Bob's Game Developer Stages 100 Day Protest to Nintendo

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Bob's Game Developer Stages 100 Day Protest to Nintendo

Robert Pelloni, the one-man development team behind Bob's Game [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZf2E_wBvng&fmt=], is locking himself in his office for 100 days in protest of Nintendo's apparent refusal to grant him a development kit.

"I cannot leave this viridian room," Pelloni wrote [http://www.bobsgame.com/]. "The door is locked and barricaded from the outside. I am sleeping behind the camera, and yes- I've got a shower. Food is delivered once a week by a friend...This is my 100 day protest to Nintendo!"

Pelloni, who claims to have been working on this "retail length RPG type console game" for five years and 15,000 hours, met with Nintendo last February and then had problems even getting an application for a license to acquire a software development kit, which would let him put his game onto the Nintendo DS. "I asked the WarioWorld division, and they sent me to marketing," he wrote. "I talked to marketing and they said apply with WarioWorld division! The agreement on the application states I will receive a decision within 6-8 weeks. It has been 17 weeks!"

As Pelloni sees it, Nintendo is refusing to grant him an SDK because it's wary of the nature of the game as a one-man independent project. "Someone at Nintendo doesn't like this project, because it blurs the line between homebrew and commercial," Pelloni said. "It's a special case - an industry first - and it's going to take someone in the company taking extra initiative and making a move...can I fly there and negotiate? I asked that already. They don't know."

Whether this is a publicity stunt or, sadly, just a lost cause, you have to give Pelloni credit for his persistence, not just in developing a "retail length RPG" by his damn self over 5 years, but because he seems completely unflagged in spite of it all. Despite admitting to the failure of other fan endeavors like the Mother 3 campaign [http://classic.fobby.net/petition/mother3/], he is wholly convinced that Nintendo is listening and will eventually come around. "The longer this goes on, the more interesting it becomes," Pelloni said. "I'm not wrong, and it will work. I'll see you there on day 100, REGGIE!"

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Huh... this should be interesting.

Still Nintendo's unwillingness to do anything with Mother 3 does prove there is a screw loose over there somewhere.

SiliconKnight

Nov 23, 2008
does he truly believe nintendo is watching or is this hype building for the internet release when nintendo says no?

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
nathan-dts said:
Merry Christmas?
And a happy New Year.

This man is either a genius or not mentally sound.
It's a fine line.

Or, maybe, the game just wasn't that good and he's gone into denial after all that work he put into it.

Or, he's nuts.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Or maybe it's because he's batshit crazy...
Ding ding ding diiiiiiiiiing! We have a winnah!

Sorry, but this guy is looney tunes.
If you're crazy enough to make and finance (I hope it wasn't his parents) a game and call it "Bob's Game", you're crazy enough to pull a stunt like this. I for one applaud his diligeninsanity.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
You sure he wasn't going to do that anyway?
Just now he can say hes protesting.

oneofm4ny

May 27, 2007
bad rider said:
You sure he wasn't going to do that anyway?
Just now he can say hes protesting.
Yeah maybe he just don't want to spend xmas and easter with his family.

Awful music in the game trailer.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
SiliconKnight said:
does he truly believe nintendo is watching or is this hype building for the internet release when nintendo says no?
I bet Nintendo are keeping an eye on this, and when he comes out they're just going to say no again. And then they'll sacrifice a few virgins and drink the blood of the innocent.

SiliconKnight

Nov 23, 2008
Meado said:
SiliconKnight said:
I bet Nintendo are keeping an eye on this, and when he comes out they're just going to say no again. And then they'll sacrifice a few virgins and drink the blood of the innocent.
All hail Mario, lord of the damned.