Bolsonaro supporters storm Brazil's Congress, Supreme Court, Presidential Palace

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
January 6th the sequel: Tropical edition.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
January 6th the sequel: Tropical edition.
So the other interesting question - how much might Bolsonaro (or people in his immediate team) have been involved in helping organise this?

Bolsonaro, in his typically mealy-mouthed and ungracious way, has condemned the violence. Notably, he still has not publicly, formally conceded victory to Lula, thus continuing the implication that he did not legitimately lose the election. Whilst he may not have the cojones to orchestrate a coup, or is wise enough to keep it far enough away from him to avoid legal worries, I suspect that he'd extremely happily exploit a coup to reassume the presidential mantle.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Bolsonaro is currently visiting Trump and Steven Banon at Mar a Lago, but Im sure that's just a coincidence. Also I didn't know you could arrest people the same day as the coup! I thought you had to let them leave and return home unmolested and then wait 6-10 months before their children get scared and frustrated at their fascist parents and turn them in for bounty money. Crazy Brazilians. First the bikini wax, and now this?!

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
History has repeated itself.
First as a tragedy, then as a farce.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Bolsonaro is currently visiting Trump and Steven Banon at Mar a Lago, but Im sure that's just a coincidence. Also I didn't know you could arrest people the same day as the coup! I thought you had to let them leave and return home unmolested and then wait 6-10 months before their children get scared and frustrated at their fascist parents and turn them in for bounty money. Crazy Brazilians. First the bikini wax, and now this?!
Brazilian domestic law is a little more forward-thinking than North American domestic law.

Of course, this also means that Putin has lost the final neo-fascist ally he had in BRIC after Trump's defeat. His "multipolar" dream-- reliant entirely on neo-fascist puppets-- required sympathetic Latin American or south Asian neo-fascists to provide support.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
History has repeated itself.
First as a tragedy, then as a farce.
I'd only say that the events in Brazilia are quite a lot more significant. The clear blue water between Lula and Bolsonaro, and what they mean for the Amazon-- and therefore the fate of the planet-- are more immediately larger than the implications of a Biden victory against Trump.

This is only considering the global influence of direct policy. Trump of course encouraged informal disregard and callousness towards environmentalism, as well as national chauvinism, to an extent that can scarcely be quantified, to other global neo-fascist or far-right demagogues like Bolsonaro, Meloni, Putin, Orban, or any number of others.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Bolsanaro has made sure he been seen on store cameras during the events of the coup

So, at least he wasnt as stupid as Trump and be present in the same vacinty

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Without facing actual consequences these ghouls will never stop.

-

In the space of 24 hours over Sunday and Monday, former Trump political adviser Steve Bannon said no fewer than 10 times on the right-wing social media platform Gettr that Lula "stole the election." When he shared images from Brasilia on Sunday showing the houses of Brazil's democracy under attack, Bannon labeled the insurrectionists "freedom fighters."

Since before the October election, Bannon has been hosting guests on his popular podcast warning about fraud in Brazil and promoting accusations that voting had been compromised.

Other U.S. election deniers also weighed in. Ali Alexander, a leading organizer of the Stop the Steal movement contesting the 2020 presidential election, called Brazil's Supreme Court "illegitimate" and urged Brazilians to "do whatever is necessary."