Bon Jovi to Headline Japanese Final Fantasy Ads

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bon Jovi to Headline Japanese Final Fantasy Ads

Square-Enix is ditching J-pop for J(ersey)-rock for the ad campaign promoting Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers in Japan.

Let's file this under "Huh, didn't see this one coming."

According to "We Weren't Born to Follow" [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/10/12/bon-jovi-rockin-out-for-a-final-fantasy-commercial/].

The Bon Jovi ad is scheduled to air in Japan some time this month, though there is no word on whether said ad will be any more cohesive than other videos promoting Crystal Bearers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95246-One-Confusing-Final-Fantasy-Crystal-Bearers-Trailer]. Similarly, one has to wonder if Square-Enix's North American branch will be using the same promotion strategy (I mean hey, if you've already gone to the trouble of licensing the song...) or if it will be swapping Bon Jovi for, say, Gackt.

I have to admit, that as someone born and raised in New Jersey, I am legally bound to enjoy the music of both Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi. It's just how these things work. Still, a meld of Bon Jovi and Final Fantasy just seems like such an unlikely collision between two completely different cultures. It's kind of like like Kingdom Hearts, but instead of going to Agrabah and Wonderland, they go to Hackensack and Perth Amboy.

...yeah, I guess I'd play that, too.

(Via MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/10/14/bon-jovi-backing-crystal-bearers-ad-in-a-jersey-rock-final-fantasy/])

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
300lb. Samoan said:
Well, atleast Bon Jovi have the right haircuts for the job.
He's not as young as he used to be, but I think Jon Bon Jovi is still a pretty good-looking guy. I'm not gonna deny it.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Psychosocial said:
I'd never, ever, buy a game with Bon Jovi in the commercials for it. Not even if it was Left 4 Dead 2. My god, I hate Bon Jovi, I really, really do.
So glad I'm not alone out there...

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Great.... now I got "Living on a Prayer" in my head. Thanks John!!! :)

OT: This is neat, but ultimately the game will decide whether I but it or not. If I hear good things then yes, if I hear bad then no. Bon Jovi will not persuade me one way or the other.

hansari

May 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Let's file this under "Huh, didn't see this one coming."
I look forward to the day Toby Keith is used for God of War and JayZ is signed on to Pokemon...

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
Yeah, they prolly didn't want to scare off the locals too much. They must be able to relate to Bon Jovi somehow.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
Hey, you're back.

I have no idea whether this is good or bad, but it's going to win. At what, I don't know.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
We got to hold onnnnnnnn to Final Fantasy....yeah that could work I guess.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
randommaster said:
300lb. Samoan said:
Hey, you're back.

I have no idea whether this is good or bad, but it's going to win. At what, I don't know.
It's gonna win at epic jrpg hair, I wanna see Jon Bon with a spiked up massive top and an 8 foot sword.

EDIT: That's the song they're using? Really? Not what I expected for a massive video game launch... Not a Japanese one anyway...
Maybe a football game, or a first-person beer-commercial simulator I guess.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
randommaster said:
300lb. Samoan said:
Hey, you're back.

It's gonna win at epic jrpg hair, I wanna see Jon Bon with a spiked up massive top and an 8 foot sword.

EDIT: That's the song they're using? Really? Not what I expected for a massive video game launch... Not a Japanese one anyway...
Maybe a football game, or a first-person beer-commercial simulator I guess.
FFCC characters could use some beer to make the game more entertaining. The beer could also come packaged with the game to help you make sense of the trailer.

As far as Bon Jovi and swords go, I think they should stay on-theme and wield axes.