Blood Donations, your views and a plea

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
I've noticed a trend, a lot people who aren't against giving blood (Needle-phobia, religious views, etc) who just don't think about it or are a tad lazy. I want to say that one of the highlights of my month is going to give blood or plasma. Not because I have a needle fetish or anything, but because I see each donation I give as a life or two saved or improved. There are people out there who are sick or dying who need it way more then I do and it's the one way where I feel like I making a difference to someone's life.

Giving blood is something I'm very passionate about and I think that this is something that everyone should try to do, because chances are, you'll need blood some day.

Here's my plea, if you dont have a problem with giving blood, give it a go. Take half an hour out of 3 months and make a difference.

Now, opinions! You've read mine and I want to know yours. If you don't give blood, why? If you do, why?

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
Needles... Stay away from me with that pointy thing or I will break your wrist... That's usually how things go when you put me and needle together.

RetiarySword

Apr 27, 2008
I've got nothing against it. I think its a kind and generours thing to do. Besides I always like a free orange ^^

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
RetiarySword said:
I've got nothing against it. I think its a kind and generours thing to do. Besides I always like a free orange ^^
The milkshakes are the best!

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
I can't stand doctors surgeries, and have a crippling fear of medical procedures.

Seriously, right now just the thought of a needle is making me cringe in my chair and making me feel a tad nausious. I would if I could though.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
If I can and when I can I plan to give as much as possible. It's a worthy cause and people who are just too lazy to sit still for a couple of minutes to save another persons life (possibly) deserves a serious kicking.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I have received substantial amounts of blood, probably more than the average 18 years old has. So I would be glad to give it back, I'd have no problems with that. Ironically, because I have received blood I am not allowed to give :-/

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I would give blood, but:

a) I have high blood pressure for unknown cause (I'm going to a hospital every few months, hopefully I'll get rid of that problem).

b) I'm still underaged (17, in Poland you must be 18 for blood).

Seriously, this are the only things that are stopping me. I have so many nose bleeds anyway, I might as well give some of my blood before it happens again.

Besides, my blood is apparently excellent for me to be a donor. I have blood thinkness 16 (that's really big, so I can give a lot of blood without serious side effects) and I am 0+, universal blood type.

cuddly_tomato said:
I can't stand doctors surgeries, and have a crippling fear of medical procedures.

Seriously, right now just the thought of a needle is making me cringe in my chair and making me feel a tad nausious. I would if I could though.
Sissy. I'm getting an alergy shot every Tuesday or Wednesdey, one every week.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Needles are horrible, that said its never stopped me getting an injection and i intend to go give some blood either as soon as i get a car or when one rolls by where i live.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
I never really thought about it before now, but I don't see why I can't do it.
I'm busy till friday so i'll find out where and go in then ^^

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
Abedeus said:
I would give blood, but:

a) I have high blood pressure for unknown cause (I'm going to a hospital every few months, hopefully I'll get rid of that problem).

b) I'm still underaged (17, in Poland you must be 18 for blood).

Seriously, this are the only things that are stopping me. I have so many nose bleeds anyway, I might as well give some of my blood before it happens again.

Besides, my blood is apparently excellent for me to be a donor. I have blood thinkness 16 (that's really big, so I can give a lot of blood without serious side effects) and I am 0+, universal blood type.
O+ is the most common blood type, with about 40%. O- is universal, it's the blood they give to people when they dont have time to find out their blood type, the body is less likely to reject it.

Edit: I dont know why I know that..

arcainia

May 16, 2008
I'd actually love to donate blood. I've got plenty of it and I'm not going to miss the amount they take from me. I also take blood tests every 6 months since I was 11, so I have no problem with needles. Sadly though, I take medications that wont let me donate blood. There were plenty of times where a blood donation event was going on at my school and I just couldn't do anything.
It's a bit sad how it seems like all the people who can't donate blood actually want to do it, and those who have no problem doing it are just too lazy.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I tried to donate blood once. But extracting liters of blood leaves me very lightheaded, ill, generally blargh and I almost passed out.

So, no thank you :)

Guvnorium

Nov 20, 2008
When I tried to donate blood, they only got about half a pint in the required half hour. So it was useless. Curse my wimpy veins. (BTW, I'm A+)

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
I'm not old enough to give blood yet but I do really look forward to doing it when I am.

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
Guvnorium said:
When I tried to donate blood, they only got about half a pint in the required half hour. So it was useless. Curse my wimpy veins. (BTW, I'm A+)
Hey A+, I'm O-. Pleasure to meet you!

CrabRangoon

Sep 7, 2008
I give Blood every once in awhile.

I'm O-, they say I am very hard to get blood from, and usually they miss my veins like 3 times before they get me, but they tell me to come back because I am O-.

jdnoth

Sep 3, 2008
Just thinking about giving blood makes me feel sick.
No.
Edit: Also, fuck you for making me think about giving blood

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Not old enough yet (soon to be, though), but I'm not sure if my blood's that attractive because of my allergy. I'll have to check if they want my blood at all first.
If it doesn't matter I'd be happy to donate some.