Blizzard Unveils Completely New Overwatch IP - Update

Dire Trout

Jan 6, 2014
Rhykker said:
an entirely new IP
Rhykker said:
a team-based multiplayer first-person shooter
...well, it's new for Blizzard, I suppose. Seems to me that we're not exactly short on multiplayer shooters, though--in a world that already has Team Fortress 2 and Borderlands and Sunset Overdrive and who knows how many others, I'm not sure why this needs to exist. Hooray for not being gray-and-brown, though. And extra-hooray for loads of female characters (though boo for the near-Liefeldiness of a couple of them, especially the sniper).

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
Looks like a TF2 butt fucked Monday Night Combat and produced this lazy wank. Colour me unimpressed, doubly so if you have to pay for it. Blizzard had the MMO market, they capitalized on that at a good time, Starcraft is still going strong and they have a half decent card game but a MOBA and an FPS? Yeah, that's really what we need more of.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Looks like a lot of fun!
And at the same time rather tedious. I mean there seem to be a lot of one shoot abilities and a lot of micromanagement involved.
Did they say anything about the business model of the game? ? Accessible sounds suspiciously like F2P? which in my books has never been a good sign.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
That's all I've ever wanted out of TF2: colorful environments that are fun to hop around, colorful characters with fantastic abilities, and gorillas. Besides that, it seems Blizzard's taken several pages from the best competitive games on the market. If they don't distinguish themselves in something besides the aesthetic, this seems like it would die on the vine.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
I mean it looks really well polished and impressive, but I'm not sure I like the MOBA/Shooter hybrid all that much.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
i like how blizzard is using a tun of women in this game, with out making them all overly sexual. I think they understand that women are a under tapped market in these kind of games, and are making an effort to tap it. Which is good for every one. Plus sexy male archer is great eye candy xD I can see my self liking this more then team fortress 2.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Kinda puts me in the mind of a cross between Team Fortress 2 and Tribes: Ascend with a little angle of modern Disney animation style. Neat look to it.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Yeah we get the whole 'not all the supports are women' thing, can we talk about the game please? (would be nice to have seen some kind of female cyborg or creature though, only 2 of the male characters are conventional human looking compared to all of the females.)

Cool and all and it's nice to see a pre-rendered trailer alongside some sort of gameplay.
Does seem a bit like many of the classes are too self-sufficient though, just about all of them including more defensive characters and supports seem to have a lot of damage potential in general and stuff like the British chick having a rewind ability on top of the ability to teleport around like a maniac and the sniper lady having access to mines seems like they're good enough all round on their own to not have to rely on teammates too much. It'd be like if Scout from TF2 could jump back in time whenever he gets in trouble rather than having to coordinate with teammates to avoid getting in trouble in the first place, and if Sniper had landmines he'd have way less of a need for teammates to watch his ass while he gets to work. It doesn't feel like there's much teamwork required beyond straight up killing stuff for everyone to be effective.

Another thing is overall this game seems a lot like Battlecry and Battleborn, that now makes at least 3 upcoming vaguely Pixar/otherwise cartoony styled arena-based LoL/TF2 hybrids which seem to be at similar levels of development at the moment and will presumably come out at roughly the same time. While Battlecry is third-person and Battleborn has an apparently pretty big co-op mode it does seem like whichever one of these ends up 'better' will likely snatch up a lot of players who otherwise would've went to the others. At the moment at least it doesn't feel like all three of these games can have good lasting popularity.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
It will likely be a moderately popular game that won't enter the e-sports scene. I certainly have no interest in watching it.
Good. I'd rather it stay out of the "e-sports scene". I prefer to play video games, rather than watch other people play video games. And this video game looks fun to play.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
michael87cn said:
Activision-Blizzard showing how it "won't/hasn't" changed the company...

How a company rooted in making RTS games, and then MMORPGs goes straight to making fucking shooters (like we don't have enough of them) is beyond me. I don't like it. nope.

In fact, I straight up don't like blizzard anymore. Used to love them. What a shame. They're basically controlled by call of fucking duty.
Which is why they're making a game which is much more like Team Fortress 2 than any of the Call of Duty games.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I am massively disappointed by this announcement. Why does it have to be a competitive arena shooter? Blizzard could have made the same game as their 'Borderlands' without basically changing anything except the level structure.

I really don't appreciate their focus on competitive online genres they've shown in the last months.

And yes, I'm bitter because I suck at multiplayer, but aside from that Overwatch screames wasted potential when you look at the saturation of game genres.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
michael87cn said:
Activision-Blizzard showing how it "won't/hasn't" changed the company...

How a company rooted in making RTS games, and then MMORPGs goes straight to making fucking shooters (like we don't have enough of them) is beyond me. I don't like it. nope.

In fact, I straight up don't like blizzard anymore. Used to love them. What a shame. They're basically controlled by call of fucking duty.
That last statement makes zero sense. At all. I can't even offer a rebuttal because it makes so little sense. How on earth do you draw a link between /this/ or anything Blizzard has put out and Call of Duty? That's some serious tin foil string work there.

More to the point, why, if you think this is some CoD conspiricy, would Activision make them compete with their /own/ product?

Blizzard can't catch a break with you guys "We're bring out a new game for one of our beloved series!" "GAH YOU'RE MILKING THE FRANCHISE!" "Okay, we'll make a new IP!" "GAHH YOU'RE SELLING OUT ACTIVISION *****!" What, they're not allowed to branch out, try new things? They had their roots in more than just RTS.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
The Goat Tsar said:
Smilomaniac said:
It will likely be a moderately popular game that won't enter the e-sports scene. I certainly have no interest in watching it.
Good. I'd rather it stay out of the "e-sports scene". I prefer to play video games, rather than watch other people play video games. And this video game looks fun to play.
How does a game being "in the eSport scene" prevent you from playing it?

Jan 18, 2012
A fun, colorful atmosphere? Check!
A load of interesting characters with cool powers? Check!
A sweet cinematic trailer that looks like Pixar meets The Avengers? Check!
A cute spunky British woman with dual pistols and teleport powers teamed up with a CYBORG GORILLA WITH A LIGHTNING GUN AND A JETPACK?!!! Oh hell yes!

OK Blizzard, you can shut up and take my money now!