Bloodborne Getting Limited Run Series - Sony & HBO Confirm

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
OMGOMGOMGOMG…

An early version of the script exists along with some concept art, both of which I’ve seen. The story will be similar in structure to movies like Dread or The Raid, with the protagonist set with a seemingly simple task but has to work through a series of battles with enemies. Each episode of the proposed 8-episode season sees the protagonist fighting a boss from the game in the climax. Between what I’ve seen in the script and of concept art, these will be visual feasts for the eyes, and in keeping with the Souls brand of bloody violence.

Sony is currently dissatisfied with some elements of the script and it is undergoing a re-write. Though, many elements, including the climatic boss fight for each episode, remain. We don’t have any casting news. However, it’s said they are looking for a lead actor who has a strong background in stunt work.

I’ve always wondered how a SoulsBorne would translate to film, but this could be even better. In that spirit -

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean sure, because the Dragon's Dogma series was just SO well received and had SO much to do with the game. Let's take a slow paced Lovecraftian horror Souls game set in a nightmare world of blood disease and monsters where the player character is a witless plague victim given a contract to hunt nightmare monsters and slowly uncover the otherworldly Gods controlling the world after thousands of deaths and reincarnations and....TURN IT INTO JUDGE DREDD, WHICH IS THE TERMINATOR BUT HE'S A GOOD GUY.
Sure! That's a accurate use of the genre and setting.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I mean, if this results in a remastered/boosted version of the game on PS5 to help with the marketing or whatever, that'd be nice for the fans. But other than that... w-why?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ok while this is cool news in theory. Are any of these shows based of video games even close to releasing? I feel like i've been hearing about that TLOU mini series forever and there is no sign of any kind of trailer or release. So while this is a cool story bro, it's meaningless until actual trailers appear.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Ok while this is cool news in theory. Are any of these shows based of video games even close to releasing? I feel like i've been hearing about that TLOU mini series forever and there is no sign of any kind of trailer or release. So while this is a cool story bro, it's meaningless until actual trailers appear.
They released a Dragon's Dogma series in the same vein of the Castlevania series. It was hot garbage. It was a generic fantasy anime with only the names of stuff to link it to Dragon's Dogma.
As I've said earlier in other threads, video game adaptations either prove the narrative can't be translated faithfully, or simply take names and make the rest up. In this case they just made the rest up.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, but Bloodborne? Not exactly a name that means anything outside the Souls community. I mean, Mario, Uncharted, TLoU, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and God of War actually ring a bell to people outside of the gaming space, but Bloodborne...

I don't know, maybe if they turn it into a super moody piece in the vein of Angel's Egg, minimal dialoge and all, it could work, but we all know that's not going to happen. Just another future trainwreck for everyone to look forward to. *sigh*

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, but Bloodborne? Not exactly a name that means anything outside the Souls community. I mean, Mario, Uncharted, TLoU, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and God of War actually ring a bell to people outside of the gaming space, but Bloodborne...

I don't know, maybe if they turn it into a super moody piece in the vein of Angel's Egg, minimal dialoge and all, it could work, but we all know that's not going to happen. Just another future trainwreck for everyone to look forward to. *sigh*
Doesn't matter how well it's known, as far as the big execs are concerned, money is money.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean sure, because the Dragon's Dogma series was just SO well received and had SO much to do with the game. Let's take a slow paced Lovecraftian horror Souls game set in a nightmare world of blood disease and monsters where the player character is a witless plague victim given a contract to hunt nightmare monsters and slowly uncover the otherworldly Gods controlling the world after thousands of deaths and reincarnations and....TURN IT INTO JUDGE DREDD, WHICH IS THE TERMINATOR BUT HE'S A GOOD GUY.
Sure! That's a accurate use of the genre and setting.
Pretty sure they mean this Dread, and not sure why everyone’s automatically dogging this just because “videogame”. The Castlevania series is good, The Witcher series is good (ignoring the novels because the only reason it got a series is the games’ popularity), and both of these have the same episodic mini series format.

All they have to do is limit the narrative, drench it in atmospheric horror and get the creatures and fighting done well. This could be amazing.

Reactions: BrawlMan