completely unique effects, instead of the lesser effects of the rune. Like with that plague of toads skill... you could combine the giant Toad rune with... the rain of toad rune perhaps, and all of a sudden summon a giant toad that hops in and out of screen, dealing light AoE and possible poison damage with each landing. Or maybe take the giant toad rune and combine it with some other rune, and all of a sudden you got a summon where the giant Toad lashes his tongue out, grabs an enemy, and performs a whirlwind-like attack by slamming said enemy into everything around it.
You realize your suggestion would multiply the work on every single spell for every single character in the game by a factor of five, right? That's completely unreasonable. Not to mention the fact that since runes are dungeon drops, having as few as possible is a good thing. Maybe I want to improve my Wall of Zombies spell but I keep finding these damn Giant Toad runes. The way it's set up now is much more streamlined and convenient.

And the game isn't using a talent tree anymore. Passive bonuses will come in the form of "Traits."

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
I love blizzard it looks really quite cool! The Firey thing the barbarian does with his whirlwind looks sick

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Eric the Orange said:
qwerty19411 said:
Wrongo.

Yes, but runewords are still just items. D2 runewords are just another way to get items, D3 runes have real impact on skills and spells.
In the end, D2 runewords are just more unique items, while in D3 they provide more spells choices. it is obvious which is better.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
Sweet Jebus - I don't know if my wife is going to appreciate Blizzard very much once this game is released. She already has negative views on WoW - and I don't even play that game.

AmbitiousWorm

I'm going to leave this blank.
Dec 2, 2010
DAMN YOU BLIZZARD!!! Making me spend thousands on a gaming rig...just so I can play this game....and 2 others....one of them made by Blizzard....DAMN YOU AGAIN!!!

But this system of runestones seems so much better than Diablo 2. Sweet socketed armor! Now I will just wait half the game until I find the best runestone....NM found better armor.