Boondock Saints II = Welcome Failure

Lovelocke

Apr 6, 2009
Boondock Saints II is a catastrophic flop: $8,000,000 budget, $450,000 opening weekend despite opening in more theaters, having a larger advertising budget (on TOP of the $8,000,000 filming budget) and around a decade of drunken Irish fanboys praising the film to hell and back. As of this time, Rotten Tomatoes critical consensus gives the film a certified rotten 14%: Comparable to other "Box Office Smash Hits That'll Turn 2-For-1 or 3-For-1 DVD Value Packs in 2 Years" in theaters now... such as "Amelia", "Couples Retreat", and "Love Happens".

At least it's in keeping with the original film: $6,000,000 budget, $30,000 earned over its LIFETIME in theaters and 10 years worth of critical consensus on Rotten Tomatoes totaling a 16% rating.

Let that be the last nail in Duffy's coffin... I'm pretty sick of all the Tarantino knockoffs at this late stage: Even Tarantino's sick of Tarantino, that's why we ended up with "Kill Bill and Everything After That".

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I... wait... what does Tarantino have to do with this movie?

Lovelocke

Apr 6, 2009
Gxas said:
Tarantino Knockoff... same as how almost all cutscenes in Borderlands = Guy Ritchie Knockoffs.

Lothae

Mar 29, 2009
I thought Inglorious Basterds was a pretty fun movie - not exactly "Everything After That" imo.
And who knows, maybe the second will end up like the first - making a ton more money on DVD than in theaters. It also had a very limited release, only in 65 locations. $450,000 is pretty good for that amount of theaters as far as I know.
I doubt it'll do anything noteworthy in theaters though, DVD sales will probably recoup at least some of the budget.

JRslinger

Nov 12, 2008
Lovelocke said:
. As of this time, Rotten Tomatoes critical consensus gives the film a certified rotten 14%:

At least it's in keeping with the original film: $6,000,000 budget, $30,000 earned over its LIFETIME in theaters and 10 years worth of critical consensus on Rotten Tomatoes totaling a 16% rating.
The first Boondock saints movie got bad reviews on rottentomatoes.com but I still liked it. So even though the sequel got bad reviews I'll see it anyways

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
Lovelocke said:
Gxas said:
Tarantino Knockoff... same as how almost all cutscenes in Borderlands = Guy Ritchie Knockoffs.
There's like 6 cutscenes in borderlands and they are only like a few seconds long except the intro and outro ones. I don't see how they are Guy Ritchie knockoffs either.

OT: I was gonna go and see boondock saints 2 but is it actually any good?

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Lovelocke said:
Gxas said:
I see. Well, I am sorry that that movie was ruined for you. I will still be seeing it as I loved the first when many didn't. And, if MovieBob is correct in his saying, which he usually is, this movie is basically the same as the first with a slightly different story.