Blood on the Sand Sales Disappoint

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Blood on the Sand Sales Disappoint

50 Cent's increasingly dwindling reputation as a money making machine isn't just the case when it comes to the music he sells: a look at the sales for his latest game, Blood on the Sand, show a major drop off from his previous videogame hits.

Apparently 50 Cent was lying the other day when he said that his videogame, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, was doing well enough that a sequel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91451-50-Cent-Wants-Blood-on-the-Sand-Sequel] could be possible. Judging by the sales of the game, it appears that the rapper's worth as a marketable brand is not only declining in the music industry, but in the games racket as well.

After glancing through some NPD sales numbers for Blood on the Sand and 50's last game, Bulletproof, Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5245761/50-cents-new-game-selling-112th-of-his-first-one]'s Stephen Totilo (see, I'm not the only one who takes this guy and his game seriously) discovered that Blood on the Sand, which came out this February, has only sold a 12th of what Bulletproof did in its first couple months of release. Apparently Blood on the Sand had only pushed a meager 56,000 copies between late February and April. Compare that to Bulletproof, which did 681,000 within its first couple months and eventually went on to become a million seller.

That's all despite the fact that Blood on the Sand has averaged much better reviews and some degree of support from gamers who are shameless enough to enjoy a game about 50 Cent killing terrorists (yours truly included).

How to account for this massive drop-off in the viability of Curtis Jackson as a videogame brand? Kotaku suggests it could have something to do with the fact that Bulletproof had more of a gangsta rap setting being set in some mean urban streets, while Blood on the Sand takes place in some fictional not-Iraq. That could be it, or, more likely, it has to do with the fact that fewer people care about 50 Cent now than they did five years ago. I mean, name me a 50 Cent song from his last album off the top of your head.

No, "In Da Club" wasn't on it.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
It's a game about a thoroughly dislikable rapper. Why would we expect it to do well?

But I haven't played it, I'm sure it's fun to shoot people as Fiddy Cent.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Good, I like seeing games like that fail. Maybe, just maybe publishers will start to back good games again.

t.tocs

May 23, 2008
The main reason why this game flopped...his likeness. Reviewers said this game is a guilty pleasure of theirs and that the gameplay is actually pretty good. If this were just called "Blood on the Sand" and had no reference to 50 Cent, I may have been inclined to check it out. But not when his logo is slapped all over the place. As tongue in cheek as it is, I don't feel like being "Fiddy"

t.tocs

May 23, 2008
Wasder said:
Wait, it was expected to do well?
Maybe not well, but at least better than the last. It sold significantly less than it's previous game.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Clemenstation said:
The only question this news really raises is: how did the FIRST 50 Cent game do so well?
Because Mr. Cent is a famous person and idiots will buy things because he is on them.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Now we just have to hope the Souldja Boi game that's in the works goes just as poorly, and we're in business.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
"i get money" i believe was on his last album. Which is fairly quite ironic considering how little he's game has sold. I personally am quite pleased, his ego could do with a knock

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Clemenstation said:
The only question this news really raises is: how did the FIRST 50 Cent game do so well?
Because Mr. Cent is a famous person and idiots will buy things because he is on them.
Ha ha ha... "Mr. Cent".

Yeah, but that doesn't explain the comparatively weak sales for a (better) game featuring the same famous person. Has he lost social capital with retarded over-cashed youngsters since then? I imagine that's probably it.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Very surprising, does this mean some people gained those super powers called common sence and Individulity?

mark0217

Mar 17, 2009
Pi_Fighter said:
All franchises must ultimately come to an end.
...it's a me, Mario! :p
Also the game wasn't THAT bad. It was a little bland and maybe the brand isn't attractive anymore, but with a couple more features and, say, original characters, it could've done a lot better.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Clemenstation said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Clemenstation said:
Ha ha ha... "Mr. Cent".

Yeah, but that doesn't explain the comparatively weak sales for a (better) game featuring the same famous person. Has he lost social capital with retarded over-cashed youngsters since then? I imagine that's probably it.
If his rapper name is 50 Cent, would his real name be Arthur Dollar?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
People say "50 cent" is the reason this game didn't do well but frankly I expected this to fail even without him. You guys seriously think people would have been interested in a generic game like this if they threw in a different (maybe even fictional) person? The whole selling point was that it was a celebrity doing crazy shit in...sand world or wherever.

Now, sales must be disappointing but I wonder how big the "Rental" numbers are.