Bloom County Comic Strip Debuted 30 Years Ago

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
Wow. Thanks for making me feel old...

I remember reading this in the newspaper, along with the other big two - Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side.

Sometimes, it really is better to quit while you're ahead...

Oct 14, 2010
In the end, it's the strips that "ended early" that I tend to remember and respect the most. Thanks, Mr. Breathed!

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
This brings back memories. So here you go:

That strip was included in every issue of the Norwegian "Calvin and Hobbes" - magazine for many years of its run. I was about 12 when I started collecting the magazines, and would always skip the "Bloom County" pages because I didn't see the humor. Eventually, when I was in my late teens, I checked out one of the "Bloom County" pages once more - and suddenly found myself enjoying it immensely.

The best part, of course, was the massive backlog of unread "Bloom County" strips I had accumulated in the meantime!

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
I started reading Bloom county when I was 11 in the 1990s, and man, what a great comic strip. My love of ridiculous names and overinflated circumstances are hugely inspired by Bloom County. Unfortunately, Outland and Opus were pretty terrible.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Ah yes, Bloom County. I fondly remember reading it. It was (naturally) translated to Swedish, but they made an awesome job translating it. I would buy these books in a heartbeat if I could find them.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Agreeing with Kathleen on Outland and Opus but Bloom County was EPIC! Found some mp3's of Billy and the Boingers songs "I'm a Boinger" and "U Stink But I <3 U" just now. Wicked funny! For copyright purposes, I won't post the links but I'll post a decent quality youtube vid instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxHAElC2FBw