BlizzCon 2010: Diablo III Won't Be an E-Sport

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Pretty much everything has already been said in this thread that needs to. I have no interest in Diablo being involved in e-sports, it just doesn't fit.

For me Diablo is about teaming up to fight hordes of monsters, and maybe once in a while some asshole backstabs people (which keeps it interesting even if its a pain in the ass) and some duels for bragging rights.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
While I like e-sports and competitiveness, I support this just because Diablo is mainly a cooperative game.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Coop over being mean? Huh. With Blizzard, it comes as a surprise to me. And noted, buy D3 along with a decent video card.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Notthatbright said:
This wont stop the hundreds of PVPers complaining about "Overpowered Builds" though.

The Circle of Meh continues.
It wont, but there's no prizes to be won so it doesnt matter and it wont need to be balanced.

Diablo 2 had it's pvp system and most people just used it for a unwind.

As for e-sports in general, if it's the right game being played I enjoy watching it. WoW Arena and SC2 are pretty fun to watch with friends. Much more so than say, poker. If only we could get late night SC2 games.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
That doesn't mean that players can't hold their own impromptu e-sport activities with Diablo III's arenas, said Wilson - after all, it was their game to play. Blizzard just didn't want to be involved with it: "You can do whatever you want, but we're specifically not incentivizing it."

So does that mean they won't ban people for using 3rd party mods on Diablo III like they've done for Starcraft II? I'll believe it when I see it.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Who cares what Blizzard says?

E-Sports is usually a community motivated thing. Blizzard didn't start considering WoW as an e-sport until Arenas were actually really popular and had competition.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Exort said:
Brotherofwill said:
Thank the lord for that. They'll just ruin the fun if they try to balance PVE and PVP simultanously. He also said that the arenas were built specifically separate as a result of the balance, that some abilities would be tweaked in the arena.

I always saw Diablo as a great cooperative game. "You guys should get along" :D
Skill is different in PvE and PvP. They will do about the same thing but things like damage might change a bit.
As in it's a different player skill set?