Blizzard Unveils Diablo III "Paragon System"

Monkey_Warfare

Sep 10, 2008
If they want to retain players they need things like the pandemonium event. Why grind for better items when there is nothing to use those items on? Persoanlly I was bored by the end of nightmare, the game dumbed it down so your character felt generic due to the fixed skill points and skill progression.

Timnoldzim

May 19, 2012
I'll admit I haven't played the game, so maybe I'm misunderstanding, but... are they really saying that they're elongating the game by adding a bunch of GRINDING?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
The trouble with Diablo III, so it would seem, is that once players hit level 60, there's just not much left for them to do. All that remains at that point is to hack and slash in search of loot, but as Blizzard admits, "Your play session may not only end without an upgrade, it can wind up being a net loss."
...and this is where I stopped reading. Call me shallow, but when I see Blizzard compare your gaming experience to a fucking sales term, that's all the proof I need to know that they still don't care about their product or their consumer base - just the amount of money they can rake in.

Glad I didn't buy this POS game. Pokemon Black and White 2 and Borderlands 2 are still well worth the wait!

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
I think it's best to sum it up like this-

"You dawg I heard you like to grind so we added more grinds for you to grind!"

Ok yes this time the grind is more beneficial but come on! Seriously? And this is why Blizzard has been performing so poorly lately like losing members from WOW and Diablo 3.
You and all the other people saying "Aww, more grind" obviously weren't fans of Diablo before: the series is 150% grind, nothing else. The story was always secondary, the loot was #1, and the only way to get it was to grind Diablo/Baal/Pandemonium/etc.

That's why I never even bothered with the 3rd installment.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
So they want to fix the reasons everyone left (i.e. terrible, costly grind) with more grind?
I...what?

http://www.untuckedshirts.com/b3s/funny/speechless.gif

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
I am glad I skip this title... for many reasons... this just add to the list... Shame it started out to be so innovative... but it got trapped in the "grind fest" design... I just hope Borderlands2 don't turn out that way too...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Isn't this just them saying "Yeah, we know once you hit 60 the game becomes nothing but a gear-grind. So we're just going to make the gear-grind progressively easier."

Doesn't that leave the fact that it's STILL nothing but a gear-grind? :p

Edit: After looking at some of the other comments, I see that the point was obvious to everyone. :3

A3sir

Mar 25, 2010
Paragon levels: Unlock the paragon leveling system for $25 from the battle.net store!

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
So the gear grind I was doing already will now have extra progression added to it that will make my gear grind easier and more enjoyable?

Win.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Adding absolutely nothing but numbers and levels. No innovation, just numbers. Yeah I'm glad I uninstalled this. I really tried liking D3, and I did from the beginning, then patch after patch it got demolished, and now this is their method of keeping people around. I don't mind grinding, but I like it when there's a point to it. I grinded to 60 to get all the skills, awesome armor, reach inferno, etc. What's this gonna give me? More numbers? Not biting one bit. I heavily regret buying this.

Ardure

Nov 23, 2009
I'm just glad there's no monthly on D3... I had a blast really through nightmare difficulty and then got a bit board finding there wasn't even anything fun or amusing on the harder difficulties story wise. Yes, the story was very predictable but it was what kept the game interesting for me... which is funny because in my WoW days I was reasonably loot obsessed and progression obsessed. Maybe I still am but I have no real reason to play when progression is grinding and playing the same story over again.

But since there's no monthly I'll be happy to get back on and play again as soon as there is more content or an end game or something other than playing the same 4 acts over again.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I´m wondering, why would you need better stats and bigger levels if you are already playing on the hardest difficulty?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hammeroj said:
Mygaffer said:
Just google his name:
https://www.google.com/search?q=jay+wilson
*sigh*

Not like I knew any of those guys as people, but that is just so god damn sad. Reminds me of the Q&A they did a while ago, the answers to problems tended to range from "that's intentional" to "we don't know what you're talking about", except this is way more crass and idiotic. Honestly, it's not like I'm expecting much of Blizzard to string a coherent argument together, or to admit their mistakes before everybody and their granny yells those mistakes out at them. Am I expecting much?

DracoSuave said:
Players who don't reach endgame shouldn't be complaining about endgame content. If it doesn't seem fun to you, fine. That's cool.

But let's actually endevour to be honest. Let's try this honesty thing.

If instead of the harder modes... they called them 'New Game+', 'NG++', etc, and had character advancement and ratcheting difficulty of encounters, with ever increasing progression of loot, you'd be all upons that like you are with any RPG with NG+ modes.

Oh wait, Diablo has that. It has NG+, NG++, and NG+++. What's the difference between this and, say, Chrono Trigger? Oh yes, ratcheting difficulties.

Some people simply don't want to stop using overpowered abilities against overpowered monsters. Some people don't want to constrain themselves to the singular playthrough and some actually enjoy trying to put together a build that allows them to attack the highest difficulties the most efficiently.

This thread comes across as a bunch of 'Stop Having Fun Guys' who don't seem to realize a lot of people really enjoy that, and those people are the ones that give the game longevity, and by longevity I mean 'Is still a cash cow a decade down the road.'

Like Diablo 2.
Who exactly is this post directed at, and what are you trying to say?

I don't know what exactly Chrono Trigger is, but simply relabeling the difficulties to NG+ would do nothing to alleviate the problems of the game. I'm especially dubious as to your comparison to Chrono Trigger because I'm 90% sure it isn't an ARPG of the sort that D2 created an entire genre of, which, if true, would make the comparison a false equivalence right off the bat with no need to put further thought into it.
Chrono Trigger is a JRPG from the SNES era that, to my knowledge, is the first major title to have a New Game Plus mode. The difference, as you've stated, is that CT isn't a loot fest ARPG. CT is, at it's core, a JRPG that has 12ish endings, some of which require you to have finished the game at least once to access. Thus, yeah, there really is no real comparison between NG+ in CT and what is basically NG+ in D3. NG+ in CT lets you play through the same game in different ways, actually coming to sometimes radically different endings. NG+ in D3 means you play the whole game over again with exactly the same experience just hoping you get good enough loot drops to keep you moving forward.