Blood Donations, your views and a plea

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
jdnoth said:
Just thinking about giving blood makes me feel sick.
No.
Edit: Also, fuck you for making me think about giving blood
Next time dont click buddy!

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
Everybody knows they just take the blood and give it to the secret underground vampire network to try and curb the amount of people they take each month for food. Sheesh.

On a serious note, I really wouldn't have a problem with it, and I'm most likely going to go along with my mum the next time she goes to give blood.

Beacon

Dec 21, 2008
I went to give blood once. But I had gotten a tattoo like a week before and that apparently is a no-no for a whole year.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
You know, I should probably start donating blood - not out of charity, mind you, no, because frankly I couldn't care less about who's getting my blood, but rather for the money. Depending on how much I get for a donation, that could be a new computer game each month!

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
I have a solid alcoholic concentration in my blood 24-7 so I can't give blood any more.

I once lost 6 units of blood (total not all at once!) and managed to take 8 back in, so I've made sure to give back twice what I figure I owed (that would be 16 units people).

For those at a school or place of employment, you can usually convince them to send you along on a schedule (which means you get out of school/work for a while) - so long as they get some sort of "My $Place donates blood".

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
I pass a donation centre on my way to uni, but every person I know who has given blood has had some kind of minor problem with it. Can't find/missing a vein, having to actually hold a syringe with their blood in it etc..

I want to do it, but I don't need all that going on. I would like to be conscious for my labs

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I would donate blood, except that I have an irrational fear of needles. Well done to those who do give blood though, keep up the good work :).

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Beacon said:
I went to give blood once. But I had gotten a tattoo like a week before and that apparently is a no-no for a whole year.
Is it not a voluntary thing? :S

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
As soon as I am old enough I will start donating blood, they actually have a day at my school where the students above 16 can give blood in the morning and then go home.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
another trypanophobe here. i actually don't mind vaccination shots (which are typically in the shoulder - painful, but extremely quick; just have to hype myself with science first), but you better keep those gorram needles away from my veins!

giving blood is a good thing to do (but needles! we hates them!), but i think it's pushed too hard (at least here on American college campuses - may be different elsewhere). i really don't need people begging me to let them stick me on my way to class >_>

but you "normal" folks can keep on giving blood if you want; no real moral objections here, just needle squick.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Im turned away if i try to give blood due to health and safety reasons. I have a record of fainting when i see (alot) of blood, and the thought of having some removed from me does cause me to go light headed.

Its a shame as iv always wanted to do it.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
I can't really be bothered, to tell you the truth. I've never given it any thought.

How does the process work? I might give it a go at some point.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Cahlee said:
Abedeus said:
I would give blood, but:

a) I have high blood pressure for unknown cause (I'm going to a hospital every few months, hopefully I'll get rid of that problem).

b) I'm still underaged (17, in Poland you must be 18 for blood).

Seriously, this are the only things that are stopping me. I have so many nose bleeds anyway, I might as well give some of my blood before it happens again.

Besides, my blood is apparently excellent for me to be a donor. I have blood thinkness 16 (that's really big, so I can give a lot of blood without serious side effects) and I am 0+, universal blood type.
O+ is the most common blood type, with about 40%. O- is universal, it's the blood they give to people when they dont have time to find out their blood type, the body is less likely to reject it.

Edit: I dont know why I know that..
VAMPIRE!

I'd donate if I didn't get sickly dizzy after losing smaller amounts of blood.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Cahlee said:
I want to say that one of the highlights of my month is going to give blood or plasma.
Being 15, I'm not legally aloud to give blood, and if I am I can't anyway because I'm constantly ill, but I know roughly how they do it. But how do you give plasma...

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
Ultrajoe said:
I can't really be bothered, to tell you the truth. I've never given it any thought.

Simple enough, they give you a from to fill out, the interview you and prick your finger to check your heamoglobin levels (that is the worst bit imo). Then you sit in a comfy chair, they put the needle in, only hurts for a sec, and you sit there for about 10 minutes. After which you get a free milkshake and jelly beans and things!

Although, I'm not sure how you're average civilian would go getting UltraBlood...

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
needausername said:
Cahlee said:
Being 15, I'm not legally aloud to give blood, and if I am I can't anyway because I'm constantly ill, but I know roughly how they do it. But how do you give plasma...
This is a longer process, you're given a similar needle (only one though dont worry) and it's hooked up to a fairly large machine, they remove the blood as usual, but then it's filtered through the machine and the red blood cells and the like are put back into your body while they keep the plasma. It takes roughly 45 minutes and because you get to keep most of the irony goodness you can donate plasma every month instead of having to wait 3 months for regular blood. I donate blood then plasma then plasma then blood, if that makes sense.

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
Ultrajoe said:

You're a .au aren't you?

You show up, you fill in a form (questionnaire really), they take a quick needle-stab to the tip of our finger (it's like being flicked - it hurts more in your head than when it happens) to test your blood counts or some such, then you go sit on a chair for 10 or 15 while the blood is drained from you. Afterwards they give you a freeby milk (at least back in the Riverina they did so) and a biscuit to try and set you up properly before you leave.

And that's it. They might ask for ID. After a few goes you get free stuff like a keychain or what not.

It's simple, and so long as you don't swear (nurses tend to be very proper women when on the job!) you don't usually get hurt.