Blizzard's Rob Pardo Talks Five Years of Warcraft

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
I can't wait till Guild Wars 2 invades.
GW2 won't have a subscription therefore it won't really invade, my WoW fanboy friend is actually considering gw2 even with WoW: Cataclysm coming out, he doesn't have to pay for a gw2 subscription on top of his WoW one so he'll play gw2 on the side.

SAccharing10 said:
Guild Wars 2 is taking everything that made Guild Wars good, removing it, and trying to be a WoW clone.
Erm, not exactly, there won't be any kill 10 rats quests, infact there won't be any quests, just random events, gw needs gw2, its more mainstream but it still keeps its individuality. There hasn't been much released about gw2 other than lore, there will be gameplay news next year before the open beta starts.

As far as I know, I'm guessing that the new blizz mmo will be a starcraft one. That is, I can't see it being in the news until Diablo 3 and Cataclysm are out.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I'm REALLY surprised, floored even, what he said about their biggest mistake. A bigger surprise is that he is right on the money. So, I guess Blizzard knows what they are doing. =p

Though, there were all kinds of abuses in WoW that we saw no effort from Blizzard to fix until WAR came out and took care of them easily. Examples would be cave camping and twinking. (While WAR saw a lot of WoW's problems, unfortunately it seemed blind to its own, so I guess all developers have their blind spot.) The party system was one of those things WAR improved. If Blizzard just copies WAR's party system they'll be much better off. Blizzard is good at copying Warhammer, after all.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Warrior Irme said:
As a former Wow player I must say that I am glad to hear that they realized implementing a game mechanic like arena late into the life of the game and then began balancing the entire game to arena was a bad move. One that hopefully they are willing to fix with their unannounced MMO. Pre-arena wow was a fantastic game. Sure there were bugs and some balance issues, but they worked to fix balance issues for general play instead of just arena.
I have to agree, I don't normally PvP and having my characters "balanced" so heavily for PvP and thus hindering my job in PvE really grates on me. One thing that Blizz did learn to do right was make quests interesting. The quests for WotLK are much more fun than either BC or Classic.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
benbenthegamerman said:
Capo Taco said:
It won't be WoW 2, it will be "world of lost vikings".
win.

Im starting to think that the next gen mmo in the works is gonna be Universe or Starcraft, because Diablo is alredy kindof a single player WoW. Plus, its rare to see a space themed MMO, and it would be good to see a company who has made one of the greatest space-RTS games of all time turn it into an MMO, like Warcraft.
Obrien Xp said:
Sevre90210 said:
GW2 won't have a subscription therefore it won't really invade, my WoW fanboy friend is actually considering gw2 even with WoW: Cataclysm coming out, he doesn't have to pay for a gw2 subscription on top of his WoW one so he'll play gw2 on the side.

SAccharing10 said:
Guild Wars 2 is taking everything that made Guild Wars good, removing it, and trying to be a WoW clone.
Erm, not exactly, there won't be any kill 10 rats quests, infact there won't be any quests, just random events, gw needs gw2, its more mainstream but it still keeps its individuality. There hasn't been much released about gw2 other than lore, there will be gameplay news next year before the open beta starts.

As far as I know, I'm guessing that the new blizz mmo will be a starcraft one. That is, I can't see it being in the news until Diablo 3 and Cataclysm are out.
We already know it'll be a new IP, not one of their existing ones. So no Galaxy of StarCraft or World of Lost Vikings, unfortunately :(

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
johnx61 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
benbenthegamerman said:
Capo Taco said:
win.

Im starting to think that the next gen mmo in the works is gonna be Universe or Starcraft, because Diablo is alredy kindof a single player WoW. Plus, its rare to see a space themed MMO, and it would be good to see a company who has made one of the greatest space-RTS games of all time turn it into an MMO, like Warcraft.
Obrien Xp said:
Sevre90210 said:

SAccharing10 said:

We already know it'll be a new IP, not one of their existing ones. So no Galaxy of StarCraft or World of Lost Vikings, unfortunately :(
I'm guessing none of you have ever visited Uldaman.
SPEAK NOT THE NAME OF THAT PLACE

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I always wonder how long WoW is going to last? 10 years? 15 years? Even 30 years?

Sad Robot

Nov 1, 2009
benbenthegamerman said:
Capo Taco said:
win.

