Bloodstained is the Eighth Most Funded Kickstarter Ever

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Scars Unseen said:
It's also the most funded video game Kickstarter, beating out the previous champion, Torment: Tides of Numenera, by well over a million dollars.
That is what I would have put in the title then. Good for them.

Dalrien said:
Breaking the top 100 and breaking the top 10 are different things.
#1 or nothing!
Good luck... Star Citizen at $84 million and still going strong.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
TT Kairen said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Scars Unseen said:
It's also the most funded video game Kickstarter, beating out the previous champion, Torment: Tides of Numenera, by well over a million dollars.
That is what I would have put in the title then. Good for them.

Dalrien said:
Breaking the top 100 and breaking the top 10 are different things.
#1 or nothing!
Good luck... Star Citizen at $84 million and still going strong.
Not on Kickstarter, and not within 32 days. That, and Star Citizen isn't so much get pledges at this point as making sales in microtransactions on a game that isn't out yet. I backed that game and am looking forward to it, but you're comparing apples and oranges here.

Marxie said:
Scars Unseen said:
Umm... of course it can't. The reverse is also true. The things that made Planescape: Torment good and the things that made Igarashi's Castlevania games good are not the same things. Trying to compare the two at all is ridiculous from the start.
Just because two things are different doesn't mean we can't compare them. True, a number of categories of one simply does not exist for the other, but we still can look at overall value and impact.

With new Castlevania, we will get... another portion of classic Castlevania gameplay. Probably fun and enjoyable, yes. Still - something we kinda sorta already had.
New Torment means a brand new story, new themes and ideas, and also amazing and memorable characters. Not just an extra dose of what we love, but probably a new territory to explore. Have you seen the cast of writers they got on board?

It's like if we could choose between a new Stephen King book and a new movie by Sergei Eisenstein. Both brilliant and enjoyable, but only one is capale of delivering something immortal.

>but Marxie why can't you enjoy both?
Stop trying to make me stop not liking things that you like.

TT Kairen said:
Star Citizen at $84 million and still going strong.
And this is why we all are going to suffer on the Judgement Day. When Jesus died for our sins, he did not foresee what the sinful human nature is actually capable of.
And so are you. This is why I said that the two couldn't really be compared to each other. You can look at Castlevania and say that the story is mostly throw away melodrama that barely has a presence in the game. I can look at Torment and say that the actual gameplay is barely functional horse piss that pads out the time between the awesome dialogue. Which is the greater criticism when talking about a video game? The answer is highly subjective, and trying to compare the pros and cons of the two does a disservice to both. They are different types of games, each a legend in its own genre.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Marxie said:
And I rather like Castlevania. Still, it just can't compare on the fundamental level.
True, they can't be compares due to them being of such vastly different genres, settings, and design philosophies, which is baffling why you're comparing them in the first place other than to kick off a pointless argument. Yeah, Torment's record got shattered, big deal, that's why records exist in the first place. You're talking about a game by a legendary designer whose previous projects inspired a LEGION of imitators and are still seminal classics that will continue to go down in gaming history. There is no point in getting pissy over him managing to raise nearly $6 million for a project that clearly has a significant audience waiting for it.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
mysecondlife said:
Sad thing is, Konami probably doesn't care.
No, the sad thing is that Konami will probably still insist that there isn't enough interest for this type of game.
If they care enough to insist that is.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I will admit I was surprised by Bloodstained's kickstarter. For awhile there I thought it would never break the 4 million threshold, but it end up getting to 5.5 million. The features this game will have are the things you'd find a company release for DLC at $3-5 a pop; 2 extra playable characters, Boss Rush mode, Boss revenge mode, Retro mode, Classic mode, Roguelite mode, Co-op, etc. They only wanted $500,000 but got 5.5 million. That's to say the quality should be better. Still I can only imagine the profit it will bring once they sell it overall. Much like Mighty No 9 there will people throwing money at the official release.

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
Marxie said:
Aiddon said:
Yeah, Torment's record got shattered, big deal, that's why records exist in the first place
Who gives a shit about the record. I give a shit about people giving more of a shit about Castlevania, even though we kinda know what we're getting.

Aiddon said:
You're talking about a game by a legendary designer whose previous projects inspired a LEGION of imitators and are still seminal classics that will continue to go down in gaming history
And that's the point. Metroidvania genre is currently in coma (sometimes briefly reawakened by likes of Ori) mostly due to being drained to hell and back. It was discovered, explored, perfected and slowly killed by crisis of creativity. There is almost nothing new left to say on this field, other than adding pointless gimmicks just for the sake of them. The best option for Castlevania series would be simply ported to all new platforms so that youth gets to know the classics.

