Bloodborne Dev: 30 FPS is "The Best" For Action Games - Update

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Kaymish said:
why would you cap the frame rates anyway why not give people the choice if your rig cant handle 1080P at 60fps then swap out the settings for something it can handle its better to let people have control over the settings so if they want to play at a standard frame rate they can and if they want to play at a low frame rate they can do that too or if they want to emphasize graphical effects over frame rate let them do that or vice versa
Console exclusive is why...though technically it could be done (TLOU allowed you to have either 30 or 60) I think due to the online element it'd not be done unless they restricted it simply to offline.

Bindal said:
A few years back, developers and publishers were all about "more frames and better graphics"
Now, they can't do either - and then try to make it sounds not being able to do so is better.

How about admitting that you completely screwed up, guys?
You are aware you're putting everyone in the industry in the same box right? I don't recall From Software being one of those "we have the best graphics in the world, behold the majesty of this bush!" developers.
Why should smaller developers who for the most part just make good honest games be referred to as braggarts due to the existance of Ubisoft/EA/so on?

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Kaymish said:
why would you cap the frame rates anyway why not give people the choice if your rig cant handle 1080P at 60fps then swap out the settings for something it can handle its better to let people have control over the settings so if they want to play at a standard frame rate they can and if they want to play at a low frame rate they can do that too or if they want to emphasize graphical effects over frame rate let them do that or vice versa
I think it is because of what happened with PC version of DSII.

Now, I'll admit right away that I did NOT play DSII personally. What I am to say is heard and/or read from other sources. With that out of the way:

PC version of DSII has higher frame rate compared to console version. This resulted in game counting every hit made to an enemy after their death as hitting a wall, somehow. This resulted in weapons wearing out a lot faster. People had to actually downgrade the game to 30 fps to play it properly.

Listen, I am a guy that prefers higher framerate to better picture, but if what I've written now is actually true, then locking the framerate at 30 is better than have your gear destroyed faster.

That is if devs won't find actual sollution, obviously.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
The only thing worse than 30fps is less than 30 fps...
Eternal_Lament said:
Also important to note, all the Souls games have been 30fps so far, and although they can be upped to 60fps on PC, Dark Souls 2 has also shown that From's games are kind of built around "frames" in bizarre ways, such as weapon durability and invincibility frames, meaning running it faster is actually making the game harder for you. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the team going for what they're used to.
So they buggered up, attatched gameplay-related things to the frame clock and you point at this as an example that 30 fps is a good thing? Interesting.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
Synthetica said:
The only thing worse than 30fps is less than 30 fps...
Eternal_Lament said:
Also important to note, all the Souls games have been 30fps so far, and although they can be upped to 60fps on PC, Dark Souls 2 has also shown that From's games are kind of built around "frames" in bizarre ways, such as weapon durability and invincibility frames, meaning running it faster is actually making the game harder for you. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the team going for what they're used to.
So they buggered up, attatched gameplay-related things to the frame clock and you point at this as an example that 30 fps is a good thing? Interesting.
Or they created a unique gameplay system that a bunch of people love, and maybe sacrificing a bit of framerate so they can tie systems to frames and make an extremely successful franchise is worth it?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Truly they are trying to achieve that cinematic experience.

One day they will sell us a blank disc and tell us that its a game where you can use your imagination, the black screen is a white canvas for you to do whatever you want, its a feature they will say.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Well this was on my list of 10 games i want before i get a PS4 but its looking like its going to fall off.

Its just a bullshit excuse, 30 is not better than 60 for anything, it makes your game feel sluggish and laggy, i have tired going back and playing dark souls 1 without the fix and it was so horrible to play.

I have never seen this weapon degrade thing in DS2 some weapons such as 2h katanas break very fast is that what you mean? My black-steels and manslayers last ok.

Even my friend who always says that graphics and stuff like that don't matter now agrees that things should run at 60, and i quote " i don't care about the graphics as long as it runs at 60fps"

Firstly lower the graphical fidelity, if that does not work then and only then you can lower the resolution to get it to run at 60.

If you have chosen 30 as the hardware is not good enough fine but say so, don't give us this crap that its "better" its not we know its not and you know its not. I am pissed off enough that this game wont be on pc and this has just make me even more sad.

For a game type that prides itself on the quality of the game-play you would think they would want the game-play to be as good as possible. Possibly not

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
To be honest I much prefer a stable framerate over a higher one; I'd take a game that plays consistently at 30fps over one that aims for 60 but keeps dipping. Obviously we don't know if that was the case here, but I imagine if the hardware/their optimization was capable of a steady 60fps they would have gone for it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Shame it's due to a poor translation of a press announcement.

That being said, $60 is always better than $30 and the same applies to FPS - all other things remaining the same.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I would hope it isn't best; 60 fps should have been the benchmark with this new gen due to the new hardware, but if anything we seem to have regressed. But then again, there's the reality of the situation: reaching and maintaining that benchmark is HARD. And most devs seem to be doing anything they can to get out of doing it lest they put some actual WORK in.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
STENDEC1 said:
The only reason to limit your framerate to 30fps is purely because of hardware limitations. Anyone who claims that 30fps is better than 60fps either doesn't know what they're talking about or is being deliberately misleading, most likely for the purposes of marketing. After gaming for so long at 60fps, anything less looks jerky and unplayable to me. It looks like what it is - the hardware can't handle a faster framerate and is therefore not able to make the game look as good as it could.

As to the argument that 30fps is more "cinematic" than 60fps, I'd like to point out that film runs at 24fps, not 30. You just try running your game at 24fps and then tell me it looks better than 60fps.
Even then, that's only the filming speed, the projector is running at 72 fps, so even the cinemas don't think things look better at low frame rates.

Mostly high frame rates are good so that when fluctuations happen you don't end up at 12fps, dipping from 120 to 90 is way less of a problem than dipping from 60 to 30.

Dec 16, 2009
Well it was a mistranslation, so moving on to the point that this is due to hardware limitations;
Why can't this be the gen to give console users graphical options instead of nannying them? Could all be presents, drop to 720 res = increased frames, lets be honest, I'm sure plenty play on tvs that can ONLY do 720. Increase average frames auto drops AA etc

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Just stop it. Stop lying out of your ass! you can empirically test this. just sit a bunch of GAMERS down and have them play Dark Souls on 30FPS and then 60FPS and see which one they will pick.

superguin200

Mar 13, 2012
This settles it; there's no way I'm buying Bloodborne now. I guess Lords of the Fallen will have to tide me over until Dark Souls 3 or whatever From is making next.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Man, Dark Souls couldn't even keep a solid 30FPS and I have no reason to expect Bloodborne to be different.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well apparently it was a hiccup on the translator's part. So no biggie.

Though it's really fucking weird the way that so many devs are talking out of their asses about framerate and resolution. I find 30 FPS to be acceptable and it doesn't really hinder my gameplay experience, but to claim that it's better is like saying the middle class makes more than the upper class. It just isn't factually true.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
superguin200 said:
This settles it; there's no way I'm buying Bloodborne now. I guess Lords of the Fallen will have to tide me over until Dark Souls 3 or whatever From is making next.
you're skipping what is probably going to be the true successor to dark souls, because you can't be bothered to play five minutes of a game to adjust your eyes to a certain frame rate.
that's beyond amazing
what is life like for you

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
*Sigh* yet another game industry apologist trying to claim the Ocean isn't wet. Its getting to the point where i'm starting to regret we have Xbone/ps4 at all for the way they are dragging down PC games...