I think there's a space themed MMO being developed by some unknown RPG developer, set in a universe nobody's ever even heard of.

http://www.swtor.com/

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Rob Pardo said:
Right now, WoW has a bit of a schizophrenic philosophy behind it, and we're trying to figure out how to guide it.
Wow. I can't believe he actually admitted that. Not that I disagree, but it's just surprising he came out and actually said it.

Was a really interesting read, seeing a developer admit their mistakes and their regrets of the past is always interesting, since it both meshes and goes against the grievances and praises that the consumers seem to have.

Or if you read the official WoW forums, just grievances. Endless grievances. Oh the whining...

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Capo Taco said:
You made me hope, and when my hopes were instantly crushed, I cried. I hope you are pleased with yourself.

OT - I'm going to be honest, I think PvP should be left to games which are primarily PvP - World of Warcraft, Champions Online, City of Heroes... All rubbish PvP experiences. Warhammer Online and Guild Wars are great because that's what they focus on. If Blizzard (and Cryptic) really want to help the game feel less schizophrenic, they'd leave PvP to the pros and focus on the story and PvE content which they are brilliant at.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
johnx61 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
johnx61 said:
I'm guessing none of you have ever visited Uldaman.
SPEAK NOT THE NAME OF THAT PLACE
Uldaman. Uldaman. Uldaman.

Give in Funk. You know you like fighting ancient robots, huge golems and bitchy titan women.
I find Uldaman is less an exercise in fighting mobs and bosses and more an exercise in fighting your own group. Same with Blackrock Depths.

gabdewulf

Sep 12, 2008
I not saying WOW wasn't great in its time. But, can we quit with the copying WOW's interface in every new RPG?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
gabdewulf said:
I not saying WOW wasn't great in its time. But, can we quit with the copying WOW's interface in every new RPG?
Pretty sure WoW's interface isn't original. EQ2 was released a scant half a month before WoW hit shelves and it had a very similar interface to it. [http://mmohut.com/wp-content/gallery/everquest-2/everquest-2-dock-waters.jpg] Going further back, Asheron's Call 2(2002) [http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol11/issue4/steinkuehler.image009.jpg] has a not dissimilar interface itself. Oh they're different, sure, but looking at them it's impossible not to see the similarities.

Point is, WoW's interface is just as copied from other games as other games copy from WoW and to say otherwise is terribly foolish.

Nhilus

Jan 18, 2009
Sion_Barzahd said:
i've played WoW on and off pretty much since launch day, and i have to agree with Pardo. Lots and lots of mistakes, especially the LFG system, which currently is next to pointless.

Glad they will be finally releasing a decent system in the next content patch.
I've been playing for 4 years and I was relativly happy when I first heard about the LFG tool, then when I first used it and found to my dismay that all it did was stop you having to read the chat channels, the new one should be a vast improve ment, now I just have to hope my server is on a battle group with tanks and healers on it because Emeriss sure as hell doesn't have any horde side, incidentily I'm hoping cataclysim doesn't destroy the game as much as I predict it will. Achivements however is something I personaly view as a mistake, sure people like to be rewarded when they do something right but I haven't been able to play the game properly since BC due to not having achivements, my old raiding guild died and to go anywhere I need the achivements which I don't have and can't get ¬.¬ is that just my realm or is that everywhere?

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Amnestic said:
Point is, WoW's interface is just as copied from other games as other games copy from WoW and to say otherwise is terribly foolish.
That's why pretty much everybody has a different interface.

For example this [http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6258/wowscrnshot110809135626.jpg] is mine.

gabdewulf

Sep 12, 2008
Amnestic: And Dali wasn't the first who made surrealism but who we associate with surrealism. Still tired of that interface in every new RPG that comes out.

Twilightruler

Jul 3, 2009
You would've thought that they would mention their biggest mistake. Making the game too god-forsaken easy. That's the main thing that caused me to quit. I hit 80 and 2 months later I was done. Because even my unorganized under-geared guild could clear all the current content with little problem. If you tried 40 man naxx and even a couple people didn't know what was going on, you were flat out boned. Back when having a spell interrupt rotation on Kel'thuzzad was necessary to even stay alive. They tailored the game to appeal to 10 year old's so they could get more money...I would actually consider re-joining if they just dumped all the expansions and went back to vanilla. And I know quite a few hundred people that feel the same way.