Body Found Near Barrie May Be Missing Gamer - UPDATED

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
My heart goes out to that family. No-one should have to hear that news and no parent should have to bury their child.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Malygris said:
UPDATE: An autopsy has confirmed that the body discovered by hunters is in fact that of Brandon Crisp. The final results of the autopsy are not yet known, but police are continuing to say that foul play is not suspected. The staff of The Escapist extend its deepest condolences to Brandon's family.

Minor Update [http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20081108/crisp_autopsy_081107/20081108/?hub=TorontoNewHome]?

To sum it up: Fell out of a tree, foul play has been ruled out.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
fish food carl said:
Was it really necessary for a picture of his remains being carried in a bag to be included in that article?

I'm not squeamish or anything, but what if the parents saw that? If I were them and saw the remains of my child in a plastic bag, I'd break down in tears.
Did you even bother reading the caption below it?

"OPP officers walk out off deep brush with a bag of materials as police believe the body of 15-year-old Brandon Crisp may have been found by hunters just north of Barrie, Ont., on Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2008. (Nathan Denette / THE CANADIAN PRESS)"

Besides, last time I checked bodies were put into those big black body bags, not what appears to be a brown paper/plastic bag. Also, how many people have you seen who can hold a child's body with that kind of grip with a single hand?

It was a bag of stuff they found, not the body.

Editted for shitty grammar after carl quoted me. Damn ;(

babyblues

Apr 22, 2008
I mean, the lion doesn't mourn every zebra it kills does it?
Emotions are what separate us from the animals.

Every kid runs away for awhile at least once in their life, to "show" their parents they're srs bsns, but they always wander back home. Looks like this one was just unlucky. Poor kid.

babyblues

Apr 22, 2008
At 7 years old, no child would last long in the big, dark, and scary world all alone without becoming scared and running back to the safety and security of home. I'm sure that you, as a widdle man, had no intention of going back home. However, despite the stubbornness of young children, that stubborness is usually replaced by fear, sadness, or they just forget why they were mad in the first place.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
babyblues said:

Every kid runs away for awhile at least once in their life, to "show" their parents they're srs bsns, but they always wander back home. Looks like this one was just unlucky. Poor kid.
Neither of the above statements are true. Animals have emotions, that's pretty much fact.

And I didn't run away from home, ever.

Oct 16, 2008
I can't seem to choose a side on this story. The kid shouldn't have started giving up a real life for one that, in the end, wont amount to anything. On the other hand, the father shouldn't have let the kid be that attached, and should have solved the problem in a less blunt matter.

Two wrongs make a bigger wrong it seems.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
fish food carl said:
Jumplion said:
fish food carl said:
A thought strikes - we get very sad for this poor soul, but if we hadn't heard about him we wouldn't have been sad. People die every second, but we never mourn them in the same way we mourn somebody who has a bit of press. Why is this?
I'm sorry, but that's usually a question 9 year-olds ask. We can't spend out whole day mourning for the person who died 3 seconds ago, it's life and we have to accept it.
I guess so, and I realise that we can't mourn everybody, I'm not a simpleton, but sometimes it just seems a tad ... for want of a better word, unfair. I don't personally feel bad for everybody who has died, but it sometimes just gets to me that certain people are given ... again, for want of a better word, preference.
We still mourn the losses of WW2 as well. Maybe you should start a protest about it?

Anyways, this truly does suck. I mean the kid made mistakes and all but the fact is that he's dead now. Can't imagine how the parents must feel.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Cinder Block of Oppression said:
I can't seem to choose a side on this story. The kid shouldn't have started giving up a real life for one that, in the end, wont amount to anything. On the other hand, the father shouldn't have let the kid be that attached, and should have solved the problem in a less blunt matter.
I don't think you really need to choose a side. Neither the teenager nor the parents did anything wrong here. The kid got hot because he was grounded, the parents got hot because the kid flew off the handle: It's a scenario that plays out countless times every day. The only difference here is that the kid had a bad accident and didn't make it home.

Everyone looked for something to blame. The parents fingered videogames, gamers fingered the parents' inability to maintain a functional relationship with their son. A lot of people pointed the finger at the police, who failed to find him immediately. It's a natural human reaction. But at the end of the day, there's nothing more to this kid's death than circumstance and bad luck. It's sad as hell, but that's all.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Amnestic said:
babyblues said:

Neither of the above statements are true. Animals have emotions, that's pretty much fact.

And I didn't run away from home, ever.
Yes, animals do have emotions. It's just that, lacking all the luxuries and powers of humans, bare-bones survival takes prescience over feelings for others. I'm sure it is fully aware that killing a zebra makes said zebra unhappy, but the lion still needs to eat, so it accepts its low tolerance for an all-vegan diet and decides to go with the flow that helped his ancestors make him. That's nature for you.

And without agriculture or a presiding authority and such, humans would become no better.

And I totally went off-topic. Sucks for the kid.