Bloodborne Dev: 30 FPS is "The Best" For Action Games - Update

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Synthetica said:
The only thing worse than 30fps is less than 30 fps...
Eternal_Lament said:
Also important to note, all the Souls games have been 30fps so far, and although they can be upped to 60fps on PC, Dark Souls 2 has also shown that From's games are kind of built around "frames" in bizarre ways, such as weapon durability and invincibility frames, meaning running it faster is actually making the game harder for you. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the team going for what they're used to.
So they buggered up, attatched gameplay-related things to the frame clock and you point at this as an example that 30 fps is a good thing? Interesting.
So me saying From Software is more used to programming their games at 30fps as opposed to 60fps is me saying 30fps is a good thing? Interesting.

The point I was making wasn't "See! This is why 30fps is always better!" And rather me just pointing out that From has traditionally programmed the Souls games with 30fps in mind, and that it's unlikely that would change any time soon. Neither condemnation nor support, just me stating the facts about the Souls team's previous development history

Apr 5, 2008
LOL. 30 FPS is not best for anything. 60FPS is objectively better than 30. If a game is capped at 30 it's because of the incompetence of its dev team who were unable to design a game properly.

pilar

Jul 7, 2014
Quellist said:
*Sigh* yet another game industry apologist trying to claim the Ocean isn't wet. Its getting to the point where i'm starting to regret we have Xbone/ps4 at all for the way they are dragging down PC games...
Way too lazy to blame consoles, especially with the way developers have tackled high-end GPU this past year.

pilar

Jul 7, 2014
Aiddon said:
I would hope it isn't best; 60 fps should have been the benchmark with this new gen due to the new hardware, but if anything we seem to have regressed. But then again, there's the reality of the situation: reaching and maintaining that benchmark is HARD. And most devs seem to be doing anything they can to get out of doing it lest they put some actual WORK in.
Then they'd have to try HARD on the XONE, the Playstation and the PC; but there's no budget to optimize for all those platforms. Even a freaking [url =http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-shadow-of-mordor-face-off]760 stutters @ 30 FPS on Shadow of Mordor Very High, and the 750TI barely matches the Playstation[/url] even though it's much more powerful a GPU than what's inside the console.

For a $400 machine to make solid 1080p30 experience on a map as big as Bloodborne and this early in the console's cycle is quite ridiculous.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I recognise his update, but i'd like to say that ALL video games are better at 60+fps without question, this is my opinion as someone who has played video games for 17 years, even chess is better at 60+fps, Dark Souls 1 and 2 are better at 60+fps.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Quake 2 showed its age back in the late '90s when it was capped at 60FPS. Subsequent titles had this limitation removed and Quake 3 ran quite happily at 100+FPS.

As did every other 3D-rendered game on the market, FPS or not.

The fact that some 15 years later this is once again a big deal is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

I have to throw down with Jim on this one - if you didn't want people complaining about your games not running at 1080p in 60FPS, you shouldn't have fucking promised it .

Honestly, if next-gen consoles can't even do what they promised to do, I'll keep my current-gen stuff, thank you very much.

Actually, I'll probably just stick with my PC, where I can avoid this utter bullshit.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Until now, the game looks so old gen, they're still using the voodoo ragdoll Physics. I can't see why the frame rate is so low. The new consoles must be really weak machines. Don't know, just thinking.