Blizzard Unveils Diablo III "Paragon System"

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
I wonder if they think most people stopped playing at 60 because there was no more levelling to do or because the final settings was badly designed, it should not be down to what RNG you get on the rare monsters ability deciding if you can kill them or not. I like a challenge but come on that's just not fun. Its typical of current blizzard thinking, dont make things hard by interesting mechanics and new challenges (Ulduar) lets just make them have more HP and hit harder (ICC).

Suicidal Zebra

Feb 11, 2011
When players had killed Baal in Hell, did many of them stick around purely to go from 82-99? Would those that did have stuck around if Skill Points weren't a thing? Until they get the item hunt game right (rather than hunting through the AH interface), D3 will continue to have difficulty retaining players.

To be honest, Paragon Levels don't strike me as meaningful Progression per se, but may have value once PvP is enabled. That is, if Blizzard can implement Arena PvP which isn't blown out by gear and P-Level disparity.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
If this was tied into an expansion I'd be happy, sadly this is just offering a minor incentive for grinding.

twobeef

Feb 4, 2012
Compatriot Block said:
Boudica said:
Grind to level 60! Now... grind some more! No, not for new story or anything, but for bigger numbers next to your name!
Have you ever played a Diablo game? That's exactly what Diablo fans want from them.
I seriously don't understand the people who hold up the endless high-level grinding of Diablo 2 as some sort of paragon of the genre but think the max-level grinding of Diablo 3 has reuined the genre forever...

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
twobeef said:
I seriously don't understand the people who hold up the endless high-level grinding of Diablo 2 as some sort of paragon of the genre but think the max-level grinding of Diablo 3 has reuined the genre forever...
TBH the Dungeon Crawler/ARPG is something of a ruined/dying genre (and even if they're not, their glory days are definitely over) since the 'grindy lootfest' baton has been passed to the MMO for the most part.

They're kind of like point-and-click adventure games, in that they're mostly extinct but still see the odd release because they have too much nostalgia to actually die.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
I really don't understand the appeal of this series. How can there be people who see obnoxious level grinding as a good thing?

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Hurray! More Numbers! And when everyone has a crazy chance to find better magical items, prices at the Auction House will plummet for both currencies! So instead of finding my own gear, I'll just BUY better gear with easily obtained gold!

I'm not going to say this can only hurt the game, but I will say that it certainly isn't going to make it any better. The lack of a level increase isn't what's driving away Month One players. It's boredom. Sheer boredom. For my part, at least... *sigh*

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I haven't played D3, but i had an idea that might work. If i understand correctly, death is permanent for a hardcore character. What if there was a dungeon exclusively for HC characters and the dungeon had no end. There would be an unlimited number of levels and each level would get progressively harder.

Here's where the psychology comes into play. The Dungeon has a leader board. As you move farther down, you amass more points, and the higher you can get on the leader board. But because only HC characters can play this dungeon, going to far might result in the loss of your character. When you think you can't go any farther, you can leave the dungeon at any time.

Players would have to balance their desire to get higher on the leader board vs the chance that they lose their character. I think that provides a real dilemma.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
This is great, but without new maps and enemies it seems pointless.

If they release an expansion pack I'll most definitely get back into it.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
This isn't going to help if you still can't get drops you can actually use. Maybe they'll include that too.

Towowo

Sep 22, 2008
Two-A said:
I really don't understand the appeal of this series. How can there be people who see obnoxious level grinding as a good thing?
It isn't grinding if you enjoy it, There is a zen like quality to grinding in games like this.
Grind isn't inherently a bad thing you know, just as long as the gameplay itself is enjoyable to play for hours on end.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Players who don't reach endgame shouldn't be complaining about endgame content. If it doesn't seem fun to you, fine. That's cool.

But let's actually endevour to be honest. Let's try this honesty thing.

If instead of the harder modes... they called them 'New Game+', 'NG++', etc, and had character advancement and ratcheting difficulty of encounters, with ever increasing progression of loot, you'd be all upons that like you are with any RPG with NG+ modes.

Oh wait, Diablo has that. It has NG+, NG++, and NG+++. What's the difference between this and, say, Chrono Trigger? Oh yes, ratcheting difficulties.

Some people simply don't want to stop using overpowered abilities against overpowered monsters. Some people don't want to constrain themselves to the singular playthrough and some actually enjoy trying to put together a build that allows them to attack the highest difficulties the most efficiently.

This thread comes across as a bunch of 'Stop Having Fun Guys' who don't seem to realize a lot of people really enjoy that, and those people are the ones that give the game longevity, and by longevity I mean 'Is still a cash cow a decade down the road.'

Like Diablo 2.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Good, looks like they actually do read the community feedback, they pretty much implemented it to the letter as players like Kripparian had suggested it. Doesn't interest me all that much, the days when I could spend 2 months of my life leveling one character 8 hours a day are long gone, but I'm sure that's pretty exciting for many people who were looking for a reason to return to the game.

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Sounds cool. Now, are they gonna make it so I don't get lag running through Act 1 normal when I'm not in chat or running any other online programs?

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Boudica said:
Grind to level 60! Now... grind some more! No, not for new story or anything, but for bigger numbers next to your name!
You're complaining because a Diablo game has grinding and "numbers"? You remind me of that other guy who was complaining that Professor Layton has too many puzzles, every second NPC he speaks to has a new puzzle for him. Like, what the hell...

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Towowo said:
Two-A said:
It isn't grinding if you enjoy it, There is a zen like quality to grinding in games like this.
Grind isn't inherently a bad thing you know, just as long as the gameplay itself is enjoyable to play for hours on end.
Yeah, I kind of see where you are going. I remember grinding up to level 99 in KH2 to fight the lingering will.

I can't really see myself grinding for the sake of grinding, though . But to each his own. :/