Bolsonaro's "Assembly of the Insane"

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Late last month, Brazilian Justice Minister Sergio Moro resigned, and alleged that President Bolsonaro fired the head of the Federal Police in order to prevent a corruption investigation which may implicate his son (is this sounding familiar to anybody else...?).

The real topic of this thread, though, is a two-hour-long video of a Brazilian cabinet meeting (from 22 April), which has already been seen by Supreme Court investigators. Moro (who was present) claims that the video provides proof that Bolsonaro fired the head of Federal Police to block a specific investigation, and that the video should be publicly released; Bolsonaro says otherwise, and that the video should be destroyed.

So... although not publicly available (yet?), a partial transcript (produced by the Attorney General) and several leaks have provided some excellent content:

* President Bolsonaro states, "I’m not going to wait for [the federal police] to fuck my family and friends just for shits and giggles";

* The Education Minister refers to Brasilia as "cancer" and "crap";

* The Economy Minister states that they need to "sell the fucking bank of Brazil";

* The Foreign Minister refers to the novel coronavirus as "Communavirus", referring to the Communist Party of China (particularly notable given the strong trade links between China and Brazil);

* Bolsonaro refers to various governors as "shit" and "manure" (recall that the vast majority of Brazilian governors have ignored the government's call to immediately end the lockdown).

Sources;

(Paywall)

((The thread title, by-the-by, comes from the description given to Bolsonaro's cabinet by a Supreme Court Judge in the wake of the video screening for court investigators)).

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
What astonishes me is that anyone needs to see this video to realise just how intemperate and extreme Bolsonaro is.

He could hardly have made it plainer that he'd like return Brazil to a dictatorship with himself at the helm and absolute power to order people around and enrich himself and his family. Lucky for him, in Brazil as in many other places, a good quarter-to-third of the country are basically fanboys of authoritarian, nationalist strongmen so his support hasn't completely collapsed.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Late last month, Brazilian Justice Minister Sergio Moro resigned, and alleged that President Bolsonaro fired the head of the Federal Police in order to prevent a corruption investigation which may implicate his son (is this sounding familiar to anybody else...?).
Biden. Ah... Trump. No wait - Bush. It cant be Clinton, shes only got a daughter.

Isn't it funny how America cant pick a president nominee that hast done crimes

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Sneed's SeednFeed

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Azerbaijan
Man's a fascist, simple as. Lula was imprisoned on bogus charges, etc. etc. (also fuck Getulio Vargas, I know middle class Brazillians would come at me, but seriously, different gradients of dictatorship does not make it not a dictatorship).

On the subject of piling on top of Brazil's right wing, I invoke this article, it was rather interesting as a glimpse into the ideology behind it:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Man's a fascist, simple as. Lula was imprisoned on bogus charges, etc. etc. (also fuck Getulio Vargas, I know middle class Brazillians would come at me, but seriously, different gradients of dictatorship does not make it not a dictatorship).
And ironically, Bolsonaro's now ex-justice minsiter, Sergio Moro, oversaw that conviction. With some considerable controversy: leaked emails appeared to show that he assisted the prosecuting lawyers. That conviction made Lula ineligible for election; he was going to stand against Bolsonaro and polls suggest he probably would have won, quite comfortably. That Moro then took a cabinet position with Bolsonaro... looks bad.

I make no comment on whether Lula was guilty - I wouldn't be surprised if he were, because as far as I can tell corruption is completely endemic in Brazil. Let's face it, President Rousseff was largely impeached for refusing to shut down the "lava jato" corruption case against a lot of senior politicians, in essence meaning she was removed by the corrupt politicians in an effort to protect themselves, many of whom were later arrested. On the other hand, she was guilty of what she was accused of: moving money between government departments, which is illegal in Brazil. Her replacement as interim president, Michael Temer, was also arrested and charged with corruption. Ugh.

Bolsonaro of course campaigned hard on an anti-corruption platform, which of course is a massive joke because it turns out members of his family (not necessarily himself, as far as I am aware) seem to be as bent as the worst of them. Which is even worse for Bolsonaro, when he's installed them in significant roles in his administration. Facing this problem, he appears to have decided to the obviously corrupt thing to do, and protect them...

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
And ironically, Bolsonaro's now ex-justice minsiter, Sergio Moro, oversaw that conviction. With some considerable controversy: leaked emails appeared to show that he assisted the prosecuting lawyers. That conviction made Lula ineligible for election; he was going to stand against Bolsonaro and polls suggest he probably would have won, quite comfortably. That Moro then took a cabinet position with Bolsonaro... looks bad.
It does indeed look bad. There's the possibility that the job offer came solely in order to lend credence to Bolsonaro's anti-corruption stance, rather than as a tacit quid-pro-quo, but you never know (particularly with just how endemic corruption is in Brazilian politics).

Bolsonaro of course campaigned hard on an anti-corruption platform, which of course is a massive joke because it turns out members of his family (not necessarily himself, as far as I am aware) seem to be as bent as the worst of them. Which is even worse for Bolsonaro, when he's installed them in significant roles in his administration. Facing this problem, he appears to have decided to the obviously corrupt thing to do, and protect them...
Just riding the wave, as Trump did with the "drain the swamp" slogan. In both cases, an attempt to weaponise genuine disillusionment and direct it solely towards one's enemies.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Biden. Ah... Trump. No wait - Bush. It cant be Clinton, shes only got a daughter.

Isn't it funny how America cant pick a president nominee that hast done crimes
They aren't crimes if you're rich and connected. Then it's just good business.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Reminds me about the recording of hungarian PM, that brough down their left-wing goverment, and made a clear path for Orban.

Not holding my breath, but holding fingers crossed for Bolsonaro's crew being analogically replaced by a left-wing figure.