Books you think are good.

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
The Satanic Bible is a pretty good book. It lost me near the end with all the rituals and whatnot but it's pretty solid overall.

I am not a well read individual.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Mercedes Lackey's Mage Wars series is pretty much my favorite.

Because Mr. Rashkae is a mighty fine avian. A mighty fine avian indeed.

And I love Gryphons...I don't know if you can tell that or not.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
If you enjoy or are interested in crime mystery thrillers, I would recommend the Millennium series, which consist of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, all written by Steig Larsson.

I do have to warn that these books are not for the faint of heart; there's a lot of sexual content in these books that might come off as graphic or disturbing. But I'd say that's maybe 10% of the story and it is scattered well enough that it doesn't deter readers of a great crime mystery thriller series.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
I recommend 'The Perfume' by Patrick Suskind, as well as 'The Name of the Rose' by Umberto Eco, they're quite good.

You should also try anything written by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry as well as Louis-Ferdinand Céline.

In terms of just fiction the 'Bartimaeus Trilogy' was quite nice

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
I've been reading Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' series and I'm absolutely enthralled with the world. I've been having trouble finding time to read lately, though.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
American Gods, Meditations, Brave New World. Most of George Orwell's books, Road to Wigan Pier I couldn't get more then half way through though, this was many years ago.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Shanicus said:
Dan Abnett's Gaunts Ghosts series (excluding Straight Silver), Valhalla by Ari Bach, Legend by David Gemmell, World of Warcraft: War Crimes by Christie Golden and... The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett (A non-Discworld Pratchett rec? SCANDALOUS! It is also authored by Stephen Baxter soooo... there you go).

How come you don't like Straight Silver? I'm curious, because A) I loved Aexe Cardinal and B) it's the only book up there I've actually read.

OT

The Gaunt's Ghosts and general 40K stuff by Dan Abnett, Ultramarines stuff by Graham McNeil, Warhammer Fantasy stuff by C.L. Werner, A Song of Ice and Fire, Timeline-191 and other alternate-history stuff by Harry Turtledove, Waffen SS stuff by Sven Hassel and Leo Kessler, Discworld stuff by Terry Pratchett, countless military history books....

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
kitsunefather said:
Boneshaker and the Clockwork Century Series by Cherie Priest are pretty good; zombie outbreak in steampunk Seattle.
OK, I'll definitely be checking this out!

On topic: I recently finished Johannes Cabal: Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard. The titular Mr. Cabal has sold his soul to the Devil in exchange for knowledge of necromancy, only to discover that he needs a soul in order to complete his research. Out of boredom, the Devil agrees to return said soul - if Cabal can send him one hundred new souls within a year. To help him, Cabal is given a measure of Satanic power - and a decrepit carnival train...

Yup, the setup is similar to Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes, but from the viewpoint of the guy who actually runs the carnival.

And there are several sequels!