Bob's Burgers Wins First Animation Emmy

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Bob's Burgers Wins First Animation Emmy

Cult-hit cartoon beats Futurama, South Park, TMNT and Archer for Outstanding Animated Program Emmy.

Quirky, good-natured animated sitcom Bob's Burgers has carved out a loyal following and solid (is unspectacular) ratings over four seasons on Fox, but in terms of a pop-cultural footprint it's seemed to live in the shadows of established giants like The Simpsons and series with more "extreme" sensibilities like Family Guy or South Park. But at Saturday's Creative Arts Emmy Awards, the underdog show came out on top - winning its first award for Outstanding Animated Program.

The award is given based on a single episode of a nominated series, in this case for crossover. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzLAjUBhMkM]

Created by Home Movies alumn Lauren Bouchard, Bob's Burgers follows the misadventures of a family operating a small independent hamburger restaurant in a boardwalk community. It is scheduled to begin its fifth season this fall on Fox, with reruns currently syndicated to the Adult Swim network.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2014/08/harry-shearer-bobs-burgers-win-first-emmys-820580/]

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Emmy, all right!
<youtube=MDceovq1rbY>
I'm glad they won. Its the best animated show in teh Fox lineup.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Objectable said:
Emmy, all right!

it reminds me of the simpsons but..actually good? don't get me wrong I love the simpsons as much anyone, Bobs burgers is just I don't know..something fresher

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Vault101 said:
Objectable said:
Emmy, all right!

it reminds me of the simpsons but..actually good? don't get me wrong I love the simpsons as much anyone, Bobs burgers is just I don't know..something fresher
Bob's Burgers isn't overly vulgar (like Family Guy or Archer), flooded with pop culture references and/or celebrity guest stars playing themselves (like Family Guy and latter-day Simpsons episodes), or surreal (American Dad!). It's like King of the Hill and Bouchard's first series, Home Movies, in that it's more mellow, and gains most of its humor through quirky, yet realistic characters and situations.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
It's about time, as was said Bob's Burgers is by far the best show on the fox lineup. It's a damn shame that it always looses out in ratings against all the other shows that it's vastly superior to.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Huh. I guess I'm alone in that I find the show to be rather boring. Aw well, I'm not the type of person who throws a fit when people disagree with me.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
erttheking said:
Huh. I guess I'm alone in that I find the show to be rather boring. Aw well, I'm not the type of person who throws a fit when people disagree with me.
No, you're not. I don't think it's a bad show, but I don't enjoy it very much. As you said, it's kind of boring. It's a down to earth (by animation standards) sitcom, and I guess that's just what people want right now.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ya know what, I'm glad they one. It's a pretty good show overall and the characters are nice and memorable. I don't see Seth toning it down when he bashes Bob's Burgers but I like to think he only pokes fun out of fear of BB's superiority. Like others have said, one of the better shows on Fox's animated line-up. Not overly vulgar, quirky, genuine...it's a good little show.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
shirkbot said:
It's a down to earth (by animation standards) sitcom, and I guess that's just what people want right now.
I think it hovers awkwardly in the middle. It's not mellow enough to have the charm of something like Dr. Katz or Home Movies, but it's not sharply comedic enough to be among the likes of The (old school) Simpsons or South Park.

I tried to get into this show, but every joke feels like it's trying too hard to not try too hard. If that makes sense. Plus, the fact that every character looks like they have Treacher Collins doesn't help much either. I'm fine with unconventional designs, but this looks alienating just for the hell of it.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
shirkbot said:
. It's a down to earth (by animation standards) sitcom, and I guess that's just what people want right now.
This feels like the reason for the success. It's different and therefore better just because it's that as opposed to actually raising the bar in any meaningful way.

Plus Black Friday was a damn good episode of South Park.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Not sure how that won over Futurama but I watched that clip and it was meh. Futurama still takes the price for me.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
erttheking said:
I tried watching a couple of episodes to see what all the fuss was about. It kept reminding me of a few older series called Home Movies & Dr. Katz, which I disliked, so unsurprisingly I didn't get the humor at all.

It's all a matter of personal taste. The kind of things I laugh at are explosions, bodily harm, GTA & Saint's Row, watching people crash/screw up/sabotage eachother in Trials & GTA races, corrupted game glitches, catching unintentional gay subtext in shows aimed at boys, randomness, gender role reversal, putting Slender in Tomodachi Life, watching people eat gross & expired food, the look on a person's face when they eat a Carolina Reaper, watching someone throw up after eating something on a dare, cheesy low budget movies with over the top acting & terrible voiceovers, sitcoms with completely dysfunctional families or worst friends who constantly backstab eachother....

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Meh, I guess.

I really never saw the appeal of that show, people say its rather grounded in reality but I see it as the opposite, the characters act so unrealistic and never evolve, they are very one note and even if Tina is an unusual character it doesnt do anything more then be as boring as possible and say innapropriate things for whatever is the current situation while everyone seems to ignore what she said as if she was Stewie from Family Guy.

Archer Vice dropped a lot in quality and I didnt saw the ending of Futurama. Still for this to be the first one to win an Emmy feels weird as there are some really good episodes out there. Futurama alone has so many incredibly good episodes. Even American Dad has gotten really good with the way it plays around with different genres (that episode entirely around Jeff trying to escape the alien ship, a hell of a good one).

I dont know, Bobs Burger feels like the definition of mediocre and bland.

Adfest

Feb 23, 2009
I caught glimpses of it and didn't care for the animation style, so I turned my nose up at first. I eventually caved and gave it another chance (helped that it was on Netflix) after seeing that wonderful crossover in Archer. It's now one of my favorite animated shows. I love the characters and the fact that it's "slow" doesn't bother me (sarcastic quotations because it really isn't slow). It's hard not to hear Archer when H. Jon Benjamin is voicing Bob, because aside from the dickish Archer attitude, they're very similar.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Adfest said:
I caught glimpses of it and didn't care for the animation style, so I turned my nose up at first. I eventually caved and gave it another chance (helped that it was on Netflix) after seeing that wonderful crossover in Archer. It's now one of my favorite animated shows. I love the characters and the fact that it's "slow" doesn't bother me (sarcastic quotations because it really isn't slow). It's hard not to hear Archer when H. Jon Benjamin is voicing Bob, because aside from the dickish Archer attitude, they're very similar.
Hello tippy2k2 doppelganger! How you are today?

That is exactly what happened with me. When the show first came out, I thought it was meh to not very good. I then ignored it for the last couple of years.

However, I too love Archer. Watching Archer on Netflix gave me lots of happy time until I ran out of Archer to watch, which gave me lots of sad time. After the "Bob's Burger" part in one of Archer's episodes, I went ahead and gave Bob's Burgers another go.

Happy time has once again come into my home! The show is a "wackier" version of King of the Hill in that it's a (relatively) down to Earth animated show that has interesting characters. Unfortunately I am on Season 3 now of Bob (the last one on Netflix currently) so sad time will once again darken this home until I find something else to watch...

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I don't like it, but it provides momentary entertainment every once in a while.

Until I realise that I hate it, and stop watching. Not because it's slow, not because the art style is horrendous (which it is, but I've been watching South Park since I was, like, 12, so complaining now is futile) or because it's a The Simpsons rip off.

But... there's just something about it that I like (its sense of humour is fairly unique, but it's nothing new), but there are just too many things that... nag at me that I hate about it.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
ok, now I've watched a little of it. I don't get it. I suppose the critics or whoever decides on these awards like it.