Bloodborne Is Getting A Dungeon Run-Inspired Card Game - Update

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Bloodborne Is Getting A Dungeon Run-Inspired Card Game - Update

Bloodborne is about to get a tactical card game created by the designer of XCOM: The Board Game.

Update: Bloodborne: The Card Game has been officially revealed, which means Eric Lang is actually able to discuss its mechanics. At GAMA 2016, he took part in a video to show how the prototype version of the game works. Already, the brutal difficulty curve is clear as players face enemies who devastate your health and stored blood reserves. For players, it's less a question of whether you'll win than how long you can survive.

Sounds like a Souls game to me.

Original Story: Do you love <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/bloodborne>Bloodborne, tabletop games, and the thrill of facing brutally overpowered monsters with friends? If so, you should keep an eye on CMON Games' newly announced Bloodborne card game. Not only will it adapt the brutal difficulty of the original, this Bloodborne was created by Eric M. Lang - the designer who previously brought us <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136667-XCom-The-Board-Game-Needs-You-Commander#&gid=gallery_2974&pid=1>the XCOM board game.

According to Lang, who revealed the card game on Twitter, Bloodborne is based on Chalice dungeon runs where you attempt to defeat monsters and take their blood. It will also feature inventory management, upgrade systems, and tactical combat. "My goal with Bloodborne was to channel the intensity and frustration of the video game into a contest between players," Lang writes. "Lots of death."

This certainly isn't the first time <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/galleryoftheday/15388-Tabletop-Games-Inspired-by-Video-Games>tabletop releases have been inspired by video games, but Bloodborne is still a special case. It remains one of the PlayStation 4's most popular games, featured some wonderfully unsettling monster designs, and was a promising alternative to From Software's traditional Dark Souls universe. However these card mechanics hold up, those elements alone will be more than enough to warrant attention from Bloodborne fans at launch.

Now we'll just have to see whether players will be compelled to play after countless deaths once again.

[gallery=5989]

Source: GamesRadar

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
I read the word Bloodborne and was like "aw yeah DLC bring it". I'm very sad.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
sorsa said:
I read the word Bloodborne and was like "aw yeah DLC bring it". I'm very sad.
Unfortunately Miyazaki confirmed that there will be no new DLC :(

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The only way this will be representational would be if 18/20 cards are "HA! You died! Fuck you!", the 19th is "You failed, Try Again?" and the last, 20, is "Jim Sterling hates you! Also you died!"

THEN its a Souls Card Game.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I won't be satisfied until it's possible to win the game with a naked guy who has an entire hand of roll cards.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
Having actually played the Xcom board game I have to say I'm interested in this. For those who haven't played it the Xcom board game is a cooperative game that does a fantastic job of keeping things tense and forcing constant difficult strategic decisions. It's a blast, and while of course a board game probably won't be able to replicate the atmosphere of Bloodborne if it can bring that same feeling of tension wrapped up in a bloodborne flavored coating that will be fantastic.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
This really has me intrigued, and the fact it's Eric Lang as the designer is a massive boost.

I can't do the computer game but I really love the aesthetic of this game, the Victorian style had me interested until I saw it was from the Dark Souls guys. I just cannot play them so I was saddened, especially since The Order 1886 turned into such a shitpile (the reason I opted for PS4 when I first saw that one previewed)

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Take BloodBorne, a game that is purely about skill of the player and change it into a card game, a form of games that is purely about RNG.

As much as I love the lore or BloodBorne and would be happy to spend money on stuff BloodBorne related, a card game sounds like utter pants.

Shadowfury333

Mar 26, 2009
bluegate said:
Take BloodBorne, a game that is purely about skill of the player and change it into a card game, a form of games that is purely about RNG.
Not necessarily. If the game is built around holding all cards in hand, with the possible exception of the cards most recently played, then the player's moves are determined by their choices, rather than RNG. Now that doesn't mean the enemies won't be random, but the first time through a BB Chalice Dungeon (or at least Root Chalice Dungeon) that's basically the case anyway, so cleverly and carefully using your abilities would be the key element, not randomly drawing into the solution.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bloodborne is a game about reflexes and reactions. Cant really see how a card game is going to capture that. XCOM is a turn based strategy game, so it makes sense for a card or board game. This seems...lame.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
"It's pain and suffering, until you die"

Yep! Sounds pretty close to Bloodborne to me.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Saelune said:
Bloodborne is a game about reflexes and reactions. Cant really see how a card game is going to capture that. XCOM is a turn based strategy game, so it makes sense for a card or board game. This seems...lame.
Bloodborne is also about upgrading yourself and your equipment, so you can make more mistakes without dying.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
CaitSeith said:
Saelune said:
Bloodborne is also about upgrading yourself and your equipment, so you can make more mistakes without dying.
So is virtually every RPG ever. If you are going to make a thing based on a thing it should be based on things that made that first thing stand out. I could see a DnD type tabletop game about Bloodborne but not a card game.