Blu-Ray disc production phase out process will begin soon

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh. I mean, we expected this at some point, but it still really sucks since streaming is getting worse and worse. Just finding where something you want to watch is streaming can be a huge pain in the ass.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Stock up if you want/need more physical storage media -

Movie format will continue to be sold for the time being until further announcement.
Fuck off Sony. What I am supposed to get, 4K? I don't have a 4K TV, nor do I need to waste money on one right now? If I have to go back to buying standard DVD editions of movies, so be it. The only 4K player I have is my PS5.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If I have to go back to buying standard DVD editions of movies, so be it. The only 4K player I have is my PS5.
Is there an actual downside to getting movies on DVD? I mean, I guess one day they'll stop making DVD players.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is there an actual downside to getting movies on DVD?
If you care about bonus features, you're not going to get all of them, or almost none of them. It's a trend that started during the early 2010s with Blu-Rays. If you wanted all the extras and bonuses, it would be best to get the Blu-Ray, and later, 4K versions of physical media. Before that, bonus features would be heavy in DVDs only or carrying old bonuses from Laser Disc copies. Also, Blu-Ray has much higher definition than DVD. With older movies, this is not much of an issue with most of them, but if you're watching anything from the late 2000s (08-09) and later, the Blu Ray really comes in handy and works its magic.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Fuck off Sony. What I am supposed to get, 4K? I don't have a 4K TV, nor do I need to waste money on one right now? If I have to go back to buying standard DVD editions of movies, so be it. The only 4K player I have is my PS5.
Only storage media will be affected for now. Movies will still be sold as normal but eventually even 4K might be axed since that’s Blu-Ray too.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Is there an actual downside to getting movies on DVD? I mean, I guess one day they'll stop making DVD players.
I’m really surprised it’s not happening to them first, or maybe no one’s talking about it. Far less storage space and they get scratched very easily.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Only if you leave them sitting out the case exposed. All of my old DVDs from the 2000s still work like brand new. It's called taking care of your shit.
Yup, no problem with that on my end either but renting anything was always a shitshow because other people usually didn’t unless it was a brand new movie. Never had to use a disc resurface tool with Blu-Ray.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yup, no problem with that on my end either but renting anything was always a shitshow because other people usually didn’t unless it was a brand new movie. Never had to use a disc resurface tool with Blu-Ray.
I rarely ever rented DVDs for that specific reason. At that point it is a case of buying this movie, wait for a sale, or not at all. Last time I think I ever rented a DVD was back in 2007.