Bloody'sThoughts on: Fallout 3

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
Okay! After all the comments on my Zombieland Review telling me it was bad and that...I am a bad person and...I should enjoy Zombieland....I decided to ease the pain of the stake I drove right through each and every one of yours hearts after ripping apart Zombieland, with a review of one of my favorite games...

You!...Actually I can't find a joke for this picture...
Fallout 3 was created by Bethesda Studios, and was the long awaited sequel to the Fallout franchise. It was one of the most hotly anticipated games of 2008. Now, ive never been much of a fan of RPG games (JRPG's in particular) im more of a shooter gamers, FPS or TPS. But after hearing all my Xbox live friends rave about how great this game was, I just had to pick it up and give it a try. I certainly wasn't disappointed, as this has become one of the funnest games I have ever played.

I was worried at first about how clear the objective of this game was going to be. But with the handy Pipboy-3000 that problem never arose. The story is an epic tale of a son, or a daughter, who has just escaped the thought to be possible to escape Vault 101, in search for his, or her, father in the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust in the D.C. area. It has a broad deep scope, and fits this world perfectly.

There are a variety of ways Fallout 3 can be played. In either first or third person perspective. It can be played like a normal FPS, but I don't recommend that. You can also take advantage of the surprisingly effective and useful, V.A.T.S. (Vault tech assisted targeting system) system. Which allows you to specifically target body parts and tells you the percentage of a hit. The system works well without making things too easy. And the RPG elements really help give the combat a sense of strategy. You could also, if you wanted to, play the game with little or no combat, by just talking your way out of problems. But wheres the fun in that eh?

Good! I didn't wanna ask question anyways Dad! I just wanted to explode alien brains so fuck you!

The RPG element consists of many thing, but predominantly special traits, perks, and skills are what runs each character. S.P.E.C.I.A.L.(Strength, Persuasion, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck) traits are very broad and broken down into seven categories that are mostly chosen at the start of the game. Perks are given at every level, and vary, from specialized weapon training to gore and damage. The skills are things used directly in the game from lock picking to weapon skills medicine. These all help give the player a great sense of choice in the ability to influence how the game is played. Which is very refreshing.

Exploration is a huge part of the experience of the game as well. And to say the least, is extremely enjoyable to be able to travel almost anywhere in this desolated wasteland, and see everything that it has to offer. There's almost an endless amount of fun exploring in this game. And with the downloadable content, you get to experience other ares of this universe making it potentionally boundless. And with the downloadable content Broken Steel, the game wont end when you complete the game. You'll be able to continue on as long as you like. The graphics and visuals[footnote] I combined these two cause they work in symbiosis.[/footnote] really makes Fallout 3 stand out from any game of it's kind. Fallout 3 takes place in a wasteland. And this wasteland is perfectly realized and almost eerily realistic.

Many people feared that the visuals of Fallout 3 would be just be Oblivion with a different coat of paint. But that is most certainly not true. The character models look similar to the Oblivion character models. But considering how stellar they are, one really can't complain too much. I only have one complaint on the character models, as Yahtzee has once said, they still do that thing where they stand like they have a stick jammed up their rectum and stare straight into your eyes looking completely paranoid. This just makes it seem creepy to me. I don't know why, I didn't have that problem in Oblivion, but it just does. The game features and almost photo realistic description of Washington D.C. literally torn apart by nuclear warfare.

The realism is obviously something that the game reflects because for the most part, everything looks photo realistic. As great as this is, what makes it better is the fact that everything, and I mean everything, in the game is unique. From what we see in our everyday lives, to cities torn apart and crumbling. The weapons are worn and beaten, and the gore is done perfectly. To say the least (again) Fallout 3 is one of the best looking games ever(in my opinion).

Boom headshot! What do I win?

At some point a game comes along that is so compelling that it just takes you away, and you become addicted to it until you finish. But Fallout 3 is more than that. You finish the game, then you start a different character and do things differently in the game. Maybe you blow up Megaton this time. Maybe instead of helping the slaves you become a slaver yourself. This is the real genius of Fallout 3. Every time you play the game, there's something new and unique happening.

Overall, with the beautiful visuals, a rich atmosphere, and smooth gameplay, this game gets a 10/10 by me, and if you go out and buy it right now, expect hours upon hours of your life taken away because of it. Fallout 3 was very worthy of the title "Game of the year" by IGN. Thanks for reading, please comment and tell me how well I did. And I hope you read my next review.

Gaming:
Mountain Maniac
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide (NES)
Borderlands
Team Fortress 2
Half life 2
And now, Fallout 3.

Machinima:
Spriggs
Red Vs Blue
Pregame Lobby
Arby 'n' The Chief.

Films:
Zombieland.
Gaming:
Halo 3: ODST
Halo 3
Modern Warfare 2
Mass Effect 2
Gears of War 2
Half life 2: Episode 1
Half life 2: Episode 2
Portal
Red Faction Guerrilla
Smackdown vs Raw 2010
Skate 2
Civilization Revolution

Machinima:
Phil
Forgotten Spartens
Freemans Mind
Forecast
Deserted

Movies:
Return of the Living Dead
Night of the living dead
Inglorious Basterds
Shutter Island
More to be added....
TL;DR and I will stab your unborn babies...

All images come from google images and all videos come from Youtube. So all credit goes to the owners and creators of either an image or a video.

Thanks for reading and commenting! Much appreciated. But if I see that I have 300 views but 3 comments I will become super pissed off.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm...
A very nice review but I have a niggle with it.

