BlizzCon 2010: Diablo III Won't Be an E-Sport

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BlizzCon 2010: Diablo III Won't Be an E-Sport

Blizzard may love its e-sports, but it doesn't want them in Diablo III.

As demonstrated here at BlizzCon 2010, Blizzard's games have a very dedicated competitive multiplayer fanbase, whether it's World of Warcraft's arenas or the tournaments for StarCraft and StarCraft II alike. With the recent announcements of PvP arenas in Diablo III, wouldn't you expect Blizzard - one of the biggest advocates of videogames as a sport - to plan the same in its upcoming hack-and-slash?

No, not so much.

When asked if Blizzard planned on supporting competitive multiplayer for D3's PvP arenas in the Q&A panel for the game, the game's big boss Jay wilson gave a fairly emphatic "no." The reason, he said, was because the Diablo games - including the dueling in Diablo II - were always in part about finding out the most overpowered builds. If Blizzard wanted to make it an e-sport a la StarCraft II, the designers would have to suddenly prioritize balance above all else, rather than making fun (and potentially abusable) abilities. "If Diablo III was an e-sport, PvP balance [would dictate] everything ... we don't want that."

That doesn't mean that players can't hold their own impromptu e-sport activities with Diablo III's arenas, said Wilson - after all, it was their game to play. Blizzard just didn't want to be involved with it: "You can do whatever you want, but we're specifically not incentivizing it."

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Which is the exact right way to go. Nuff said kinda, I mean the arguments can be found in the article anyways :>

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Thank the lord for that. They'll just ruin the fun if they try to balance PVE and PVP simultanously. He also said that the arenas were built specifically separate as a result of the balance, that some abilities would be tweaked in the arena.

I always saw Diablo as a great cooperative game. "You guys should get along" :D

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I have a slightly off topic question here. Mr.Funk were you the only escapist staff member to go to Blizz con this year?

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
YES!

Umm..does that mean that we can mod the graphics a little more gothic now? :p

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
This wont stop the hundreds of PVPers complaining about "Overpowered Builds" though.

The Circle of Meh continues.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
I love e-sport, but this is definitely the right call. Nice to see we can depend on Blizzard for sound decisions to not muck up the burgeoning world of e-sports.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
Thank the lord for that. They'll just ruin the fun if they try to balance PVE and PVP simultanously. He also said that the arenas were built specifically separate as a result of the balance, that some abilities would be tweaked in the arena.

Skill is different in PvE and PvP. They will do about the same thing but things like damage might change a bit.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Exort said:
Brotherofwill said:

Skill is different in PvE and PvP. They will do about the same thing but things like damage might change a bit.
ArenaNet achieved all of this by providing separate PvP and PvE skill numbers, where the PvE skills were deemed "too powerful."

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
raankh said:
I love e-sport, but this is definitely the right call. Nice to see we can depend on Blizzard for sound decisions to not muck up the burgeoning world of e-sports.
Likewise. I am a fan of e-Sports (or at least I used to be), but I can also see that Diablo isn't really fit to be an e-Sports title. The "demi-God" mentality and gameplay, combined with the horrific atmosphere, is far too core to the game to make it suitable for competitive play.

A wise decision on Blizzard's part. I am sure even the most hardcore fans will be pleased to hear this from Wilson, especially after the Arena announcement ruffled a few feathers.

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
Thank you D3 team, this kind of mentality should go over to some of the racing sports as well ( I am looking at you NASCAR as one example).

ssManae

Aug 13, 2009
dradiscontact said:
Good to know. I'm not particularly fond of E-Sports.
Honestly, I wasn't either until my old guildmates and I met up at--and decided to stick around and watch--the StarCraft matches at BlizzCon in 08. Since, I've been glad to catch any SC tournament casts I can see. Even then, it's hit or miss; I don't really enjoy WoW arena events, and never really looked for any FPS ones.

As for the news part, I wholeheartedly agree. No part of Diablo was ever meant for balanced PvP. Oh, the days I spent in the caves on public PvPable games collecting ears. Launching high-level fireballs and dropping firewalls in tight paths... all as a warrior with a Kings [Great] Axe of Blood and some of the best plate you could wear.