Bob Hastings, Voice of Batman's Commissioner Gordon, is Dead

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Bob Hastings, Voice of Batman's Commissioner Gordon, is Dead

His third fight with cancer was his last.

Bob Hastings, character actor who portrayed Batman: the Animated Series' Commissioner Gordon among many other roles, has died. He suffered from pancreatic cancer; this was his third cancer fight in 15 years. He was 89 when he passed.

Hastings got his start in radio, when he was only 11. After the war he went back into radio for a while, voicing Archie Andrews through the 1940s and 1950s, before making the switch to television, where he spent most of the rest of his career. He's one of the few actors who can claim to have worked on the Kolchak: the Night Stalker [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0519494/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_118], and for many, many episodes and movies was Commissioner Gordon to Kevin Conroy's Batman. He even reprised the role in two video games: Batman: Vengeance, and Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu.

Hastings leaves behind a wife, four children, and many grand and great-grandchildren. Condolences to them all at this difficult time.

Source: IMDB [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0368561/?ref_=nv_sr_1]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
...if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go into a corner and cry for a little bit as this is damn sad. I loved Hastings as the Commissioner. Welp, this means only one thing for me now, time to go on another Batman: The Animated Series marathon.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
That's a surprisingly ripe age for somebody with pancreatic cancer. I'm going to assume he suffered from a less aggressive variety then.

@Neronium
If I was a dick I'd point out that pretty much everybody you know and love from your childhood entertainment, hell, any older people from your childhood, period, will die in the near future. And unless you yourself die early, it's very likely you'll get to witness it. So really, really hope that you'll get to witness it. But since I'm not a dick, forget I said anything.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Skeleon said:
@Neronium
If I was a dick I'd point out that pretty much everybody you know and love from your childhood entertainment, hell, from your childhood, period, will die. And unless you yourself die early, it's very likely you'll get to witness it. But since I'm not a dick, forget I said anything.
I know that, but I'm the type of person who has a very huge amount of empathy for emotions, and whenever someone dies, even if I didn't know them personally, I still get emotional about it. I'm trying to work on it, as it's a problem both my mother and I have. Heck, when Bob Hoskins died I rewatched Who Framed Roger Rabbit about 5 times...and the Super Mario Bros Movie once...

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Neronium said:
I know that, but I'm the type of person who has a very huge amount of empathy for emotions, and whenever someone dies, even if I didn't know them personally, I still get emotional about it. I'm trying to work on it, as it's a problem both my mother and I have. Heck, when Bob Hoskins died I rewatched Who Framed Roger Rabbit about 5 times...and the Super Mario Bros Movie once...
Wait wait wait... Bob Hoskins DIED?!? *goes googling* Back in April?! *frowns* Now I'm doubly sad... THANKS NERONIUM! :(

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Karloff said:
He suffered from pancreatic cancer; this was his third cancer fight in 15 years. He was 89 when he passed.
Gawddamn, what a boss... or maybe commissioner is the better word. Seriously, the guy must have been a mass of sheer will power.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Again? This year has been pretty hard on the nostalgia crowd hasn't it? My most sincere condolences to his family.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
Dammit...now, I'm sad. :( Still, at 89, he lived a good long life; I doubt we'll never know how much longer he could've lived had he survived his latest fight with cancer, but at least he touched a lot of lives with the time he had.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Hastings.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Skeleon said:
If I was a dick I'd point out that pretty much everybody you know and love from your childhood entertainment, hell, any older people from your childhood, period, will die in the near future. And unless you yourself die early, it's very likely you'll get to witness it. So really, really hope that you'll get to witness it. But since I'm not a dick, forget I said anything.
Sometimes I randomly think things like, "Stan Lee will probably die within 10 years or so." And then I get really depressed.

Bob Hastings sounds like an extraordinarily awesome man. He will be missed.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Trishbot said:
We just lost Alfred... My childhood weeps.
Did we?
*Googles*
Huh, wasn't aware. Two good actors, damn shame.

Also, three battles with cancer? Any person who can go to the grave saying he/she kicked cancers ass twice deserves a freaking medal.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That's sad to read. Great now that episode of Batman TAS "I am the night" will be dreadful to watch but that episode is my favourite moment of Commissioner Gordon when he renewed Batman hoped (how the hell has no one make a Youtube clip of that scene alone???).