Boobs Sell Games, According to Activision

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Boobs Sell Games, According to Activision

How do you insure your game gets good buzz at a crowded GDC? You throw a party, that's how. And if you're really on the ball, you invite strip dancers.

Activision hosted an event at this year's GDC to show off a demo of their upcoming True Crime [http://www.amazon.com/True-Crime-Hong-Kong-Xbox-360/dp/B0030HLOUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970743&sr=1-1] action game. Activision's PR team converted a party room at San Francisco's W Hotel into a faithful re-creation of Hong Kong's "Club Bam Bam," from True Crime, complete with free drinks and plenty of exotically-dressed dancing ladies. Some of whom displayed remarkable physical skill (among other things).

The Escapist's Greg Tito covered the demo here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99001]. If you want a taste of the party itself, watch the video (may be NSFW).

[video=1517]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I liked the LA game.

LOVED the New York game.

Can't wait to see what happens with this one!

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
im sure we are gonna see some rational and trust worthy pre views coming soon.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I just watched a pole dancer do her thing for 30 seconds. Apparently this is supposed to get me hyped up for a new game? Didn't work.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Hopefully I wasn't the only who was hoping her pole would break and she'd faceplant.

Seriously this is considered news now?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
swaki said:
im sure we are gonna see some rational and trust worthy pre views coming soon.
Aye, to be sure.

Although, gotta give them points for foinf 110% lol

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
The LA game was alright, New York would've been great if not for a game crippling bug on the Xbox version that kept me from completing it.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I like the L.A version and the New York version but they never achieved the GTA greatness they always strived to emulate. I hope they can perfect it this time and find their own niche. This is their big chance since a lot of GTA fans are disillusioned with the fourth iteration.

P.S. Strippers are nice but a gameplay video would have been better.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jeronus said:
I like the L.A version and the New York version but they never achieved the GTA greatness they always strived to emulate. I hope they can perfect it this time and find their own niche. This is their big chance since a lot of GTA fans are disillusioned with the fourth iteration.

P.S. Strippers are nice but a gameplay video would have been better.
I think if they want to make headway into the "GTA-like" (i refuse to use clone) sandbox genre, especially at this time, they need to strike a balance of action and humor that borders more on the older GTA games. Saints Row 2 sorta got there but at the same time a lot of the humor was really crass instead of satirical.

Also I wonder if they have yet another character voiced by Christopher Walken in this installment.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
thats a good quality pole they had for the promo.
not sure how its relevant to the game, unless there are poles in the game, and they have some nifty physics swaying back and forth depending on stripper's position.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
So they advertise their game using using scantly clad women?

Until recently, didn't E3 already beat that horse to death?

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Wait, what? Activision uses hot girls to sell games?!

Anybody who's played through GH3 should already know this...

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Sparrow said:
Well. I saw a pole dancer.

And now I want this game.
Hope you are being facetious. That had nothing to do with the game at all.
It's like saying 'Oh there's a burger joint in the game...somewhere. Here, have some burgers. Now buy our game".