Books on Physics and Science in General

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Not a very strong subject, I know, but I'm currently getting into physics and basic sciences for...well just the hell of it really, but I'm looking for books on the subject of astrophysics or just really any science books that provide interesting information.

Note that I'm only starting out and I've only read a few books on the subject so don't post anything too heavy.

I've already read several of Michio Kaku's books (Physics of the Impossible and Parallel Worlds) and found them to be very interesting, so anything similar to that would be ideal for me.

Thanks in advance

Also, no text books. I'm not in school and I don't want to read text books considering how boring they can make any subject.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
There's always Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. Wikipedia also has some interesting articles, but they can tend toward textbookyness.
I'm sure there were others, too, but their titles escape me.

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
Oh dear me I have no suggestions, but have you looked at any internet sites video galleries, there might be something interesting to watch.

Google will be your best friend on your search.

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
I have my school books for those subjects... Not really too exciting...

I cant remember the name of the one that was on String Theory, it was something like "The E______ World"

Something along those lines.

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
Julianking93 said:
Not a very strong subject, I know, but I'm currently getting into physics and basic sciences for...well just the hell of it really, but I'm looking for books on the subject of astrophysics or just really any science books that provide interesting information.

Note that I'm only starting out and I've only read a few books on the subject so don't post anything too heavy.

I've already read several of Michio Kaku's books (Physics of the Impossible and Parallel Worlds) and found them to be very interesting, so anything similar to that would be ideal for me.

Thanks in advance

Also, no text books. I'm not in school and I don't want to read text books considering how boring they can make any subject.
Any time I see a Discover Channel thing involving Michio Kaku, I know it's going to be cool. He's a BAMF.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
You know those Library things? They have aton of books on science. Seriously, just go into the building, pick out a book and read. Look for a title that sounds interesting to you and read it. Don't worry about recommendations, they're all good.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Mookie_Magnus said:
That he is.

I've never seen him on Discovery before, but I've seen him on interviews with Penn and Teller, random clips from Youtube, and on Larry King.

He was talking about the alien life thing that Stephan Hawking mentioned about them being hostile towards Earth or whatever.

I just like the way he presents himself.

Burnswell

Feb 11, 2009
If you're new to the field Neil DeGrasse Tyson's "Death by Black Hole and other cosmic quandaries" is about all kinds of science and speaks in plain english most of the time. He also has it in audiobook format on iTunes etc.

Pokenator

May 5, 2010
University text books aimed at students are usually expensive, but the best comprehensive guides you'll find, just visit the bookshop of your nearest uni.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Can't help you on the physics front, but for science in general I like Jared Diamond's books on cultural anthropology (Guns, Germs, and Steel is one of my all-time favorite books).

TheLastCylon

Apr 14, 2009
Julianking93 said:

Thanks in advance

Well, the best choice here is just going to school and studying. (This is of course assuming you are interested in perusing a career in physics)

If not, read Cosmos by Carl Sagan. It's pretty interesting, even though he may not be the best writer in the world.

SlowShootinPete

Apr 21, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_General_Ignorance

I remember this book having some science-related stuff in it.

Also,

http://mentalfloss.com/