Book of Eli Studio in Talks to Buy Blade Runner Rights

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Book of Eli Studio in Talks to Buy Blade Runner Rights

One of the most influential sci-fi movies around could soon become a franchise.

Alcon Entertainment, the studio behind movies like Book of Eli and the reboot of The Wicker Man, are apparently in final negotiations for the rights for the seminal sci-fi movie Blade Runner. If Alcon is successful in acquiring the rights, it will be able to make sequels, prequels, and spin-offs. It will not be able to remake the original movie, however.

Blade Runner was based on the Phillip K. Dick novel, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and starred Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard, a special police operative called a "blade runner," who comes out of retirement to hunt down a quintet of escaped "replicants," which are biological androids almost indistinguishable from people. The movie was not a great success at the box office, but it has since gone on to be one of the most highly regarded and influential sci-fi movies of the last thirty years.

The rights for the movie currently belong to Bud Yorkin, who was an executive producer on the film. Yorkin will serve as a producer on any new Blade Runner projects, along with the two co-founders of Alcon, Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson, and Yorkin's wife, Cynthia. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, the joint CEOs of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.

In a statement, Johnson and Kosove, said that they had long-term goals for the franchise and knew that they had a responsibility to do justice to the original movie. They also said that they weren't planning to limit themselves just to film, and were looking at multiplatform concepts.

There's a lot of potential in the Blade Runner universe for some really interesting storytelling, but anything that Alcon produces is going to have to be pretty special. It's not unheard of for spinoffs to equal their source material - Stargate: SG1 is a prime example - but the original movie set the bar very high, and Alcon will have a real challenge on its hands trying to match it.

Source: Heat Vision Blog [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/alcon-entertainment-eyeing-blade-runner-163406?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+THRComicCon+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Heat+Vision)]

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'll be honest, Blade Runner never did much for me. In college a friend said that's because I hadn't seen the director's cut but watching that didn't change my opinion.

However I still recognize Blade Runner as an extremely important movie and I really don't think it should be turned in to a franchise. If they want to draw inspiration from the movie or the original Philip K. Dick novel that sounds great . . . but don't drag the originals down with you.

Korenith

Oct 11, 2010
Oh wonderful. One of the sci-fi classics gets handed over to the people who butchered the Wicker Man and managed to make denzel washington fighting Gary Oldman in a post appocalyptic wasteland boring. This will go well....

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Was my first response.

I love Blade Runner, love it infinitely. Now it could be in the hands of imbeciles who don't even know what they have?

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*insert picture of Darth Vader at end of episode 3 here*OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Seriously, what else can you say?

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Korenith said:
Oh wonderful. One of the sci-fi classics gets handed over to the people who butchered the Wicker Man and managed to make denzel washington fighting Gary Oldman in a post appocalyptic wasteland boring. This will go well....
^This

Though, we can at least take comfort in the fact that they can't do a remake. A small victory.

This day was inevitable..

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I immensely enjoyed Book of Eli. But it doesn't matter who you turn it over to, there should NEVER be a BLADERUNNER SEQUEL. The next Hollywood reboot rears it's ugly head. God, just take a chance on something new please! Don't ruin an otherwise fine movie (if not a bit overhyped).

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
Why does this always have to happen? They take something people like, butcher it, and then try to loot the corpse, hoping to make some money with those people's nostalgia.

I'm not saying that this is what has to happen, but it seems to be most likely that way.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I've seen a few Darth Vader "Nooooo!" responses to this, but that's not how I reacted. I reacted a little more like this:

no.

Quietly, simply, and with the clearest mind and delivery. Just turn around, think about you're doing, and go about your day. This isn't an issue of "how could you!? You monster!" in my mind, but instead "stop it. You're not allowed."

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
Never seen Blade runner but i have afew gripes with the Book of Eli producers.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Can't wait for the Citizen Kain game, it will be so cool.
I don't thin a Blade Runner game will gather much audience.

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
Wooo! Blade Runner Episode 2 - The Crystal Replicant coming soon to a cinema near you.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!