Blizzard's Next-Gen MMO An "Enormous Investment"

Bureaucromancer

Jan 28, 2010
monnes said:
Does blizzard lead innovation in genres? Like what?
I have to agree. They do a very good job polishing and popularizing titles and genres, but I haven't seen much from them that could legitimately be called innovative.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Captain Placeholder said:
Undead Dragon King said:
This may in response to The Old Republic's encroaching threat to WOW's player-base, real or imagined as the case may be. I actually think this is a bad idea on Activision's part. They shouldn't split the player-base of WOW by making a new "massive" MMORPG.
Actually they have been working on this game for quite a few years. It has nothing to do with any other MMO that has come out or is coming out.
Yeah they started in like 2008 or maybe earlier. The way I see it WoW will probably run until they only have X number of players and then they'll just pull the plug. There will probably be some kind of player incentive to ditch WoW in favour of their new thing. You have a character of level Y so you get these bonuses when you switch over and delete your WoW account.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
monnes said:
They used to, but then they figured out they could make just as much money banking off nostalgia and since then have done nothing but release WoW and a prettier version of StarCraft.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
By definition, if one takes a market that was considerably smaller and makes it much, much larger, you've clearly innovated on the old design. Look at the MMOs that came before WoW, and those that have come after, and tell me there's been no innovation. Yes, they're still MMOs, and WoW shares characteristics with the earliest MUDs. However, innovation does not mean 'totally different than'. You can innovate by changing just a few things, but I submit Blizzard changed more than a few, and continues to do so.

I really hope it's some sort of sci-fi setting, Starcraft or not. I find it hard to believe they'd go too crazy developing another fantasy MMO, unless their goal is to just transition everyone currently playing WoW to the next gen MMO. If they intend to rope in the console audience with it, that could definitely be where they're headed.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Pugiron said:
Wow Blizzard doing an mMO not based 90% on EverQuest? I hope it fails bad enough to do some serious damage to AssBizz. Hope peopel stick to their boycott, but the game will suck hard enough to punish those that do not. Its either going to have the exact same engine as WoW and just have a different look, or be so different that all the WoW fans will hate it.
There's a boycott?

Anyway, if the game sucks, no one will play it. But since we have no way of knowing at this point how the game will be, maybe it'd be better just to nod and move on. You can't deny that Blizzard makes quality titles though, even if you don't personally enjoy playing them.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Personally, I'm excited to see what they can come up with. They've always done a great job with their current IPs, so I'm betting this new one will be even better. And actually, since they're designing the concept from the ground up as an MMO, the story might actually truly work with a perpetual world! How 'bout that! Can't wait.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
manythings said:
Yeah they started in like 2008 or maybe earlier. The way I see it WoW will probably run until they only have X number of players and then they'll just pull the plug. There will probably be some kind of player incentive to ditch WoW in favour of their new thing. You have a character of level Y so you get these bonuses when you switch over and delete your WoW account.
I highly doubt it. Near the end blizzard will milk it for all that it is worth. I mean hell Everquest is still going strong and I highly doubt WoW will go anywhere anytime within the next decade.
Maybe, and I stress maybe, five years but I seriously can't see it staying profitable that long. The way I understand WoW has been losing customers heavily over the past 12 months and, while a lot will come back for whatever expansion the release next, they are expected to lose that crowd plus like 20%. Apparently a lot of the new crowd who should be replacing the old crowd leave earlier and play less. Kind of like if teens stopped smoking.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
rsvp42 said:
Personally, I'm excited to see what they can come up with. They've always done a great job with their current IPs, so I'm betting this new one will be even better. And actually, since they're designing the concept from the ground up as an MMO, the story might actually truly work with a perpetual world! How 'bout that! Can't wait.
I'll stick with expecting a great product from BioWare and treat Blizzard with caution.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
I like how Kotick says that for Blizzard and Bungie, you need plenty of time, talent and capital for making a new and innovating product we'll want to play.

But for Call of Duty, they just need to keep cranking the fuckers down the assembly line.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
My friend was talking to someone with a little Inside Information on this thing.
I was very interested when he told be about it. Since it was about a month ago. So it hadn't been announced then,as far as I know.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
monnes said:
Diablo started an entire genre and style of gameplay that countless games borrow from, for one.

SnugglesPanda

Apr 4, 2010
manythings said:
manythings said:
I highly doubt it. Near the end blizzard will milk it for all that it is worth. I mean hell Everquest is still going strong and I highly doubt WoW will go anywhere anytime within the next decade.
Maybe, and I stress maybe, five years but I seriously can't see it staying profitable that long. The way I understand WoW has been losing customers heavily over the past 12 months and, while a lot will come back for whatever expansion the release next, they are expected to lose that crowd plus like 20%. Apparently a lot of the new crowd who should be replacing the old crowd leave earlier and play less. Kind of like if teens stopped smoking.
Being the in the beta, I can say that when you experience the game.. its completely different. So they are taking a huge risk right now to make it last a lot longer by making it feel different/play better in general. Even the game in beta has made me want to play for another -insert length of time-. Its damn great.
Also I'm from the EQ crowd that switched over to WoW when it came out. So I've been plying since classic.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
So what, they're going to compete with themselves?

I can see them starting to develop something new if WoW figures started dropping, but there seems to be no point. Surely they're just splitting their fan base, and giving themselves twice (if not more, since they've got to launch a new MMO - which always need extra work done when released) the workload?

Personally I'm much more interested in TOR because, well, it's fucking Star Wars and BioWare.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
It's official, folks. The makers of WoW are going to try to kill WoW. I am reminded of the phrase " I brought you in to this world and I can take you out ". Could WoW have peaked and is now beginning its downward spiral? A new MMO from Blizzard could be sign of the WoWocalypse.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
So how long do you think it will take to develop this new MMO? I'm guessing somewhere around 7 years.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
monnes said:
Diablo started an entire genre and style of gameplay that countless games borrow from, for one.
I think he meant lately, like since WC3, I like their games, but ever since WC3 they have been good yet have no innovation.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
Actually I imagine that if both are subscription based, they'll likely have some sort of deal where you can have both games for one subscription fee, albeit higher than either individual fee. I'd imagine something like 20 for both games rather than 14 for each.

It's just good business sense.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The biggest question is can Blizzard beat its own product and create the "Wow-killer" or can even Blizzard not defeat Blizzard?

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Goddamn Escapist not showing me when I make a post! Thought I lost this draft.

Well I made it better down there, go read it NAO!