"Blow Up Best Buy" Guy Comes Clean

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Blow Up Best Buy" Guy Comes Clean

The nutcase who threatened to blow up Best Buy over his Modern Warfare 3 preorder says he was only kidding.

Tuesday was a bad day for 31-year-old Colorado man and Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320957326&sr=8-1] fan Lomorin Sar. After waiting to pick up his MW3 preorder at a midnight launch event at Best Buy, he was told he didn't actually have a preorder and wouldn't be allowed to buy the game. He didn't take the news well, allegedly threatening to shoot employees and blow up the whole store, which, big surprise, led to the police being called and charges of disorderly conduct and making a bomb threat. But he was only kidding!

"I put my hands up to my head and I'm like, 'God, now I'm mad.' I said, 'I am so pissed right now I can blow this place up'," Sar told 9News.com [http://www.9news.com/news/article/228963/188/Suspect-in-store-bomb-threat-over-video-game-I-wasnt-gonna-blow-it-up].

He acknowledged that it was a "poor choice of words" but continued, "I wasn't gonna blow it up or anything like that. It's just something you say when you get mad, you know what I mean? But they're like empty threats. You can't get in trouble for just saying you're gonna bomb a building."

To clarify for those unaware - like Mr. Sar here - you actually can get in trouble for saying you're going to bomb a building. Go into an airport sometime and try it, or if that's not convenient, buy a ticket to a movie and then start screaming "Fire!" midway through the show. People tend to take that sort of thing seriously.

And while screwed-up preorders are frustrating, it turns out that Sar's may not have been carved in stone. Despite being an obviously high-strung Modern Warfare 3 fan, he waited until the day before launch to put in his preorder and called it in while he was driving, so he wasn't able to write down his invoice number or anything else related to the transaction. He says he was told that he could get in line at 11 pm and would have "no problems" picking it up, but when he got to the counter the staffer said his name wasn't in the system, even though he said he could see it written on a box.

Sar said he's sorry for threatening to kill people but believes he's owed an apology as well. "It has to be mutual. [The manager] needs to apologize for screwing me around," he said. "It's like me wasting my time over there when I could have just been at home playing already. I wanted to be playing. That's what I wanted to do. Playing and ranking up."

He is presumably now doing just that with the copy of Modern Warfare 3 he picked up after the incident at a nearby Walmart.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Sure, I asked people when they're leaving the store and threated to kill them, but they MADE ME ANGRY WITH A VIDEO GAEEEM

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
"I could be playing and ranking up by now" was his mentality when he decided to threaten real people with real violence.
Oh..God, why do we allow these people to even play videogames? Sounds like every rager I'v ever played with.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Maybe Mr. Sar remembers why its a bad idea to threaten to blow things up in America now.

Doubt its going to help him in the long run at the moment though.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I love in bold letters the news reads "VIDEO GAME THREAT".

When the story is about some asshole with anger problems making a bomb threat.

If he hadn't exploded over his messed up MW3 order, it would have been over something else.
He clearly has anger issues.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Let's hope from now on, he'll choose his words carefully. That and not go to Best Buy if they mess up. That's what I would do if they mess up of preorder. Go to a different store. It'll save you the trouble of being entitled as an idiot on the internet.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
This guy is an utter tit, he does not deserve an apology from any body, he should have his game taken away and not allowed to play with it until he grows up.

Again what a tit

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Wow. Yeah, I'm not going to apologize to you after you threaten my life. No.

I would like to point out that he makes no mention of threatening to shoot employees. Probably because he knows that you can't kid about that. Not that you can really kid about blowing up a place either.

Rijo

Dec 2, 2008
At the end of everything Walmart saves the day.
And if you were just buying a basic copy of MW3... I cant see popping a fuse over it...
Being you could have walked in to another store and picked up a copy.
>.> Maybe he's just off his Meds

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
Yeah hahaha. Fuunny joke man. Oh boy are you hilarious.
Hey I've got another joke. I'll come to you place of work and threaten you about something which you have no control over.
Oh boy wouldn't that be hilarious.

*Just to say because it's difficult to tell when typed but I was being sarcastic*

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I'm not backing this guy at all but I really don't like how there's more and more laws now governing what you can and can't say.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
This is just pathetic really. And the fact the media will likely act as though he's a 'victim of video-game adiction' makes it all the worse. The guy knew what he was doing/saying was wrong. He knew he was harrassing the employees. And yet he acts like he did nothing wrong and that THEY'RE the ones who should appologize for getting him arrested.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Scrustle said:
I'm not backing this guy at all but I really don't like how there's more and more laws now governing what you can and can't say.
Personal freedoms only extend to where you don't infringe on other people's freedoms.
Freedom of speech will not cover threats as that infringes on the freedom of security and peace of mind.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Attempting to feel sorry for him.... nope, can't do it. He deserves to be charged.

Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
I love in bold letters the news reads "VIDEO GAME THREAT.

When the story is about some asshole with anger problems making a bomb threat.

If he hadn't exploded over his messed up MW3 order, it would have been over something else.
He clearly has anger issues.
This. Oh dear gods in heaven, exactly this. This is not about video games, it's about a jerk. I've heard stories where people threaten McDonalds or some other restaurant because their order wasn't right, but no one blames that on the foodservice industry. Or road rage on the car industry, or...

Forget it, I'll just make myself angrier if I keep thinking about it.

Radoh said:
Scrustle said:
Personal freedoms only extend to where you don't infringe on other people's freedoms.
Freedom of speech will not cover threats as that infringes on the freedom of security and peace of mind.
Correct. In fact the "fire in a crowded theatre" metaphor, usually referred to legally in the US as the "clear and present danger" test, was first articulated by Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jnr in a case in 1919. Not exactly recent history. This idea has been around for a long time. There are places for arguing about speech restrictions, but this isn't a good case to bring that up.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
"It has to be mutual. [The manager] needs to apologize for screwing me around," he said. "It's like me wasting my time over there when I could have just been at home playing already. I wanted to be playing. That's what I wanted to do. Playing and ranking up."

yes because after you threaten to kill them they need to say sorry you wasted an hour in line. while im not a huge cod fan i still feel sorry for the gamers who are because they have to put up with the media comparing them to dumbasses like this

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
I thought that they had already apologized to him and offer him an upgrade to the hardened edition.