Blockbuster Can't Brag About New Releases Anymore

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
It always shits me when I hear about "exclusives" because as a consumer they limit my choices, if I want to rent a DVD I want to be able to rent what I want, if I want to stream it I want that too, if I want to buy a deluxe uber dooper super edition I want to be able to do that as well, when I damn well want, not when some contract expires.

It's crap like that makes torrent sites look very appealing to this anti-pirate little bunny.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I bet you $5 they will plant bombs in all the blockbusters forcing people to go and rent overpriced movies and games in a crazy last ditch effort to generate more income.

Then they will denote the bombs for da lolz

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Billy, you remeber that time we hit the deer with our car and it darted away into the woods before we could see how it was doing? Remeber how you asked me if it was going to be okay, and how I'd tell you when you're older?

Well, Billy, this is what happened. It was no longer able to survive among it's other and died a slow painful death. It was so pathetic that even the carrion birds didn't cirle it because they felt that bad.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Erana said:
No no noooooooo.

What do people have against getting mail-in movies and games and being able to go to the store and get more whenever they want?

Redbox has an atrocious lack of selections; it saddens me to find out how popular this is.

I can understand Netflix better, but I really do like the personal experience of a store. What do people dislike about it so much?
I guess its like how some people regard me as weird for actually using the library these days...
You can't stream movies on Blockbuster, and unless it has changed you pay per rental at Blockbuster and at Netflix it's as many as can you fit in a month.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Erana said:
No no noooooooo.

What do people have against getting mail-in movies and games and being able to go to the store and get more whenever they want?

Redbox has an atrocious lack of selections; it saddens me to find out how popular this is.

I can understand Netflix better, but I really do like the personal experience of a store. What do people dislike about it so much?
I guess its like how some people regard me as weird for actually using the library these days...
Mainly that they're inconvenienced when they have to return or originally pick up the movie. and we all know the public. there's just some people you'd be better of if you had never met.

But I agree with it. Soon Theatres will disappear, then everything will be digital. And when the Anon get the bright ideal to bring it all crashing down, guess who's screwed. All of us. But thats just me, I like things like Gamestop instead of Gamefly because of the personal experience

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
Erana said:
No no noooooooo.

I think a lot of people would actually agree that a physical store that also had a mail and streaming service would be ideal. The problem is that Blockbuster completely fucked themselves over with absolutely horrid customer service and the fact that they updated their services too late.

I, as well as many others, hate Blockbuster. Not because it's a physical store but because of how many times they have fucked me over by charging me for movies I returned and just generally shoddy customer service.

That is why they are going out of business, not because people have anything against brick and mortar stores in general.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
In May I lost my job with a movie gallery because the store closed down. There was a mad scramble for us to make money, sell concessions, get people on Powerplay (no I will not explain that evil atrocity), convince people against netflix (I think I heard one girl telling customers that netflix gave her a virus on her computer, yeah, that's how desperate we were)and any time we didn't seem to measure up to their ridiculous demands they threatened us with our jobs.

In short, not fun times and I feel sorry for all the people working at Blockbusters around the country cause I'm sure they're dealing with similar stupid crap and politics. I figure by this coming May Blockbuster will be closing down stores if not shutting down completely.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I kind of hate bloackbuster now, they hardly ever have good prices anymore, not in comparison with other retailers of their kind. And the fact that they hike up the prices of game rentals to the point where I could buy them for just a few quid more, and claim two year old games as justifiable for the same rental price as things that were out last week (This is the same for all games, popular or otherwise). Of course, I feel sympathetic for those who will be jobless if blockbuster goes under, and if it were a choice between bailing them out and another damn bank, I'd go for blockbuster anyday, but you can hardly say blockbuster was being that competetive.

And also, I hate the thought of getting everything online. I like to browse, you can't really do that on play.com or the like, you have to have a specific idea of what you're looking for, the offers pages are all you get for browsing.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I really dislike Blockbuster. I hated how they had their employees always hassling you trying to get you to buy and sign up for stuff. People want to go there to rent movies, not deal with what amounts to a telemarketer face to face.

