Blockbuster Can't Brag About New Releases Anymore

suicide samurai

Jul 17, 2009
I'm 31, and severly miss the mom and pop video store experience. Block-Buster (and the Hollywood video-Chains) were okay (Hollywood being the better of the two), but a little too aniseptic for me at times.

While I never had problems with Hollywood, Blockbuster often screwed up my late fees, didn't have a lot of the obscure stuff I was into, and were known to have "edited" copies of some films.

As it is, I've been a netflix subscriber for about a year and a half, and still enjoyed Hollywood video before it went under--Blockbuster was off my radar years ago.

Jarrid said:
Erana said:
No no noooooooo.

What do people have against getting mail-in movies and games and being able to go to the store and get more whenever they want?

Redbox has an atrocious lack of selections; it saddens me to find out how popular this is.

Furthermore, Redbox never has anything older than a few months. If Blockbuster goes down, we all miss out on classics and forgotten gems. I seriously doubt Netflix would carry obscure titles from years back or anything that wasn't a "hit."
Redbox...I'm not so fond of, but Netflix has TONS of older and VERY obscure movies. Iv'e also noticed that once I've put something on a que that's not in stock, it eventually shows up.

What I'm waiting for are two things--V.O.D. to merge into Netflix's streaming and renting site, and Netflix to open up physical chains in some large city areas.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I haven't entered a Blockbuster in years, but I'll still be sad to see my local one disappear. Pretty nostalgic place for me, actually. I used to go there all the time when I was a kid, back when it was still relevant.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Sartan0 said:
emeraldrafael said:
Soon Theatres will disappear, then everything will be digital.
I seriously doubt Movie Theaters are going anywhere. Until you can recreate that experience in your home anyway. (For most people impossible at the moment.)
Depends on your definition of 'experience'. That can mean anything from "I love the big screen and super-crisp visuals with surround sound" to "God dammit, the guy behind me won't stop talking and I seriously need to use the bathroom." Not to mention the rising ticket prices and over-priced concession stand food. And some people don't really have a preference as to whether a movie should be watched on a big screen or a smaller one anyways.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if movie theaters became obsolete sometime in the next few decades.

EDIT: Gah, I meant to edit this into my last post. Ah well, some people don't seem to mind posting twice in a row anyways.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
April 6th 2011: Blockbuster files bankruptcy or closes its doors for good.

My random stab in the dark.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Erana said:
No no noooooooo.

What do people have against getting mail-in movies and games and being able to go to the store and get more whenever they want?

Redbox has an atrocious lack of selections; it saddens me to find out how popular this is.

I can understand Netflix better, but I really do like the personal experience of a store. What do people dislike about it so much?
I guess its like how some people regard me as weird for actually using the library these days...
Agreed here as well. Netflix makes sense, but Redbox... REDBOX?!? Every time I walk up to one, it's all DVD (so no taking advantage of HD movies, damn...) and it's a right mess between a few good movies and a bunch of c-grade tripe that should never have been produced in the first place.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Can't Wait for those huge liquidation sales...actually i can wait because i have no money or a place of employment....Hold on block buster you must last as long as you possibly can (so i can rip you off in the end when i get a job)!!!

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
I give it a few months into the new year and Blockbuster will be gone for good. Can't remember the last time I even went into one.
I can: when the one here in town went out of business. Went up there and bought a fuckload of BluRays and the director's cut of Blade Runner on DVD.

I remember one time, when I was younger, I went to the Blockbuster a couple towns over and went to rent Final Fantasy VII, as it had just come out, and they accidentally rang it up as a purchase.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Erana said:
No no noooooooo.

I can understand Netflix better, but I really do like the personal experience of a store. What do people dislike about it so much?
I guess its like how some people regard me as weird for actually using the library these days...
I prefer the physical experiance as well(that didn't sound right) but you can't beat the convinance of getting stuff online, plus online you don't have to deal with incompetent cashiers or lack of stock, RL no stock, come back next week and maybe we'll have it
OL no stock, spend five minuites with google and there you go.

I would use libraries but the one round here sucks, I ask for Discworld and Douglas Adams, they say I don't know what they are but try over there *points to fantasy section* you have a computer ***** use it!

toastmaster2k8

Jul 21, 2008
I dont think I have ever been in a blockbuster before. definitly wont notice when they leave.

19.99 for april

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
They are the top dog of a dead and dying system. Do I feel bad for them? Well considering some of the policies they've had over the years, not a chance in hell. Good riddance. Besides the local mom&pop video stores usually have a far better classics selection than any blockbuster.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
I'll miss Blockbuster... The employees at the store I've gone to are real movie and game aficionados. If they see a gem in your pile, they'll make comment and even suggest a few others that might be in the stacks (that lonely place, away from the outer 'New Releases' wall, where most customers fear to tread).

Best of all, with their inclusion of games with the Blockbuster Online exchange program, we can get movies and games in the mail, and exchange for movies in the store. I get to play games I've missed or didn't have the scratch to purchase at release, m wife and I get to watch tv shows we want to catch up on, and see the odd new release from the store. All for a single fee (and no bloody late fees)... and they can be HD BluRays if we choose, unlike Redbox kiosks.

Netflix streaming is nice (have it here due to her mom's account), but their steadfast refusal to do games by mail means I personally won't be pushing to switch services if Blockbuster folds in the next year. Gamefly is too expensive, unless it's your only source for console games, year round. (Kind of like when you're paying an MMO subscription... it's only affordable at $15/month when its your ONLY form of gaming.)

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm willing to give them a little more time than most. I'd say late March.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Damn. I usually only rent old movies form them though. I hope this doesn't put em out of business.