Blood Dragon Reveal Trailer is a VHS Love Letter to 80's Cartoons

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Blood Dragon Reveal Trailer is a VHS Love Letter to 80's Cartoons

In the near future, a rogue cyborg army is shaping the world into cyber hell, and only one thing can stop them: Sergeant Rex Colt, Mark IV Cyber Commando.

So the footage is still available through liveleak. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123105-Far-Cry-3-Blood-Dragon-Is-Neon-Soaked-80s-Action] Whether as a result of the leak or not, Ubisoft has now officially announced the game via an official reveal trailer.

The trailer starts off with a collection of hilariously 80's adverts, before breaking into a Saturday-morning-cartoon style introduction of the new game. "It is the near future. The apocalypse has had an apocalypse. A rogue cyborg army is shaping the world into cyber hell, and only one thing can stop them," announces the dangerously cheesy voiceover. "Mark IV style ************!" yell the Mark IV Cyber Commandos, born from the toxic ashes of Vietnam war II. The entire thing is shot as if it was recorded from a dodgy VHS tape.

"Sergeant Rex Colt is leading the battle against good and evil," continues the voiceover, showing some gameplay footage that highlights laser beams, cyborg ninjas, white tigers and of course, the ability to flip off your opponents with your robot hand. In a word: awesome. If you pay attention, you'll catch a glimpse of the titular "Blood Dragon" towards the end of the trailer. Michael Biehn, who many will remember as Corporal Dwyane Hicks from Aliens, will provide the voice for Rex "Power" Colt.

The expansion pack is set to be released on May 1st. A Steam listing reveals it will cost $14.99 and will be completely stand-alone from Far Cry 3 (as in, it won't require Far Cry 3 to run). If you pre-order, you will receive a free digital soundtrack. The game reportedly lasts around 8 hours.

Google [https://plus.google.com/101451700102598459465?rel=author]

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
I'm sorry but this is surely still a joke right? Even with release dates and prices this still could be an over ambitious April Fools, and God I hope it isn't.

There is no way someone is cranking out something THIS awesome, no matter how good Farcry 3 was.

Just look at the fake adverts! Yea the 80's ads were naff but this takes the cake.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Spudgun Man said:
There is no way someone is cranking out something THIS awesome, no matter how good Farcry 3 was.
Ubisoft are the kings of bad business decisions, if any of the major publishers is dumb/crazy enough to come up with this then it's Ubisoft.

Hopefully it pays off for them, I liked the little Doom reference too.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
As a child of the 80s this hits so many nostalgia buttons for me.

Honestly I've heard good things about Farcry 3 but I've always been meh on FPSs, but I may end up getting it just for this.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
$15 for an 8 hour game? That's actually quite cheap considering how long some SP games are and they cost $60. And this is still Far Cry 3. It's free roam. Just on a smaller map. There's a lot of replay value there.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
You might need to run through another edit on that article there.

Anyway, you don't need Far Cry 3 to actually play it? That's amazing news for people that don't have the game. I'll wait for some reviews on its release before throwing all my money at it, but it's looking so cool!

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Quoting someone from youtube: "How the fuck did this get past execs and more importantly, how the fuck can we make it happen again?"

And

"What Duke Nukem Forever Should Have Been."

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
So I had ZERO interest in Farcry 3, but this looks TOTALLY RADICAL!

Seriously I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that this would have made a decent game in its own right.

Assuming its not entirely filled with dick jokes and giant hair.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Stand alone? Ubisoft, buddy.. you might just netted yourself another sale right there.

I hope this sells well. Remember the past few years, where people were bitching about paying 60 bucks for a 8 hour game? Well, now the want to sell us an 8 hour game for 15 bucks. Sounds reasonable to me. I'd like to see that happen more often.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
$15 for an 8 hour game? That's actually quite cheap considering how long some SP games are and they cost $60. And this is still Far Cry 3. It's free roam. Just on a smaller map. There's a lot of replay value there.
The story is just about 3 hours long and I dont see the collectibles and hideouts to take the extra 5 hours to complete but it is a Far Cry 3 sandbox game so there will be a lot of lost time just doing sandbox shit. I can see people spending that time with it.

The story is also good, the first two missions are okay-ish but the rest is gold.

And its cool that developers are starting to use their AAA game tech to make smaller cheaper games from time to time, most of the work here was already done from Far Cry 3 so the budget must have been really low with this one. It probably wont take them many sales to make profit. And obviously this type of game just wouldnt be possible to see if it was a full fledged 60$ game.

Genocidicles said:
Oh man!

Just a shame it's not an entire game. It looks way to cool to just be a little DLC.
Dude, it is a stand alone game, you dont need Far Cry 3 for it.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
*checks wallet*

I actually have enough money and I probably will buy this, especially if it comes out to be a standalone expansion. (I don't own Far Cry 3 yet.)

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Maybe we'll get Megaforce the Game next.

"Oh, I just wanted to say good-bye and remind you that the good guys always win , even in the eighties. " Ace Hunter - ...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
josemlopes said:
The story is just about 3 hours long and I dont see the collectibles and hideouts to take the extra 5 hours to complete but it is a Far Cry 3 sandbox game so there will be a lot of lost time just doing sandbox shit. I can see people spending that time with it.

The story is also good, the first two missions are okay-ish but the rest is gold.
Maybe the game is compatible with Far Cry 3 Map Editor. If so, it's without a doubt worth $15.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
If this is as good as it looks this will be the first DLC that leaves me wanting more DLC for the DLC. DLCeption if you will.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
"The apocalypse had an apocalypse"

Fucking SOLD!

I about wet myself at that point. I am so buying this.