Yes, it's sad, but trying to facefuck our dead beloved will not bring her back. And damn, when I want me some Symphony of the Night I just play Symphony of the Night. Who the fuck actually needs ANOTHER Symphony of the Night but now called Bloodstained when we already have Symphony of the Night called Symphony of the Night? And God help it to actually be at least Symphony of the Night, as opposed to a failure at necrophiliac nostalgiamancy.

It's like if instead of Torment: Tides of Numenera we had Planescape 2: The Return of TNO. That one story is as done and perfected as Castlevania's gameplay, that's why we love them! Returning back to it gives us NOTHING.

Aiddon said:
There is no point in getting pissy over him managing to raise nearly $6 million for a project that clearly has a significant audience waiting for it.
I'm glad that the audience is waiting. So let the audience be glad that I'm pissed at them.
The more I read into this, the more it seems like you're deconstructing your own argument with the sad thing being that you're not exactly realizing it yourself but facefucking "Torment" Is a fun activity too, I guess.

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
Marxie said:
They are both exercises at nostalgia-milking to some extent, yes. The difference is that new Torment might give us new story and ideas, while new Castlevania certainly won't give us new gameplay.
Implying Bloodstained won't. You're a very tunnel visioned person and very sure of Torment, even it hasn't even come out yet. I wish you luck In your tunnel visioned ways and may your bias stay with you forever.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Marxie said:
Are you done? Seriously are you DONE? Have you got that all out of your system now? Because I certainly have, mostly because you have shot any chance you had of me taking you seriously with this little gem:

I'm glad that the audience is waiting. So let the audience be glad that I'm pissed at them.
And now we're getting to it. Pissed at them for WHAT? Supporting a game that they clearly want to see be made by a designer who hasn't given one of them in awhile? Certainly the Metroidvania genre has its imitators, but the forefathers are the truest ones and to see them return is a welcome sight. And that's before we get into the bigger deal: that this does not effect you or Torment in the slightest. What, did Iga's success retroactively steal funds from Torment's KS campaign, is it suddenly not going to come out because its record got broken by Bloodstained, did it beat up Colin McComb and steal his lunch money, what? Because it doesn't make any sense to get mad at it otherwise.

And that's before we get into the REAL problem: Numenera is just Planescape with the serial numbers filed off. That's why Torment is in the name, like Planescape: TORMENT, so much so that they made sure to get the rights to the title "Torment" back. It's no different or better than Bloodstained in that regard because it banked on nostalgia and familiarity with a cult classic game and they clearly benefited from saying that. It's going to channel ALL the same things Planescape did because that's what the supporters and the even the design team wanted. Criticizing people for supporting Bloodstained because it's channeling Castlevania while supporting Torment (which again, is Planescape in all but name) is freaking loony. Now I'm done and am now going to play every Metroidvania I have in my collection because they're just that fun. Moving on.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
KoudelkaMorgan said:
The interesting bit is that he apparently had backers already going into the Kickstarter, simply awaiting proof of public interest to fork over the goods. Now, they have that money, the crowdfunding money, and the money of all the people waiting the next few years to hand them more money for the actual game if they didn't already back it.

Meanwhile Konami keeps racking in that sweet pachinko money..
Yeah, they said the Kickstarter money was only 10% of the overall budget in order to get the investors to fork out, so they actually ended up getting more from the Kickstarter than the entire original game budget. Its now more than doubled at over $10 million. Ridiculous money for a game of this type.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dalrien said:
We did get nice things, that being the game itself.Dun be a hayter.
Unlike David Hayter who's voicing the villain/Dracula analogue of the game. I'm also surprised they managed to convince Robert Belgrade (the original voice of Alucard) to return for a cameo. The real intriguing mode is going to be the Roguelike mode in the game where the castle is randomly generated.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Marxie said:
You do realize that what you love is basically a well written choose your own adventure book seeing how you admit that the gameplay of torment was nothing to be proud of, right?

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Marxie said:
Aiddon said:
And that's before we get into the bigger deal: that this does not effect you or Torment in the slightest
Westboro Baptists also don't affect you or me in the slightest. Still anger-worthy, no? One does not need to be personally involved in an issue to have an emotional response to it.
You just compared a kickstarter campaign to a hate-group... Thumbs up, would react again!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I still haven't found any the cosplay that they say they supposedly got...! :(

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Jesus fucking christ there's fighting here? You give me a sad. I backed both Torment: Tides of Numenera AND Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

Cuz I'll play and probably enjoy one for one set of reasons and play the other and probably enjoy it for another.