Now, I know that you love this game as you admitted and you have shown with this well written and nicely presented review but I can't spot a bad word anywhere against the game. It's all good which is fair enough but you have to throw in a few bad points as well. You have to set the bias aside and go into it completely unswayed by anything.
Course, I tell you that and I know before hand I'll be praising the shit out of FF XIII when I get to it. Ah, well.

And the pictures. It's not an official rule or anything but it would be better if they didn't have tags on. I've had a few tags in picture on an old review and people (read people as Pimppeter2) mentioned that they make it look off and just unprofessional. Which they are but it can look professional.

But before I get all negative and shit, I shall agree with you on nearly all points.
I love exploring the Wasteland, the random encounters make doing so exciting, the NPC's have little to no life, apart from the tone of voice and the graphics. My God, I nearly hump the TV every time I play this.

So, to sum up, a good review but remember to be a bit more unbaised next time.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
Sassafrass said:
Hmm...
A very nice review but I have a niggle with it.

Now, I know that you love this game as you admitted and you have shown with this well written and nicely presented review but I can't spot a bad word anywhere against the game. It's all good which is fair enough but you have to throw in a few bad points as well. You have to set the bias aside and go into it completely unswayed by anything.
Course, I tell you that and I know before hand I'll be praising the shit out of FF XIII when I get to it. Ah, well.

And the pictures. It's not an official rule or anything but it would be better if they didn't have tags on. I've had a few tags in picture on an old review and people (read people as Pimppeter2) mentioned that they make it look off and just unprofessional. Which they are but it can look professional.

But before I get all negative and shit, I shall agree with you on nearly all points.
I love exploring the Wasteland, the random encounters make doing so exciting, the NPC's have little to no life, apart from the tone of voice and the graphics. My God, I nearly hump the TV every time I play this.

So, to sum up, a good review but remember to be a bit more unbaised next time.
Yeah, I was afraid of that one Sass. I have to admit I am a bit biased on certain games. But who isn't?
And the logo thing, they were the best images there XD. So I took them. Thank you though.
Liberaliter said:
Good but try to avoid watermarked images.
Above quote. I saw them, I liked them, I couldn't find any more, so I took em. Ill try and avoid that next time.

[sub]By the way, next up is Half life 2 episode 1. After I do my next Machinima review and Movie. I hope ya like that one. *Wink*.[/sub]

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
BloodyThoughts said:
O

You!...Actually I can't find a joke for this picture...
It looks like he's trying to Pie a guy at range. HOW DID YOU NOT SEE THIS.

---

Love the review, The music was the thing that sold it to me, I still love the songs, Officially.

What genre of music is it technically classed as?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
OT:

My favorite game in the whole world, ever. Glad someone else loves it as much as me. I still think you could have pointed out the flaws but hey... each to his own. I still love it with all its flaws.

Sassafrass said:
My God, I nearly hump the TV every time I play this.
Me too. I even use it as an example to show my mum why I get so addicted to games. Nothing beats watching the sun set over the western mountains from a high overpass.

And yay, Dr Cox is back!

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
MiracleOfSound said:
Sassafrass said:
My God, I nearly hump the TV every time I play this.
Me too. I even use it as an example to show my mum why I get so addicted to games. Nothing beats watching the sun set over the western mountains from a high overpass.

And yay, Dr Cox is back!
And nothing beats watching Megaton asplode at midnight from a balcony on Tenpenny Tower.
Show your mum that, see what she thinks then. XD

And indeed he is.
Til Sleekgiant sends me an animated SmileDog. *Evil grin*

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I just last week bought the game, though it didn't beat Oblivion n my mind, I found it quite excellent. In fact, I think I'll go play some now.

Stellar review.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
It's one of my favourite games ever time too, so I liked the review. You didn't mention any of the numerous bugs that this game carries though. I mean, they're common knowledge and generally they don't really bother me, but it definitely ruins the experience when you have to reset your machine in the middle of an epic battle (that whole first sequence of "Take it Back!" really makes my PS3 suffer).

The other thing was that while the graphics are pretty good, they are not the best.

Boom headshot! What do I win?

This must be a shot from the PC version, there's no way a PS3 or Xbox could make this game look that good.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Your review blinds me it is so glowing!

Seriously, I love this game, but I might mention some of the bad points. I wouldn't want people to be disappointed by say, the fact that the game tends to crash a bit or the metro tunnels.

Otherwise, nice review!

[sub]Fallout Vegas is too far away!!![/sub]

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Insanum said:
Love the review, The music was the thing that sold it to me, I still love the songs, Officially.

What genre of music is it technically classed as?
Oldie Timey?

It's a little bit of everything really, there's some blues and jazz and swing music in there. and what would have constituted as pop back in those days I should think. Because of the mixture, probably it would be defined by it's decade, so 50s or 40s music.

Where's BonsaiK when you need him? He's the music industry pro. He would probably know, right?

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
The review itself seems a bit vague, possibly as there is no mention of the huge amount of bugs that inhabit it. Oh and typos are sometimes inexcusable, such as "the thought to be possible to escape vault" missing out the "im" changes that sentence completely.

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
BloodyThoughts said:
Liberaliter said:
Good but try to avoid watermarked images.
Above quote. I saw them, I liked them, I couldn't find any more, so I took em. Ill try and avoid that next time.

[sub]By the way, next up is Half life 2 episode 1. After I do my next Machinima review and Movie. I hope ya like that one. *Wink*.[/sub]
Yeah what I do is try to find some without them on, they were awesome screens though.