Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
cursedseishi said:
steeple said:
Crimsane said:
"And, at the end of the day, how many people are going to want to do that?"

Idk, thousands of people?
my thoughts exactly...

cant believe that they want to make this shit the norm...
Actually, I think the number would be equal to those who hated SC2 and its online because Blizzard flat out spat on anyone who even thought of considering some form of LAN play, of course multiplied by some degree that I have yet to determine though I'm certain its rather high.

This smacks of the same rotten scent about the whole "REAL ID" fiasco a while back. What do you expect though? Activision took over Blizzard, the same numbnuts running that company are now controlling Blizzard as well.
thing is, I'm not sure if activision are to blame. I mean, as much as I would like to pin it all on them, blizzard is still independent about how their games are made, so it's pretty hard for me to say "god damn kotick" on this too...

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I'm with every one else on this so far with comments. It was stupid and ignorant to expect people to come up to this "always online" deal even when only playing by yourself. Well, so much for getting D3... maybe Torchlight 2 instead.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Do people still not get it, it's not intended to be a single player game, the comparison with AC2 is false.

It's always online for the same reason guild wars 1 and 2 will be when it arrives, same as world of warcraft or the upcomming star wars the old republic.

If you avoid this game then i must insist that you avoid all thoses others because they are no different.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Yeah, sure they were surprised.

Yeah, sure, it has nothing to do with DRM.

Separate user flows my ass.

Hey, Blizzard, you want to do this?. Fine. You lose but money. But at least respect us and don't take us by complete morons by coming with the BS spin.

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"I'm actually kind of surprised in terms of there even being a question in today's age around online play and the requirement around that," Bridenbecker told Battle.net [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/08/04/blizzard-vp-surprised-over-fan-reaction-to-diablo-3-online-requirements/] and now with Diablo 3, it really is just the nature of how things are going, the nature of the industry. When you look at everything you get by having that persistent connection on the servers, you cannot ignore the power and the draw of that."
See, this is the problem. He's not surprised about how people would not want online only play. He's surprised at how we're not accepting that this is "the nature of how things are going", and why we don't roll over and accept it.

What exactly do we gain? Nothing. (Seriously, can anyone tell me a thing the player gains by having an always on connection?)
What do we lose? Well...dial up (Yes there are some about still) are pretty much screwed. Bandwidth chokers are up in force...generally we're just being told that if we want to play the latest game, we must be wired up to Blizzard HQ at all times. And that's a benefit to us.

It isn't. It never has been, and until you can show something that means that the always on is a benefit to us, then it's unlikely we're going to stop complaining about having to alter the way we play games.

And if you knew anything about your customers, you'd have known that from the start. Which is why I'm suspecting that you did, and you're trying to play it down.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
This Just In!

Robert Bridenbecker joins the ranks of other idiots who think:

"Always Online is Cool!"

Grats....now please place your head on the block so we can chop it off!

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
How about all of the players now complaining? By the sounds of it, there's quite a few that would love it.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
It's official Blizzard has crossed the line to just not getting it anymore. Getting locked out of a single player game when you can't access internet is just plain dumb.

If it's about cheating, make online and offline seperate
If it's about the AH, don't allow offline characters to use it.
If it's about DRM, admit it.

Let's look at this from the view of the Empire here. Online only is DRM so that means the game is pirated less. Their AH is secure so that means more transactions for Blizzard to make fees off of.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
steeple said:
cursedseishi said:
steeple said:
Crimsane said:

Idk, thousands of people?
my thoughts exactly...

cant believe that they want to make this shit the norm...
Actually, I think the number would be equal to those who hated SC2 and its online because Blizzard flat out spat on anyone who even thought of considering some form of LAN play, of course multiplied by some degree that I have yet to determine though I'm certain its rather high.

This smacks of the same rotten scent about the whole "REAL ID" fiasco a while back. What do you expect though? Activision took over Blizzard, the same numbnuts running that company are now controlling Blizzard as well.
thing is, I'm not sure if activision are to blame. I mean, as much as I would like to pin it all on them, blizzard is still independent about how their games are made, so it's pretty hard for me to say "god damn kotick" on this too...
isn't it obvious to people that this descision is based on the huge money spinner called WoW that got released after diablo 2, you can't play that offline either

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
Wow. Not even considering buying this now. And I have high-speed wireless. Makes me glad I didn't give Blizzard any money for Starcraft 2.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Salad Is Murder said:
I'm surprised whenever I see "Game CEO is shocked at negative response from gamers". It's like, HELLO, have you been on the internet, like, EVER!?
Yea, what rock did he crawl out from...oh right, he works at Blizzard.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
cursedseishi said:
jamesworkshop said:
Do people still not get it, it's not intended to be a single player game, the comparison with AC2 is false.

It's always online for the same reason guild wars 1 and 2 will be when it arrives, same as world of warcraft or the upcomming star wars the old republic.

If you avoid this game then i must insist that you avoid all thoses others because they are no different.
Yes, because Diablo 3 is an MMO.
yes that is excatly what they have made, people are thinking that diablo 3 was just some graphical update/remake of diablo 2 which clearly is not the case.

everything about this game screams guild wars, mmo, instanced player groups, single one time payment and subscription free.

soloing a mmo is not the same thing as a single player game

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I just love how oblivious the man is "What there are people who don't love us unconditionally?! Impossible!"

But Blizzard is a behemoth and they can stomp on their user base any way they please.

Kian2

Oct 20, 2010
Seriously, is the guy trolling? Is he suggesting that the people at Blizzard didn't listen to the fan outcry at SC2 not having LAN capability? How disconnected from your own target demographic do you have to be to be surprised?

I'd have understood if he said he expected some resistance, but hoped the benefits of online connectivity would make people come around or whatever. I don't know what the most grating thing is, that he lies, or that he thinks people would be more accepting of the lie ("we don't pay attention") than the alternative ("we really prefer online and that's what we're going to make"). Or the risk that they really are that oblivious. Way to put out a fire with gasoline.

Also, how stupid is the argument "We don't want people to have to start over when they come online"? Really? Because people in WoW only ever have one character. Why would anyone want to play the game again with a different class? That's madness.

It's like the guys in Extra Credits pointed out. People who just don't care can still thrive in this industry.

darksaber64x

Aug 15, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Oh, oh, me me!

And pretty much everyone I know that would be willing to get this game.

Now I'm not too sure about getting it, since I wouldn't be able to play it whenever I want to. Ugh, companies are so short sighted sometimes.