Bootleg Vietnamese Pokemon Brings the Volcano Bakemeat

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
ah yes... I remember back in the old days playing these Pokemon fan translated ROMs to get the feel of the game until the actual english version came out. Good times.
If this is anything like the ones I played, after a while it becomes even more incomprehensible.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Ah, pokemon crystal. I played that.
This translation is messed up though...

But, while the translation is pretty bad, I once had a similar translated Japanese ROM, and after a while you realise it's not all bad translation;

There's a technical limit in that the japanese gametext has far fewer characters than any half-decent English translation would need. (And a ROM hack needs to stay within the character limits of the japanese version a lot of the time.)
Notice the prevalance of really short pokemon names?
Tbe translations would probably be 2-3 times as long in many cases.

The official translations can re-code the game to give more room for text. (If I recall, pokemon games in particular required higher capacity cartridges for the English versions compared to the Japanese versions.)

Official translations of games have been weird at times too though;

Secret Of Mana had a technical issue in that it didn't support 'scrolling' text. Every line of text a character spoke had to fit within a single text window.

Since proper translations of the Japanese would be about twice as long, this resulted in the plot and text of the English version being seriously dumbed down to get the text to fit.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
If I didn't know better, I'd think that this is about drugs and prostitution.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
And I was just about to play Crystal myself. A good copy, thankfully. Just reached Kanto yesterday... but yeah, I much prefer watching this, that was absolutely hilarious :D.

On a related note, given the 'Drug bag... fuck!' that the assistant gives you, I was thinking earlier how Pokemon actually encourages steroid abuse to kids. Think about it. Things like X-Attack, X-Defend, and that sort of stuff? It's all drugs used to temporarily boost your Pokemon's skills for fighting! How is that not linked to taking steroids and stuff?

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Oh god, I'm laughing so hard right now!

How aren't Volcano Bakemeat and drug bag fuck internet memes by now?!?!

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
oh my god i can't believe the game actually said fuck. I mean, the translation was pretty screwed up already but damn. this video really made my day.

MercylessMing

Nov 22, 2009
To anyone who wanted to know a pillory is a device that was used in midevil times to restrain prisoners. It consists of two wooden slats with semi-circles cut out for hands and head.