Oh, and they charged WAY too much.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
We had a blockbuster in my town for 10 plus years.
back when it was either, buy your game at kbtoys, or rent it at block buster, the store was great.

but more recently they NEVER had any new game releases, had the same games since 2008 with exception of a few maddens, and the people working there knew nothing about it.
plus the prices.. 9 dollars to rent a newer title for 2 days... two freakin days.

needless to say said blockbuster is now out of business.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Good bye Blockbuster. We knew thee well. You will become nothing more but a fond childhood memory! MUAHAHAHAHAHA! ...sorry. Go netflix!

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Blockbuster deserves to go. They're too damn greedy. You want to charge me a late fee for being 15 minutes late? I can't control traffic jams, but I understand the principal. Bend the rules for one person, you gotta bend them for another.

But you want to tack on the whole 5 bucks for 15 minutes? Go jump in a lake.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, the prices could be pretty nuts, £3.75 to hire a £5.99 dvd for 2 nights.

Also, and I don't want to derail this into a piracy thread, I think part of what the big corps don't understand, is that a fair bit of piracy comes down to 'I've got the cash to go rent a movie, shall I get in the car, drive into town, find parking, go in, find out they don't have what I want, pick something else, queue up, say no to the thirteen other things they try to get me to sign up for or sell me, then come home...only to do it all again in 2 days to return it...

Or click 'download torrent' and just watch it.

The more stuff they can get onto easy to use sites that can offer instant downloads, the less reason the lazy will have to use torrents, it's not always that they want free stuff, sometimes it's just a case they want it easy and now. Also, they don't want to have to deal with getting sold a bunch of crap they don't want.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
Hastings and Netflix, baby. I've been to Blockbuster twice in my 17 years, and regretted it immensely both times.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Pyode said:
Erana said:
No no noooooooo.

I think a lot of people would actually agree that a physical store that also had a mail and streaming service would be ideal. The problem is that Blockbuster completely fucked themselves over with absolutely horrid customer service and the fact that they updated their services too late.

I, as well as many others, hate Blockbuster. Not because it's a physical store but because of how many times they have fucked me over by charging me for movies I returned and just generally shoddy customer service.

That is why they are going out of business, not because people have anything against brick and mortar stores in general.
Really? I've had a very few incidents of wrongful charging, but it was always fixed. And I've been a regular visitor of several blockbuster stores, and at every place, they were the most consistently friendly people behind a counter I've seen anywhere.
Its a shame that others haven't had as good an experience as me.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Soon Theatres will disappear, then everything will be digital.
I seriously doubt Movie Theaters are going anywhere. Until you can recreate that experience in your home anyway. (For most people impossible at the moment.)

As to 'Lack'luster. I have not been in one since the year 2000. No wonder they are having trouble.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Sartan0 said:
emeraldrafael said:
Soon Theatres will disappear, then everything will be digital.
I seriously doubt Movie Theaters are going anywhere. Until you can recreate that experience in your home anyway. (For most people impossible at the moment.)

As to 'Lack'luster. I have not been in one since the year 2000. No wonder they are having trouble.
Alright, think about it this way.

You hae Netflix. Suppose they decide to up the rate to the price of a movie ticket. But, you get to stay at home, eating your own food, pausing the movie whenever you like, and you odnt have to worry about your actions since you're in public. That also means that the public isnt going to bother you while you watch your movie.

If you have a big fancy entertainment system, its not that much of a stretch. Pretty much the only think a theatre is nowadays is a middle man. If things like Netflix got movies the day they came out, instead of going to a theatre, it would happen. Besides, most theatres are in the Red (I know the commerical chain i work at, wont say the name, is 400k in debt and its only growing) so its close. Drive ins were though to not go anywhere, and there's only something like under 1000 left I think, operating.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Oh I can see what you are saying.

I still think there will be a market for the 'movie house' experience. Particularly for popular movies where it is all kinds of fun to see it with a friendly crowd or where you can get dinner and drink with a large group of friends. (These movie places are out there now)

Will there be as many theaters in the future? Perhaps not but I can't see them totally disappearing like Blockbuster is going to.