Bone Films Snag New Director And Writer

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Bone Films Snag New Director And Writer

Warner Bros. finally has a director attached to Bone, but the dude's track record may leave some fans concerned.

Jeff Smith's comic opus <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Complete-Cartoon-Epic-One/dp/188896314X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327002686&sr=8-1>Bone has had a movie adaptation in development by Warner Bros. since 2008. It's seemed like the film's been languishing in Development Hell for a while, but the production company has revealed that it's got a new writer and director on board to bring the project to fruition.

Heat Vision is reporting that Patrick Sean Smith (best known as the creator of popular TV series Greek) has been brought in to work on the screenplay. He'll reportedly be working on an earlier draft written by Justin Monjo (famous for his work on Farscape). Meanwhile, P.J. Hogan has also been attached to direct.

Now, Hogan may not sound immediately familiar to you, but he's an interesting choice based on his track record. The man directed Muriel's Wedding and 2003's pretty much hated by everybody. So, there's that.

The Bone film is set to be the first part of a trilogy, with the first entry arriving in 2013 or 2014 ("at the earliest"). The current plans call for it to be a CGI movie animated by the same studio that made Happy Feet, and Jeff Smith has gone on record saying he'd seen test footage last summer (which reportedly blew him away).

Of course, the movie is planned for a 3D release.

Source: Screen Rant

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
WHY DON'T THEY JUST GET JEFF TO WRITE THE SCREEN PLAY!? Fucking morons, it's like not getting Stephen King to do the screen plays for his book to movie thingies.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Not to sound like some kind of purist here, but I do not like the idea of this being CGI, for the same reasons I didn't like the idea of Tintin being CGI. Look, CGI is fine for films with new, original characters and settings. I love pretty much everything Pixar's ever done, I love the stuff by Blue Sky and even some of Dreamworks' stuff. But... with something like Bone, you have an opportunity to recreate the look of the comic book using hand-drawn animation. You say Smith was "blown away" by the test footage? We live in a post-Avatar world. Just how "blown away" can a person be by nice-looking CGI at this point? Has the man just never seen a computer-animated film before? No offense to the guy, but I wouldn't be especially surprised.