Blizzard Will Unveil a Completely New Game at PAX East

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Blizzard Will Unveil a Completely New Game at PAX East

For those of you thinking, "It's just that 'Titan' thing," Blizzard has stated that this new game is not its rumored next-gen MMO.

"We've been working on a little something, different from our other games, and we're pleased to invite you to be the first to see it. It's not a sequel, expansion, or that rumored next-gen MMO, but it's something we're excited for you to get your hands on," Blizzard said in an invitation to come and see something new and exciting at this year's PAX East in Boston, which will take place between March 22 and 24.

Blizzard had previously teased a surprise for PAX East, but until now it had been assumed to simply be a playable version of Diablo III for consoles. This latest confirmation of a brand-new game opens up the floor to all kinds of wild speculation. Blizzard hasn't gone so far as to say that it's a new IP, so it may just be a new game set in one of its current universes.

This is a strange move for Blizzard, which usually does all of its big reveals at its own BlizzCon. This year's BlizzCon is scheduled to be held on November 8 - 9, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122217-Blizzard-Announces-BlizzCon-2013] a full six months after PAX East. Perhaps Blizzard plans to announce the game at PAX East, and have a polished, playable version ready by BlizzCon?

A full retail version of shelved [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104641-BlizzCon-2010-Hands-On-Blizzard-DotA-Left-2-Die-Starjeweled] in favor of World of Warcraft, is another plausible option, especially considering Blizzard's recent push to support consoles.

But, neither of these games are completely "new," having been announced in some way or form at some time. Considering Blizzard's new focus on consoles, and the fact that the game will be something completely new that no-one is expecting, I'm pretty sure we are looking at a HD PS4 reboot of Rock N' Roll Racing.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Forget Rock'n'Roll Racing, they should make a HD Lost Vikings game!

Starcraft: Ghost would make the most sense though, since it was meant to be for PS2 and Blizz seems to be focusing on consoles a bit more now.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I think Blizzard is gonna be doing more games for Consoles, if Diablo III for PS4 is any indication of that. My guess? They're gonna announce a game for the WiiU, and then there gonna announce a port for the 720 when the 720 is announced.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
As a Blizzard fangirl that buys almost every single of their products, consider me thrilled. I hope that they are going to start a completely new franchise and willing to experementise a bit. With WoW as their cash-cow, they got the cash and man-power to do all kinds of risky and exciting projects.

Mr.Mattress said:
I think Blizzard is gonna be doing more games for Consoles, if Diablo III for PS4 is any indication of that. My guess? They're gonna announce a game for the WiiU, and then there gonna announce a port for the 720 when the 720 is announced.
Blizzard always said that they are mainly PC developers. Consoles are an after-thought, not their main focus. I don't doubt that they might port a couple games to consoles, but develop for them..? They are a pretty conservative bunch and always stressed how the publishers ignore or don't see the massive potential the PCs have - which Blizzard was eager to use.

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
Why have i gotten all my PAX East information from the Escapist? Theyve barely updated the site and its in 23 days.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Ah darn, was hoping it would be Titan. I hope they reveal it at Blizzcon or I'm going to be one unhappy camper.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm pretty sure those doesn't qualify as "different from our other games" or "not a sequel or expansion.
Well it's a 3'rd person stealth shooter and it is neither a sequel nor an expansion (well at least not in the typical Blizzard way), so maybe?

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
If they make a new Rock & Roll Racing or Lost Vikings game, I'll take back everything bad I've said about Blizzard.

Almost everything bad.

Actually, I won't take anything back, but I'll stop saying bad things.

For awhile.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's Blizzard. So it's probably gonna be something over-hyped with always-on shit, and millions of people are gonna get it anyway. Because it's Blizzard.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Well, it looks like I'm not the only one wishing for it to be StarCraft: Ghost. Glad to see there are others that remember that existed at one point.

DVS BSTrD said:
I just don't want to see you let yourself get hurt again Boris, you know that would count as a sequel. And don't go trying to justify it as a "prequel", because we both know that's not what they mean. Just be glad Nova showed up in Wings of Liberty.
<spoiler= Be happy with what you already have>http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/Bitmob/3%20Bitmob%20Random/Samir/ass08.jpg
I don't think you understand what the word "sequel" means. This would qualify as a spin-off because it's an entirely separate genre. But I do agree that it's probably unlikely to actually turn out to be Ghost.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
So is it new as in new IP? or just a new game in one of their existing franchises?

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Given that it's Blizzard, I'm guessing a steampunk rts. No changes in gameplay what-so-ever. They're just reskinning an existing game.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
For those Starcraft: Ghost fan I have good news.
The new game is likely to be set in Starcraft universe
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blackstone/
Enter code: Y7_$0>0k_3<$m
This website have never been even be hinted by Blizzard themself yet, so very unlikely it is SC2: HotS pre-launch launch website, like I originally thought.
Few years ago, the leak project schedule from China investor call point out a project called Starcraft Phoenix should be hitting after around HotS. So people have been theorize this is it. So the code name Phoenix might hint at a revive of a project, with that said code names are generally nonsensical.

By the way, high level blizzard employee have always emphasize that Starcraft: Ghost is not cancelled just postpone in interview.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Well considering if we think back to the leaked release documents from Blizzard's Chinese branch, there was a game slated to be released relatively soon codenamed "Starcraft: Phoenix" (if I remember correctly), it's highly likely that it's going to be a non-rts Starcraft game.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm pretty sure those doesn't qualify as "different from our other games" or "not a sequel or expansion."
The precise words were "not a sequel, expansion, or that rumored next-gen MMO", which leaves spin-offs (which Ghost would probably be) and remakes (Lost Vikings) on the table, and a FPS/Platformer would certainly be different to their other games[footnote]and if you wanted to get REALLY technical, you could argue that Lost Vikings is a Silicon & Synapse game, not a Blizzard one.[/footnote]

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
Exort said:
For those Starcraft: Ghost fan I have good news.
The new game is likely to be set in Starcraft universe
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blackstone/
Enter code: Y7_$0>0k_3<$m
This website have never been even be hinted by Blizzard themself yet, so very unlikely it is SC2: HotS pre-launch launch website, like I originally thought.
Few years ago, the leak project schedule from China investor call point out a project called Starcraft Phoenix should be hitting after around HotS. So people have been theorize this is it. So the code name Phoenix might hint at a revive of a project, with that said code names are generally nonsensical.

By the way, high level blizzard employee have always emphasize that Starcraft: Ghost is not cancelled just postpone in interview.
Project Blackstone is a pre-launch event for Heart of the Swarm, nothing more. Evidence; https://twitter.com/CameronDayton/status/299323874661769216.

OT,it's probably going to be an update on Blizzard All-Stars, in my opinion.