Books you finished and just thought: "Well...that was shit"

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
READ!!! Nothing your school made you read. The School board knows as much about literature we'd like as much as I want to sacrifice Justin Bieber's soul to whichever supernatural embodyment of evil I can find.

Okay, rant over. Mass Effect: Deception. Now, don't rag on video-game novels. The first three were actually quite good and provided a nice cherry on top of Mass Effect's cake(anyone remember this meme?). The first three were written by Drew Karpyshyn (the lead writer of Mass Effect), but this one was the first book of a newbie.
Basically, it was poorly written. The characters were shallow and their personalities from the previous books and/or games were butchered. The "dramatic plot twist" was so poorly executed and stupid that I just put it away for a while, before finally finishing it.

EDIT: Yes, I know that there were quite a few faults with the established lore that even a casual fan would've foamed at the mouth at, but I chose not to be another drone to the swarm.

So, how about you guys?

Mayhaps

Mar 8, 2012
I don't remember what it's called but there is a book that's the unoffical sequel to "catcher in the rye", it was complete and utter shit.

Captcha: well read

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I'm reading Insomina by Stephen King, I wouldn't describe it as shit it's just a tad disappointing no where near as good as I thought it'd be. I've got to the last 194 pages and I just can't be arsed to finish it. Sorry, King old friend you've lost this one man.

theparsonski

May 29, 2010
I remember reading the first Darren Shan book about demons and thinking "hell this is good", but from there on in it decreased in quality and comprehensiveness until I literally threw one of the sequels at the wall. I read some of his vampire books as well; they were utter shite too.

Other than that, not much, although I read Patrick Ness' 'Chaos Walking' books and I thought pretty much exactly what the OP put, but not because it was bad, mainly because it was over and there was no scope whatsoever for any more sequels. Shame.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Twilight tome 4 .

The ending was so shit and anti-climactic. Nothing happens . I mean really all that build-up to have bella just expand a protective forcefield preventing their opponents from doing anything .

Yeah that was shit .

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
Maximum Ride: The Final Warning. It's the fourth in the Maximum Ride series which were for the most part pretty good, although the science was a bit strange at times.

I won't go into detail, but the book is about the main characters having nothing to do, so they go to Antarctica, play with penguins, defeat a brain in a jar(yes, really.) by accident via hurricane, then they talk to Congress about global warming.

Oh, and a talking dog grew wings for absolutely no reason.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
There was this William Shatner Star Trek book which he basically wrote because Generations didn't have him "die alone" - it was the unofficial sequel to that movie (which I quite liked actually) and "fixed this". It involved Borg and Romulans, and it was stupid. Completely stupid.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
IIRC it was called Dragon Sleeping, there are apparently 3 books in the series and I don't recall what book I read. The premise sounded really good but it ended up being a fascinating study on what happens when an author has writers block. There were several points in the story where it not only got very sluggish, but the characters dropped all their traits and sounded exactly alike and the writing suddenly started swearing a lot....then everything would go back to normal and the story would proceed at a good clip...until the NEXT bout of writer's block hit.

MarkDavis94

Jan 12, 2011
I read all the Twilight books, because I thought I would read all of them before I start to bad mouth it so I could back it up with examples from the book.

DEAR GOD THEY WERE SHIT. Book number 4? WTF?! Nothing happens!

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
The 4th Twilight book was awful. The Darren Shan Demonata series was pretty darn crappy after the 3rd book in my opinion. There was a Stephen King story about a pupil who discovers his neighbor had a dark past, I couldn't finish it, it just didn't draw me in.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Renegade-pizza said:
READ!!! Nothing your school made you read. The School board knows as much about literature we'd like as much as I want to sacrifice Justin Bieber's soul to whichever supernatural embodyment of evil I can find.

Okay, rant over. Mass Effect: Deception. Now, don't rag on video-game novels. The first three were actually quite good and provided a nice cherry on top of Mass Effect's cake(anyone remember this meme?). The first three were written by Drew Karpyshyn (the lead writer of Mass Effect), but this one was the first book of a newbie.
Basically, it was poorly written. The characters were shallow and their personalities from the previous books and/or games were butchered. The "dramatic plot twist" was so poorly executed and stupid that I just put it away for a while, before finally finishing it.

EDIT: Yes, I know that there were quite a few faults with the established lore that even a casual fan would've foamed at the mouth at, but I chose not to be another drone to the swarm.

So, how about you guys?
Well, Drew Karpyshin isn't exactly the best novelist either. At least not when he's working with other people's ideas. To whit, he has a couple of serious abortions of novels, namely Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil, and Revan. Dynasty of Evil was just stupid compared to the fairly solid first two novels, while Revan managed to undo every single cool thing Obsidian had added to the Revan Character, as well as utterly destroy any of the ambiguity that KOTOR 2 established with regards to the true Sith. Also, he killed T3M4 and the Jedi Exile. NOT COOL.

In other Star Wars Novels, Invincible. One of the worst books I've ever read.

Apr 29, 2010
Atlas Shrugged. It took me months to finish that tedious load of crap. I thought it would be interesting, but damn, you could use it to put an insomniac to bed.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I read a Terry Goodkind book once. I can't remember what it was called. I think I blocked it from my memory.

Awful, awful writer.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Dan Brown - that book that was turned into a film with Tom Hanks... which I'm currently very proud of being unable to remember the title of.

Other than that... oddly enough, when I read Song of Ice and Fire, I really didn't like it. I've still got the first few books kicking around (cheap fucker that I am, got a whole load for much cheapness), so I'll have to give it another go.

Oh, and anything I've had the misfortune to read by CS Goto.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I can't help but feel that the ending to Lord Sunday came right the hell out of nowhere.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
I'm reading Insomina by Stephen King, I wouldn't describe it as shit it's just a tad disappointing no where near as good as I thought it'd be. I've got to the last 194 pages and I just can't be arsed to finish it. Sorry, King old friend you've lost this one man.
That is my absolute FAVORITE Stephen King novel! The climax is fantastic. I know it can be a trudge, but trust me, you have to get through it.

OT: Watership Down. It was far too complicated as a book, but the film is magnificent.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I remember reading The Hobbit and when I finished I put the book down and said out load I have no idea what I just read. It wasn't that the book was bad I just couldn't tell what was happening mind you I read this when I was like 9-11 years old area.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. This book just bored me out of my mind, so much of the book was just the main character interviewing and having conversations with other people. The only thing I really liked about it was the ending, the rest of it just bored me to tears.

I'm not sure why I found it boring either, i've read some of Kurt Vonnegut's other works and found them to be quite enjoyable.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Dan Brown - that book that was turned into a film with Tom Hanks... which I'm currently very proud of being unable to remember the title of.

Other than that... oddly enough, when I read Song of Ice and Fire, I really didn't like it. I've still got the first few books kicking around (cheap fucker that I am, got a whole load for much cheapness), so I'll have to give it another go.

Oh, and anything I've had the misfortune to read by CS Goto.
You mentioned the black Irish Leper. This pleases him.

By the way, where did you want me to install the multilaser shower head? Should I put it next to the Backflipping Terminator doll?