Blizzard's Next-Gen MMO An "Enormous Investment"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Blizzard's Next-Gen MMO An "Enormous Investment"

Activision has put a lot of money into a completely original MMOG coming out of Blizzard "when it's done."

Blizzard is working on its next MMOG: This much is known simply by visiting the company's jobs page [http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/directory.html#region=Americas] and scrolling down to "next-gen MMO." Activision CEO Bobby Kotick recently said a few words on the project, calling it an "enormous investment."

On Activision's last second-quarter earnings conference call, Kotick said: "Remember, we have two enormous investments: One in Bungie and the other in another project at Blizzard that we haven't given a lot of visibility to. Those are going to be entirely new intellectual properties."

Does this mean the action-RPG [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281304768&sr=8-1].

Kotick emphasized that Activision understands what these "enormous investments" need to become products that people want to play. He continued to say: "But with the recognition that the way to build them is take long amounts of time, lots of capable talent, an enormous amount of capital and you have to have a real roadmap for innovation and creativity. And I think that those are going to be two very good examples from the ground up original ideas." Whether you trust Kotick or not, I think the money is in safe hands at Blizzard.

I, for one, can't wait to see something new from Blizzard, especially a MMOG, considering how the company tends to lead the way with innovation in genres. I wonder if Blizzard's new MMOG will become Activision's most expensive project in history just like for EA [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281304849&sr=1-3].

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=258898]

Apr 28, 2008
Hopefully Bungie can survive Activision and not go the IW route. They managed to survive Microsoft and didn't go the way Rare went, so there's hope.

As for Blizzard, whatever they make will make back the money.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
monnes said:
Does blizzard lead innovation in genres? Like what?
World of Warcraft? That game put MMOs on the map. The accessibility of the game astounds me still compared to just about every other MMO out there. You may wish to argue what exactly his definition of innovation is, but there is no denying what they've done for the video game industry as a whole.

RTS's are where they still reign supreme too.

Ertol

Jul 8, 2010
I'd like to see that. And besides at this point Blizzard is getting so much money from WoW they could handle a massive failure of some MMOG they are trying out.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
This may in response to The Old Republic's encroaching threat to WOW's player-base, real or imagined as the case may be. I actually think this is a bad idea on Activision's part. They shouldn't split the player-base of WOW by making a new "massive" MMORPG.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Honestly, I'm kinda tired of mmorpgs, and am looking for something more along the lines of demons souls.

monnes

Sep 23, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
monnes said:
Does blizzard lead innovation in genres? Like what?
World of Warcraft? That game put MMOs on the map. The accessibility of the game astounds me still compared to just about every other MMO out there. You may wish to argue what exactly his definition of innovation is, but there is no denying what they've done for the video game industry as a whole.

RTS's are where they still reign supreme too.
I agree that they've made fantastic games, but i'd never consider them innovative. I wouldn't consider being successful innovative.

RedPandaMan

I bought this to skip ads.
Oct 23, 2008
Well, hopefully it doesn't fail then. I would hate to see Blizzard out of business.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm just waiting to see how Activision make sure nobody at Blizzard sees a penny from the game's sales. They must be mad as hell that they haven't been able to pull Warcraft or Starcraft out from under Blizzard's feet yet. I'd put money on them trying it with this one, or using it as a way to get their hands on the other two.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I feel another MMO war coming up, just like the classic WoW vs Guild Wars. 'Cept while everyone else shouts about SWTOR and the BlizzMMO I'll be playing Guild Wars 2. Hehehe.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Edit: ^ You don't like Blizz AmIRight? ;o

It's so exciting when you consider how every game of Blizzard is really good and a huge success.
So even though I have little to no interest in MMORPGs I still want to see what they're going to pull off with their new IP ;)